- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Differences in Attitudes between Korean and Chinese University Students Learning Korean in Korea
한국 대학생들과 한국에서 한국어를 배우는 중국 대학생들의 태도 차이
- Received : 2009.09.29
- Accepted : 2010.02.17
- Published : 2010.03.28
The purpose of this study is to investigate whether there are differences in three attitudes-attitudes toward English learning, attitudes toward American, and attitudes toward American culture between Korean and Chinese university students learning Korean in Korea. The subjects are 211 students, who are 101 Korean and 110 Chinese. Gardner(1985)'s AMTB questionnaire was administered to measure the learners' attitudes. And the collected data were analyzed by t-test to examine the differences between two groups. The results of this study showed that there were statistically very significant differences in attitudes toward English learning and there were significant differences in attitudes toward American between two groups. But there were no differences statistically in attitudes toward American culture between two groups. To make better learning environment for English learners, the differences in other affective variables between two groups need to be studied.
Attitudes Toward English Learning;Affective Variables;Attitudes Toward American Culture;Attitudes Toward American
- 이효웅, “한국 중.고등학생의 태도와 동기가 영어 학습에 미치는 영향”, 영어교육, 51,2, pp.3-34, 1996.
- 이효웅, 영어교육 태도, 동기 및 책략과 성취도와의 상관관계, 서울, 한국문화사, 1999.
- 이효웅, 오준일, "영어 학습태도와 능력간의 상관관계", 영어교육, 55, 4, pp.289-309, 2000.
- H. D. Brown, Principles of Language Learning and Teaching, 4th ed, New York, Longman, 2000.
- R. Ellis, 외국어습득론, 김윤경 역, 한국문화사, 1998.
- R. C. Gardner, The Attitude/Motivation, Test Battery: Technical Report, University of Western Ontario, 1985.
- R. C. Gardner and W. E. Lambert, Attitudes and Motivation in Second Language Learning, Rowley, MA., Newbury House, 1972.
- G. Hermann, "Attitudes and Success in Children's Learning of English as a Second Language: the Motivational vs. the Resultative Hypothesis,“ English Language Teaching Journal, 34,4, pp.247-254, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/34.4.247
- R. Lado, Language Teaching, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1964.
- J. W. Oller, A. J. Hudson, and P. F. Liu, "Attitudes and Attained Proficiency in ESL: Sociolinguistics Study of Native Speakers of Chinese in the United States," Language Learning, 27, pp.1-27, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1977.tb00289.x
- B. Spolsky, “Attitudinal aspects of second language learning,” Language Learning 19, pp.271-283, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1969.tb00468.x
- E. B. Stewart, "School Structural Characteristics, Student Effort, Peer Associations, and Parental Involvement: The influence of school and individual-level factors on academic achievement," Education and Urban Society, 40,2, pp.179-204, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013124507304167