- Volume 34 Issue 2
It has been recognized that the risk from the vulnerability of GPS can lead to the extreme damage in the infrastructure of the civil and military in recent years. As an example, the intentional interference to GPS signal, named GPS jamming, was really performed to misguide GPS guided weapons during Iraq war in 2003, and the fact has also followed by the serious issues on GPS in civilian community. In the modernized military society, the navigation warfare(NAVWAR) based on the GPS jamming has been emerged and introduced as a military operation. The intentional interference to the future global navigation satellite system(GNSS) involving GPS must be also an important issue to civilian users in near future. This study is focused on the fundamental research prior to the research on "Potential principle of NAVWAR" under NAVWAR of the future warfare. In this paper, we would study on the investigation of NAVWAR based on electronic warfare(EW) and analyze characteristics of the jamming against GNSS's receivers. Then the general mechanism on GNSS jamming is proposed.
GPS;GNSS;Jamming;Navigation warfare;Electronic Warfare
- Borje, F. and Trond, B. O.(2003), "Susceptibilities of Some of Civil GPS Receivers", GPS World, January 2003, GPS Web site:http //:www.gps world.com.
- Boggs, M. and Maraffio, K. C.(1997), "Mitigation Path for Free-Space GPS Jamming", The Federation for America Scientist(FAS) Web Site://http//www. fas.org/military/program.
- Chung, N. S.(2004), "The Analysis of GPS Jamming in Modern Warefare", Graduation Thesis, in Korea Naval War College.
- David, L.(2009a), "GPS Forensics, Crime, and Jamming" GPS World, October 2009, GPS World Web Site: http://www.gpsworld.com/defense.
- David, L.(2009b), "GNSS Vulnerabilities Conference Discusses Solutions to Jamming, Interference", GPS World September 2009, GPS World Web Site://www.gpsworld.com//gnss.
- DATQ(2007), "Report Investigation of Defense Technology in 2007", Regular Report of Defense Agency for Technology Quality in 2007, Vol 3, pp. 225-251.
- DOT(2001), "Vulnerability Assessment of the Transportation Infrastructure Relying on the Global Posioning System", John A. Volpe National Transportation Systems Center, Final Report in 2001, pp.29-39, pp.70-80.
- DOD & DOT(2001), "Federal Radio Navigation Plan", The Department of Transportation, USA, pp. I-4-IV-6.
- Fonta, R. D., Cheung, W., and Stansell, T.(2001), "The New L2 Civil Signal", GPS World, September 2001, pp.28-34.
- Hong, S. R.(2000), "The future EW and perspective of EW in Naval Warfare", Graduation Thesis, in Korea Naval War College.
- Joint Chief of Staff(2007), "Electronic Warfare", Joint Publication of Chief Staff, USA, pp. I-2-I-11.
- Kaplan, E. D. and Hegarty, C. J.(2006), "Understanding PS: Principles and Applications", 2nd ed., Artec House, London, pp. 243-271.
- Kaplan, E. D. and Hegarty, C. J.(1996), "Understanding GPS : Principles and Applications", 1st ed., Artec House, London, pp. 97-100, pp. 219-226.
- KNWC(2003), "The Analysis of the Miliary Operation in Iraq War", Korea Naval War College, Daejeon, pp.245-265.
- Ko, K. S.(2010), "Circumstance Change of GNSS & Application Strategy of Navigation Technology for Modern Weapon System", The Journal of the Korea Institute of Maritime Information & Communication Science, Vol.14, pp.268-275. https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2010.14.1.267
- Ko, K. S.(1983), "A Study on PN Phase Modulation Communication System in GPS", Master's Thesis in Korea Maritime University.
- Lee, K. S.(2007), "The perspective of the effectiveness EW performance", Graduation Thesis, in Korea Naval War College.
- Lee. Y. C. and Hyun, Y. H.(1986), "Principle of EW", The Korea Naval Academy, Jinhae, pp. 14-31.
- Parkinson, B. W. and Spilker, Jr.(1996), "Global Positioning System Theory and Applications Volume I", American Istitute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Washington D.C., pp. 245-257, pp. 329-340.
- Spilker, J. J. Jr.(1978), "GPS Signal Structure and Performance Characteristics", The Institute of Navigation, Vol 25. no. 2.
- USN(2006), "Principles of Naval Weapon Systems", Naval Institute Press, Annapolis, Maryland, pp. 84-98.
- Van Sickle, J.(2001), "GPS for Land Surveyors", CRC Press, London, pp. 15-21.
- Van Dierendonck, A. J. and Russel, S. S.(1978), "The GPS Navigation Message", The Institute of Navigation, Vol 25, no. 2, pp. 147-148. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-4296.1978.tb01326.x
- Van Dierendonck, A. J. and Hegarty, C. J.(2000), "The New Civil GPS L5 Signal", GPS World, September 2000, pp. 64-71.
- 1. Mathematical Algorithms for Two-Dimensional Positioning Based on GPS Pseudorange Technique vol.8, pp.5, 2010, doi:10.5394/KINPR.2010.34.2.097
- 2. A Study on the DOP Improvement using Hybrid Satellite Navigation System vol.15, pp.9, 2011, doi:10.5394/KINPR.2010.34.2.097