- Volume 10 Issue 5
While Long Term Evolution-Frequency Division Duplexing (LTE-FDD) is regarded as one of the strong candidates for "4G" wireless broadband access in FDD field, LTE-Time Division Duplexing (TDD) is emerging as one possible migration path for WiMAX-TDD in some cases as well as the migration path for Time Division-Synchronous Code Division Multiple Access (TD-SCDMA). In this paper, we analyze the feasibility of dual mode with LTE-TDD in two combinations: dual mode LTE-FDD/TDD and dual mode Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access (WiMAX)-TDD/LTE-TDD. Thanks to the commonality in numerology, terminology, and frame structure between LTE-FDD and LTE-TDD, dual mode LTE-FDD/TDD looks feasible in a cost-effective manner. Thanks to the commonality in scheduling algorithm, control mechanism, and supported spectrum bands, it is shown that dual mode WiMAX-TDD/LTE-TDD looks feasible as well. It should be also noted that the commonality in numerology and frame structure is critical for building a chip while the commonality in algorithms and control mechanisms is critical to make it work.
Supported by : 정보통신산업진흥원
- ITU-R Working Party 5D (WP 5D) - IMT systems: http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/index.asp?category=study-groups&rlink=rwp5d&lang=en
- 3GPP TS 25.211, Physical channels and mapping of transport channels onto physical channels (FDD), V9.1.0, Dec. 2009
- 3GPP TS 25.221, Physical channels and mapping of transport channels onto physical channels (TDD), V9.2.1, July 2010
- 3GPP TS 36.211, Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA); Physical channels and modulation, V9.1.0, March 2010
- 3GPP TS 36.101, Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA); User Equipment (UE) radio transmission and reception, V9.4.0, June 2010
- IEEE Std 802.16e-2005, IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks, Part 16: Air interface for fixed and mobile broadband wireless access systems, Feb. 2006
- IEEE Std 802.16-2009, IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks, Part 16: Air interface for broadband wireless access systems, May 2009
- IEEE P802.16m/D7, Draft amendment to IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks, Part 16: Air interface for broadband wireless access systems, July 2010
- WiMAX forum, WiMAX forumTM mobile system profile: Release 1 - IMT-2000 edition, July 2009
- WiMAX forum, WiMAX forumTM mobile certification profile, April 2006
- WiMAX forum, BOD Approved Mobile Certification Profiles as of February 2009: http://members.wimaxforum.org/kws/certification
- Hyung G. Myung, Junsung Lim, and David J. Goodman, "Single carrier FDMA for uplink wireless transmission," IEEE Vehicular Technol. Magazine, Sep. 2006.
- David Falconer, et. al., "Frequency domain equalization for single-carrier broadband wireless systems," IEEE Commun. Magazine, April 2002.
- Chen-Hung Lin, Chun-Yu Chen, and An-Yeu Wu, "Area-efficient scalable MAP processor design for high-throughput multistandard convolutional Turbo decoding," IEEE Trans. On VLSI Systems, Oct. 2009
- Ji-Hoon Kim and In-Cheol Park, "A unified parallel radix-4 Turbo decoder for mobile WiMAX and 3GPP-LTE," in Proceeding of IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (CICC) 2009, 2009.
- Di Wu, et. al., "VLSI implementation of a multi-standard MIMO symbol detector for 3GPP LTE and WiMAX," in Proceeding of IEEE Wireless Telecommunications Symposium (WTS) 2010, 2010.
- YH Chow, et. al., "A 29dBm linear power amplifier module for IEEE 802.16e (Wimax) and LTE applications using E-mode pHEMT technology," in Proceeding of IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology (RFIT) 2009, 2009.
- V. Krishnamurthy, et. al., "SiGe power amplifier ICs for 4G (WIMAX and LTE) mobile and nomadic applications," in Proceeding of IEEE Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium (RFIC) 2010, 2010.
- Youn Suk Jeong, et. al., "Internal mobile antenna for LTE/GSM850/GSM900/PCS1900/WiMAX/WL AN," in Proceeding of IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS) 2010, 2010.
- S. Rodriguez, A. Rusu, and M. Ismail, "WiMAX/LTE receiver front-end in 90nm CMOS," in Proceeding of IEEE ISCAS 2009, 2009.
Angeliki Leonida, Orhan Hazar Mutgan, and Ana Rusu, "A digitally calibrated CT quadrature bandpass
$\Sigma\Delta$ADC for Wimax/LTE," in Proceeding of IEEE ISSCS 2009, 2009.
- K.S. Keshava Murthy, "NextGen wireless access gateway: Analysis of combining WiMAX and LTE gateway functions," in Proceeding of IEEE IMSAA 2008, 2008