- Volume 50 Issue 2
Rabies immune status in the stray and companion dogs in Korea
- Yang, Dong-Kun (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service) ;
- Yoon, Soon-Seek (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service) ;
- Lee, Kyoung-Ki (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service) ;
- Byun, Jae-Won (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service) ;
- Bae, You-Chan (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service) ;
- Oh, Yoon-I (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service) ;
- Song, Jae-Young (National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service)
- Accepted : 2010.06.10
- Published : 2010.06.30
Rabies virus (family Rhabdoviridae, genus Lyssavirus, RV) is the causative agent of rabies in mammals. We conducted a sero-epidemiological survey for RV using sera from South Korean stray and companion dogs in the present study. A total of 533 canine serum samples were collected between February 2006 and December 2007 and were screened for rabies immunity with a neutralizing peroxidase linked assay. Both companion (49.1%) and stray (60.1%) dogs demonstrated RV seropositivity. Regional RV antibody prevalence was measured in the Jeju (87.5%), Gyeonggi (62%), Gyeongsang (59.1%), Jeonra (42%), Chungcheong (37.9%), and Gangwon (30.4%) provinces. Prevalence increased with age but did not exceed 80% in any age group. Stray and companion dogs had RV antibody prevalence values of 26.7% and 23.7%, respectively. Seroprevalence was significantly associated with age
Supported by : NVRQS
- Bourhy H, Kissi B, Tordo N. Taxonomy and evolutionary studies on lyssaviruses with special reference to Africa. Onderstepoort J Vet Res 1993, 60, 277-282.
- Cho SB, Park CK, Rhim HG, Jo MY, Lee DJ, Lee ED, Lee JH, Lee BD. Serological survey of the rabies virus in dogs reared in the area around the Pukhansan National Park. Korean J Vet Serv 2001, 24, 109-116.
- Cleaveland S, Barrat J, Barrat MJ, Selve M, Kaare M, Esterhuysen J. A rabies serosurvey of domestic dogs in rural Tanzania: results of a rapid fluorescent focus inhibition test (RFFIT) and a liquid-phase blocking ELISA used in parallel. Epidemiol Infect 1999, 123, 157-164. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0950268899002563
- Dyce JM, Sack WO, Wensing CJG. Textbook of Veterinary Anatomy. 3rd ed. pp. 376-378, Saunder, Philadelphia, 2002.
- Fekadu M. Canine rabies. Onderstepoort J Vet Res 1993, 60, 421-427.
- Kasempimolporn S, Sichanasai B, Saengseesom W, Puempumpanich S, Sitprija V. Stray dogs in Bangkok, Thailand: rabies virus infection and rabies antibody prevalence. Dev Biol (Basel) 2008, 131, 137-143.
- Kim CH, Lee CG, Yoon HC, Nam HM, Park CK, Lee JC, Kang MI, Wee SH. Rabies, an emerging disease in Korea. J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 2006, 53, 111-115. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0450.2006.00928.x
- Kim JH, Hwang EK, Sohn HJ, Kim DY, So BJ, Jean YH. Epidemiological characteristics of rabies in South Korea from 1993 to 2001. Vet Rec 2005, 157, 53-56. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.157.2.53
- Korea Animal Heaalth Products Association. Import and Sales Amount of Animal Health Products. pp. 285-312, Korea Animal Health Products Association, Seoul, 2008.
- Kwon YB, Kim DH, Kim YH, Choi DY, Kang BJ, Lee CK, Jeon YS. Studies on the production of rabies live vaccine. II. Field application of tissue culture attenuated rabies live vaccine. Res Rept RDA 1982, 24, 87-92.
- Kwon YB, Kim YH, Lim YM, Kang BJ, Lee CK. Studies on the production of rabies live vaccine. I. Biological properties of the experimentally produced tissue culture attenuated live vaccine. Res Rept RDA 1981, 23, 125-135.
- Hwang EK. Outbreak and control of rabies in animals in Korea. Kor J Vet Publ Hlth 1995, 19, 281-293.
- Hyun BH, Lee KK, Kim IJ, Lee KW, Park HJ, Lee OS, An SH, Lee JB. Molecular epidemiology of rabies virus isolates from South Korea. Virus Res 2005, 114, 113-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2005.06.004
- Lalosevic D, Lalosevic V, Lazarevic-Ivanc Lj, Knezevic I. BHK-21 cell culture rabies vaccine: immunogenicity of a candidate vaccine for humans. Dev Biol (Basel) 2008, 131, 421-429.
- Lee JH, Lee MJ, Lee JB, Kim JS, Bae CS, Lee WC. Review of canine rabies prevalence under two different vaccination programmes in Korea. Vet Rec 2001, 148, 511-512. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.148.16.511
- Office International des Epizooties (OIE). Manual of Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals 2008: Mammals, Birds and Bees. 6th ed. pp. 304-322, OIE, Paris, 2008.
- Ogawa T, Gamoh K, Kanda K, Suzuki T, Kawashima A, Narushima R, Shimazaki T. Rabies immune status of dogs brought into the Hyogo Prefecture Animal Well-being Center, Japan. J Vet Med Sci 2009, 71, 825-826. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.71.825
- Park YJ, Shin MK, Kwon HM. Genetic characterization of rabies virus isolates in Korea. Virus Genes 2005, 30, 341-347. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11262-005-6777-4
- Smith JS, Yager PA, Baer GM. A rapid reproducible test for determining rabies neutralizing antibody. Bull World Health Organ 1973, 48, 535-541.
- Tordo N, Bahloul C, Jacob Y, Jallet C, Perrin P, Badrane H. Rabies: epidemiological tendencies and control tools. Dev Biol (Basel) 2006, 125, 3-13.
- WHO. WHO expert committee on rabies. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser 1992, 824, 1-84.