- Volume 50 Issue 3
Characteristics and antimicrobial susceptibility of Escherichia coli isolated from horse
말에서 분리한 Escherichia coli의 특성 및 항생제 감수성
- Yun, Sung-Wook (College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kwon, Do-Yeon (Korea Food & Drug Administration) ;
- Choi, Seong-kyoon (College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lee, Hee-Soo (National Veterinary Research & Quarantine Service) ;
- Cho, Gil-Jae (College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University)
- Accepted : 2010.08.18
- Published : 2010.09.30
This study was conducted to investigate characteristics and antimicrobial susceptibility of Escherichia (E.) coli isolates isolated from vaginal mucosa and clitorial fossa of 105 Thoroughbred mares suspicious of the genital disease in Korea during the period from March 2006 to July 2007. Ninety six E. coli isolates were identified as standard biochemical properties and using BIOLOG system. Fifty three isolates (55.2%) could be classified into a total of 21 O serotypes and forty three isolates (44.8%) were non-typeable with 51 O antisera used in this study. The verotoxin 1 (VT 1) and verotoxin 2 genes were analyzed by multiplex PCR. Among them, one isolate was detected VT 1 gene (130 bp). Most of isolates showed a high susceptibility in ciprofloxacin (100%), enrofloxacin (100%), norfloxacin (100%), cefoxitin (96.9%), gentamicin (96.9%), sulphamethoxazole (96.9%), nitrofurantoin (94.8%), amikacin (93.8%), nalidixic acid (92.7%) and tetracycline (90.6%). These results may provide the basic information to establish strategies for the treatment and prevention of reproductive disease in Thoroughbred mares in Korea.
- 김태종, 윤회중, 최귀철, 박정문. 번식마 생식기내 세균총 조사 및 약제 감수성에 관한 연구. 건국대학교 축산대학동물자원연구소센타, 서울, 1991.
- 최성균, 이수길, 양재혁, 조길재. 더러브렛 씨암말의 생식기내 세균의 분포 및 항생제 감수성 양상. J Vet Clin 2007, 24, 19-25.
- Albihn A, Baverud V, Magnusson U. Uterine microbiology and antimicrobial susceptibility in isolated bacteria from mares with fertility problems. Acta Vet Scand 2003, 44, 121-129. https://doi.org/10.1186/1751-0147-44-121
- Anderson MA, Whitlock JE, Harwood VJ. Diversity and distribution of Escherichia coli genotypes and antibiotic resistance phenotypes in feces of humans, cattle, and horses. Appl Environ Microbiol 2006, 72, 6914-6922. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.01029-06
- Bain AM. The role of infection in infertility in the thoroughbred mare. Vet Rec 1966, 78, 168-173. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.78.5.168
- Bauer AW, Kirby WM, Sherris JC, Turck M. Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method. Am J Clin Pathol 1996, 45, 493-496.
- Bettelheim KA. Biochemical characteristics of Escherichia coli. In: Gyles CL (ed.). Escherichia coli in Domestic Animals and Humans. pp. 3-30, CAB International, Wallingford, 1994.
- Biruhtesfa A, Yilikal A, Bojia E, Ayele G, Getachew M. Aerobic bacterial isolates in equids and their antimicrobial susceptibility pattern. Intern J Appl Res Vet Med 2007, 5, 107-112.
- Clark C, Greenwood S, Boison JO, Chirino-Trejo M, Dowling PM. Bacterial isolates from equine infections in western Canada (1998-2003). Can Vet J 2008, 49, 153-160.
- Cummins C, Carrington S, Fitzpatrick E, Duggan V. Ascending placentitis in the mare: A review. Irish Vet J 2008, 61, 307-313. https://doi.org/10.1186/2046-0481-61-5-307
- Frontoso R, De Carlo E, Pasolini MP, van der Meulen K, Pagnini U, Iovane G, De Martino L. Retrospective study of bacterial isolates and their antimicrobial susceptibilities in equine uteri during fertility problems. Res Vet Sci 2008, 84, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rvsc.2007.02.008
- Giles RC, Donahue JM, Hong CB, Tuttle PA, Petrites-Murphy MB, Poonacha KB, Roberts AW, Tramontin RR, Smith B, Swerczek TW. Causes of abortion, stillbirth, and perinatal death in horses: 3,527 cases (1986-1991). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1993, 203, 1170-1175.
- Grobbel M, Lubke-Becker A, Alesík E, Schwarz S, Wallmann J, Werckenthin C, Wieler LH. Antimicrobial susceptibility of Escherichia coli from swine, horses, dogs and cats as determined in the BfTGermVet monitoring program 2004-2006. Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 2007, 120, 391-401.
- Ike K, Kamada M, Azai T, Imagawa H, Kumanomido T, Nakazawa M, Kashiwazaki M, Kume T. Some properties of Escherichia coli isolated from foals with diarrhea and mares with metritis. Bull Equine Res Inst 1987, 24, 33-41.
- Levine MM. Escherichia coli that cause diarrhea: enterotoxigenic, enteropathogenic, enteroinvasive, enterohemorrhagic, and enteroadherent. J Infect Dis 1987, 155, 377-389. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/155.3.377
- Mapes S, Rhodes DM, Wilson WD, Leutenegger CM, Pusterla N. Comparison of five real-time PCR assays for detecting virulence genes in isolates of Escherichia coli from septicaemic neonatal foals. Vet Rec 2007, 161, 716-718. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.161.21.716
- Nataro JP, Kaper JB. Diarrheagenic Escherichia coli. Clin Microbiol Rev 1998, 11, 142-201.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. Methods for Dilution Antimicrobial Susceptibility Test for Bacteria that Grow Aerobically. 5th ed. Approved Standard M7-A5. National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards, Wayne, 2000.
- Platt H. Aetiological aspects of abortion in the thoroughbred mare. J Comp Pathol 1973, 83, 199-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9975(73)90043-1
- Pollard DR, Johnson WM, Lior H, Tyler SD, Rozee KR. Rapid and specific detection of verotoxin genes in Escherichia coli by the polymerase chain reaction. J Clin Microbiol 1990, 28, 540-545.
- Ricketts SW, Young A, Medici EB. Uterine and clitorial cultures. In: McKinnon AO, Voss JL (eds.). Equine Reproduction. pp. 234-245, Lea & Febinger, Philadelphia, 1993.
- Shin SJ, Lein DH, Aronson AL, Nusbaum SR. The bacteriological culture of equine uterine contents, invitro sensitivity of organisms isolated and interpretation. J Reprod Fertil Suppl 1979, 27, 307-315.
- van Duijkeren E, van Asten AJ, Gaastra W. Characterization of Escherichia coli isolated from adult horses with and without enteritis. Vet Q 2000, 22, 162-166. https://doi.org/10.1080/01652176.2000.9695048
- Zoetendal EG, Heilig HG, Klaassens ES, Booijink CC, Kleerebezem M, Smidt H, de Vos WM. Isolation of DNA from bacterial samples of the human gastrointestinal tract. Nat Protoc 2006, 1, 870-873. https://doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2006.142