- Volume 19 Issue 6
The effects of high-resolution wind profiler (HWP) data on the wind distributions were evaluated in two different coastal areas during the study period (23-26 August, 2007), indicating weak-gradient flows. The analysis was performed using the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model coupled with a three-dimensional variational (3DVAR) data assimilation system. For the comparison purpose, two coastal regions were selected as: a southwestern coastal (SWC) region characterized by a complex shoreline and a eastern coastal (EC) region surrounding a simple coastline and high mountains. The influence of data assimilation using the HWP data on the wind distributions in the SWC region was moderately higher than that of the EC region. In comparison between the wind speed and direction in the two coastal areas, the application of the HWP data contributed to improvement of the wind direction distribution in the SWC region and the wind strength in the EC region, respectively. This study suggests that the application of the HWP data exerts a large impact on the change in wind distributions over the sea and thus can contribute to the solution to lack of satellite and buoy data with their observational uncertainty.
Wind profiler data;Different coastal areas;Data assimilation;Wind distributions;WRF;3DVAR
- 신동현, Guo, Y. R., 2002, 3DVAR를 이용한 지상 관측자료 동화의 효과, 대기, 12(1), 391-393.
- 한국학술진흥재단, 2009, 2007년도 기초연구지원기초과학(단독연구) 최종보고서, 실시간 윈드프로파일러 자료와 수치모델링을 통한 연안지역의 바람장 예측개선 및 해상풍력자원 평가.
- Bae, J. H., Kim, Y. K., Jeong, J. H., Kweon, J. H., Seo, J. W., Kim, Y. S., 2006, Improvements in the Simulation of Sea Surface Wind Over the Complex Coastal Area - 2: Data Assimilation Using LAPS, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 15(8), 745-757. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2006.15.8.745
- Chandrasekar, A., Philbrick, C. R., Doddridge, B., Clark, R., Georgopoulos, P., 2003, A comparison study of RAMS simulations with aircraft, wind profiler, lidar, tethered ballon and RASS data over Philadelphia during a 1999 summer episode, Atmospheric Environment, 37, 4973-4984. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2003.08.030
- Crook, N. A., Sun, J., 2002, Assimilating Radar, Surface, and Profiler Data for the Sydney 2000 Forecast Demonstration Project, Journal of atmospheric and oceanic technology, 19, 888-898. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0426(2002)019<0888:ARSAPD>2.0.CO;2
- Jeong, J. H., Kim, Y. K., 2009, The Application of High-resolution Land Cover and Its Effects on Near-surface Meteorological Fields in Two Different Coastal Areas, Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 25(5), 432-449. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2009.25.5.432
- Jeong, J. H., Kwun, J. H., Kim, Y. K., 2007, The Effects of Data Assimilation on Simulated Wind Fields Using Upper-Air Observations, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 16(10), 1127-1137. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2007.16.10.1127
- Kim, B. J., Lee, S. J., Cho, C. H., Ryu, C. S., Lee, S. L., Kim, H. K., 2008, A Study on the Feasibility of Automation of Upper-Air Sounding Using Autosonde Installed at Haenam, Korea, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 17(3), 325-334. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2008.17.3.325
- Kim, Y. K, Jeong, J. H., Bae, J. H., Oh, I. B., Kweon, J. H., Seo, J. W., 2006, Improvement in the Simulation of Sea Surface Wind over the Complex Coastal Area Using WRF Model, Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 22(3), 309-323.
- Kim, Y. K., Jeong, J. H., Bae, J. H., Song, S. K., Seo, J. W., 2005, Study on planetary boundary layer schemes suitable for simulation of sea surface wind in the southeastern coastal area, Korea, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 14(11), 1015-1026. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2005.14.11.1015
- Kim, Y. K., Oh, I. B., Kang, Y. H., Hwang, M. K., 2007, Modeling of the Air Pollutant Recirculation using the MM5-CAMx on Ozone Episode in Greater Seoul Area during June, 2004, Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 23(3), 297-310. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2007.23.3.297
- Lee, H. W., Won, H. Y., Choi, H. J., 2004, Numerical Simulation of Atmospheric Flow Fields Using Surface Observational Data in the Complex Coastal Regions, Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 20(5), 633-645.
- Lo, S., 2009, The effects on improvement of coastal wind simulation using SRTM topography data and wind profiler data assimilation, A M.S. thesis, Division of Earth Environmental System, Pusan National University.
- NCAR TECHNICAL NOTE, 2008, A description of the advanced research WRF Version 3.[NCAR/TN-475+SRT, avaliable from National Center for Atmospheric Reseach, P.O. Bos 3000, Boulder, Co 80307-3000.
- Oh, H. S., Ghim, Y. S., 2001, Numerical study of atmospheric dispersion of a substance released from an industrial complex in the southern coast of Korea, Atmospheric Environment, 35, 3103-3111. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(01)00070-X
- Park, O. R., Kim, Y. S., Cho, C. H., 2005, The Observing System Experiments, with the Windprofiler and Autosonde at Haenam, Journal of Korean Meteorological Society, 41(1), 57-71.
- Skamarock, W. C., Klemp, J., Dudhia, J., Gill, D. O., Barker, D. M., Wang, W., Powers, J. G., 2005, A description of the Advanced Research WRF Version 2. NCAR Technical Note, NCAR/TN-468+STR. Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado, USA.
- Won, H. Y., Cho, C. H., Baek, S. K., 2006, Classification of Precipitation Type Using the Wind Profiler Observations and Analysis of the Associated Synoptic Conditions: Years 2003-2005, Atmosphere, 16(3), 235-246.
- 1. Local Wind Field Simulation over Coastal Areas Using Windprofiler Data vol.22, pp.2, 2016, doi:10.5322/JES.2010.19.6.689
- 2. Sensitivity Analysis of the WRF Model according to the Impact of Nudging for Improvement of Ozone Prediction vol.25, pp.5, 2016, doi:10.5322/JES.2010.19.6.689