- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Classified Congenital Muscular Torticollis Applied Therapeutic Massage and Manual Stretch Therapy During 6 Months
6개월간의 치료적 마사지와 도수신장 치료에 대한 선천성 근성 사경 환아의 유형별 특성
- Received : 2010.01.04
- Accepted : 2010.03.25
- Published : 2010.04.28
The main purpose of this prospective longitudinal study was to evaluate, according to a standard clinical classification and assessment method, the effect of a standardized manual stretching and therapeutic massage program on patients with clearly defined congenital muscular torticollis. A total of 52 cases of congenital muscular torticollis who were first seen when they were less than one year old and were treated with conservative physical therapy. Before treatment, the patients were divided into one of three clinical groups: (1) sternomastoid tumor group, (2) muscular torticollis group, and (3) postural torticollis group. Of the 52 patients, 32 (61.5%) made up the sternomastoid tumor group; 15 (28.9%) the muscular torticollis group; and 5 (9.6%) the postural torticollis group. Multivariate analysis of the outcomes showed that the duration of treatment was significantly differentiated according to the clinical group (p<0.01), age at presentation (p<0.01), and a passive rotation deficit of the neck (p<0.01). The current study showed that well controlled conservative physical therapy is safe and effective in the treatment of congenital torticollis in about 84.6% of patients who are first seen before the age of one year.
Congenital Muscular Torticollis;Conservative Physical Therapy;Presentation Age
- H. Binder, G. D. Eng, J. F. Gaiser, and B. Koch, "Congenital muscular torticollis: Results of conservative management with long-term follow-up in 85 cases," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.68, No.4, pp.222-225, 1987.
- S. T. Canale, D. W. Griffin, and C. N. Hubbard, "Congenital muscular torticollis. A long-term follow-up," J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol.64, No.6, pp.810-816, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198264060-00002
- S. Suzuki, T. Yamamuro, and A. Fujita, "The aetiological relationship between congenital torticollis and obstetrical paralysis," Int Orthop, Vol.8, No.3, pp.175-181, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00269913
- J. C. Cheng and A. W. Au, "Infantile torticollis: a review of 624 cases," J Pediatr Orthop, Vol.14, No.6, pp.802-808, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1097/01241398-199414060-00022
- M. B. Coventry and L. E. Harris, "Congenital muscular torticollis in infancy; some observations regarding treatment," J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol.41-A, No.5, pp.815-822, 1959.
- C. M. Ling and Y. S. Low, "Sternomastoid tumor and muscular torticollis," Clin Orthop Relat Res, Vol.86, pp.144-150, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-197207000-00020
- 황성관, 이국일, "가족성 선천성 근성 사경: 일가족 2례 보고", 대한정형외과학회지, 제21권, pp.955-958, 1986.
- J. C. Cheng, M. W. Wong, S. P. Tang, T. M. Chen, S. L. Shum, and E. M. Wong, "Clinical determinants of the outcome of manual stretching in the treatment of congenital muscular torticollis in infants. A prospective study of eight hundred and twenty-one cases," J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol.83-A, No.5, pp.679-687, 2001.
- F. A. Chandler, "Muscular torticollis," J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol.30A, No.3, pp.566-569, 1948.
- D. L. Morrison and G. D. MacEwen, "Congenital muscular torticollis: observations regarding clinical findings, associated conditions, and results of treatment," J Pediatr Orthop, Vol.2, No.5, pp.500-505, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1097/01241398-198212000-00007
- D. Macdonald, "Sternomastoid tumour and muscular torticollis," J Bone Joint Surg Br, Vol.51, No.3, pp.432-443, 1969.
- K. Hulbert, "Congenital torticollis," J Bone Joint Surg Br, Vol.32, pp.50-59, 1950.
- 전지은, 류혜경, 심재원, "선천성근성 사경의 임상적 특징", 대한소아과학회지, 제50권, pp.241-247, 2007.
- A. McDaniel, B. E. Hirsch, A. D. Kornblut, and V. M. Armbrustmacher, "Torticollis in infancy and adolescence," Ear Nose Throat J, Vol.63, No.10, pp.478-487, 1984.
- C. Emery, "The determinants of treatment duration for congenital muscular torticollis," Phys Ther, Vol.74, No.10, pp.921-929, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/74.10.921
- Y. K. Leung, and P. C. Leung, "The efficacy of manipulative treatment for sternomastoid tumours," J Bone Joint Surg Br, Vol.69, No.3, pp.473-478, 1987.
- R. D. Ferkel, G. W. Westin, E. G. Dawson, and W. L. Oppenheim, "Muscular torticollis. A modified surgical approach," J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol.65, No.7, pp.894-900, 1983. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198365070-00003
- E. H. Lee, Y. K. Kang, and K. Bose, "Surgical correction of muscular torticollis in the older child," J Pediatr Orthop, Vol.6, No.5, pp.585-589, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1097/01241398-198609000-00011
- J. C. Cheng, S. P. Tang, T. M. Chen, M. W. Wong, and E. M. Wong, "The clinical presentation and outcome of treatment of congenital muscular torticollis in infants-a study of 1,086 cases," J Pediatr Surg, Vol.35, No.7, pp.1091-1096, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpsu.2000.7833
- J. C. Cheng, S. P. Tang, and T. M. Chen, "Sternocleidomastoid pseudotumor and congenital muscular torticollis in infants: A prospective study of 510 cases," J Pediatr, Vol.134, No.6, pp.712-716, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3476(99)70286-6
- R. T. Lidge, R. C. Bechtol, and C. N. Lambert, "Congenital muscular torticollis: Etiology and pathology," J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol.39-A, No.5, pp.1165-1182, 1957.
- T. T. Do, "Congenital muscular torticollis: Current concepts and review of treatment," Curr Opin Pediatr, Vol.18, No.1, pp.26-29, 2006.
- P. Nucci, B. J. Kushner, M. Serafino, and N. Orzalesi, "A multi-disciplinary study of the ocular, orthopedic, and neurologic causes of abnormal head postures in children," Am J Ophthalmol, Vol.140, No.1, pp.65-68, 2005.
- B. Tatli, N. Aydinli, M. Caliskan, M. Ozmen, F. Bilir, and G. Acar, "Congenital muscular torticollis: Evaluation and classification," Pediatr Neurol, Vol.34, No.1, pp.41-44, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pediatrneurol.2005.06.010
- J. S. Shim, K. C. Noh, and S. J. Park, "Treatment of congenital muscular torticollis in patients older than 8 years," J Pediatr Orthop, Vol.24, No.6, pp.683-688, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/01241398-200411000-00016
- Effect of Cervical and Thoracic Stretching and Strengthening Exercise Program on Forward Head Posture vol.11, pp.10, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.10.293
- Correlations Between Ultrasonographic Findings of Sternocleidomastoid Muscle and Torticollis Overall Assessment of Congenital Muscular Torticollis in Infants vol.11, pp.5, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.5.233