- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Review on the Educational Possibilities of The Virtual Museum as Online Learning Environments
온라인 학습환경으로서 가상박물관(Virtual Museum)의 가능성에 대한 탐구
- Received : 2010.01.05
- Accepted : 2010.03.22
- Published : 2010.04.28
As digital technologies have strongly impacted the whole social aspects, so museum recently emerging as an alternative or supplementary learning environment to school, after active adoption to the technologies, gave birth to museum websites called 'Virtual Museums' which, then, result in enhancing the educational roles and functions of physical museum. In this context, this study aimed to review the process of how virtual museum has been developed in terms of its educational roles and characteristics in accordance with the evolutionary development of web. Especially, the analysis of the status quo of the current virtual museums in both Korea and overseas presented specific aspects of the educational elements and roles embedded in virtual museum which have been emphasized in many related research and studies. The categories of the roles of the virtual museum, as a result, were classified into 'digital archive,' 'learning resources,' and 'communigy,' each of which were, then, further elaborated for its individual educational uses. Eventually this study purposed to expand the public awareness and knowledge of virtual museum as the alternative online learning environments needed in the 21st century.
Virtual Museum;Online Learning Environment;web 2.0
- 박인우, "유비쿼터스 환경을 지향하는 미래교실 구성방안", 연구보고 CR 2006-14, 서울: 한국교육 학술정보연구원, 2006.
- J. Jenson and C, Rose, "Finding space for technology: pedagogical observations on the organization of computers in school environments," Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology, Vol.32, No.1, pp.32-45, 2006.
- W. Schweibenz, "The development of virtual museums," ICOM NEWS, 2004(3).
- K. Sumption, "Chapter 34: Beyond museum walls: an exploration of the origns and future of web-based,museum education outreach," In Weiss, J., et al. the international handbook of virtual learning environments, pp.915-937, 2006.
- S. Eddisford and D. Prosser, "Virtual mseum learning," Information Technology in Childhood Education Annual, pp.281-297, 2004.
- R. Hawkey, "Learning with digital technologies in museums," science centres and galleries. Futurelab, 2004(9).
- D. Bearman and J. Trant, Technologies, like museum, are social. Museum and the web, 2006.
- S. Bernstein, "Where do we go from here? continuing with web 2.0 at the brooklyn museum," Museums and the Web, 2008.
- J. Bowen, "Wiki software and facilities for museums," Museums and the Web, 2007.
- D. Greenfield, "Youtube to musetube-now we have web 2.0 tools, how do we use them?" Museums and the Web, 2008.
- S. B. Joan, "Research on 'quality' in online experiences for museum users," canadian heritage information network, contents Pub, 2004.
- P. F. Marty, "Museum website and museum visitors: digital museum resources and their use," museum management and curationship, Vol.23, No.1, pp.81-99. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/09647770701865410
- J. Packer, Beyond learning: Exploring visitors' perception of the value and benefits of museum experiences, curator: the museum journal, Vol.51, No.1, pp.33-54, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2151-6952.2008.tb00293.x
- O. Moritsch, "Creating 3D virtual exhibitions, in international cultural heritage informatics meeting(ICHIM07)," contents Pub, Archives & Museum Informatics, 2007.
- C. Timpson, "3D Artefacts: enriching user interaction with your collections," Museums and the Web, 2008.
- J. Oberlander, "Building an adaptive museum gallery in second life," Museums and the Web, 2008.
- R. Urban, "A second life for your museum: 3D Multi-User Virtual Environments and Museums," Museum and the Web, 2007.
- H. Astudillo, "Contexta/SR: a multiinstitutional semantic integration platform," Museums and the Web, 2008.
- J. Ossenbruggen, "Searching and annotating virtual heritage collections with semantic-web Techniques," Museums and the Web, 2007.
- M. Leftwich and M. Bazley, "Pedagogy and Design: Understanding Teacher Use of On-line Museum Resources," Museums and the Web, 2009.
- C. Copeland, "Out of Our Mines! A Retrospective Look at On-line Museum Collections-Based Learning and Instruction (1997-2006)," Museums and the Web, 2006.
- F. Garzotto and P. Paolini, "Bringing Cultural Heritage Into Primary School Classrooms Through Web Technology," Museums and the Web, 2008.
- W. Schweibenz, "The development of virtual museums," ICOM NEWS, No.3, 2004.
- A. B. Ainsworth and C, Avram and J. Sheard, "The Monash Museum of Computing History," ACM SIGCSE Bulletin, Vol.40, No.2, pp.31-34, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1145/1473195.1473214
- B. J. Soren, "Best practices in creating quality online experiences for museum users," Museum management and Curator, Vol.20, No.2, pp.131-148, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/09647770500402002
- G. E. Hein, "Learning in the museum," contents Pub, Routledge, 1998.
- J. H. Falk and L. D. Dierkins, "Learning from museums: visitor experiences and the making of meaning," contents Pub, Rowman & Littlefield, 2000.
- T. Anderson, D. R. Garrison, and R. Garrison, "E-Learning in the 21st century: a framework for research and practice," contents Pub, Routledge, 2003.
- 강인애, 왜 구성주의인가, 문음사출판사, 1997.
- 이장혁, 이호영, 정은희, "웹2.0시대 디지털 콘텐 츠의 사회적 확산 경로 연구", KISDI연구보고, 07-03, 정보통신정책연구원, 2007.
- L. Kelly and A. Russo, "From ladders of participation to networks of participation: social media and museum audiences," Museums and the Web, 2008.
- P. C. Rogers, "Web 2.0 Learning platform: Harnessing Collective Intelligence," Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, Vol.8, No.3, pp.16-33, 2006.
- 류재만, "학교 연계 박물관.미술관 학습을 위한 워크시트 개발 프로세스에 관한 연구", 미술교육 연구논총, 제23집, pp.121-144, 2008.
- 최석영, "학교교과과정에서 박물관 활용:왜 중요하고 어떻게 할 것인가", 역사와 역사교육, 제14. 집, pp.2-15, 2007.
- H. Din, "Play to learn: exploring online educational games in museums," International Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, No.13, 2006.
- 이정원, "초등학교에서의 사이버박물관 활용 e-PBL 수업 사례 연구", 경희대학교 박물관 미술관교육 석사학위논문, 2009.
- 강인애, 설진성. "가상박물과을 활용한 학교문화 예술교육 수업사례연구", 교육방법연구, 제22권, 제1호 , pp.1-28, 2010.
- http://www.met museum.org
- http://www.museum.seoul.kr/kor/mms/kh_ mms_list.jsp
- A Study of the Educational Effects of Aesthetic Experience through Culture and Arts Based Learning Development Case vol.14, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.02.517