- Volume 6 Issue 3
Aerobic exercise affects cerebral circulation, action of neurotransmitters, glucose, oxygen, and energetic substances and influence on the central nervous system for cognition. This study suggests that both the intensity of exercise and the level of cognitive task need to be considered. Computerized neurobehavioral testing is a more effective method, compared to conventional methods, of neuropsychological testing when measuring cognition objectively, in cases that we found. The intensity of 80% max HR had effect on more complex tasks such as 3 Digit Addition and Digit Span Backward, and the intensity of 65% max HR had an effect on more simple tasks such as Color Word Vigilance and Digit Span Forward. We can assume that different intensity of aerobic exercise might involve specific areas of the brain as they could have different sensitivities, so further studies measuring regional cerebral blood flow or electroencephalogram are needed to confirm the results.
- B. Hatfield and D. Landers, "Psychophysiology: A new direction for sport psychology," Journal of Sport Psychology, vol. 5, 1983, pp. 243-259. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsp.5.3.243
- D. Glenister, "Exercise and mental health: a review," The Journal of the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health, vol. 116, 1996, pp. 7-13. https://doi.org/10.1177/146642409611600102
- A. Sharma, V. Madaan, and F. Petty, "Exercise for mental health," The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 8, 2006, pp. 61-70.
- L. Lundy-Ekman, Neuroscience : fundamentals for rehabilitation, Saunders/Elsevier, St. Louis, 2007.
- M. B. Pontifex, C. H. Hillman, B. Fernhall, K. M. Thompson, and T. A. Valentini, "The effect of acute aerobic and resistance exercise on working memory," Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 41, 2009, pp. 927-934. https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181907d69
- H. Park, Effect of Aerobic Exercise On Cognition and Motor-Process Skills in Elderly Persons with Cognitive Impairment, master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2007.
- N. Carlson and J. Braun, Foundations of physiological psychology, Allyn and Bacon, Boston, 2002.
- J. Yoo, J.-W. Choi, H.-M. Gu, and J.-R. Chae, "The Effects of Aerobic Exercise on Psychophysiological Responses and Cognitive Processes," Korean Journal of Sports Psychology, vol. 5, 1994, pp. 19-42.
- B. M. Quaney, L. A. Boyd, J. M. McDowd, L. H. Zahner, J. He, M. S. Mayo, and R. F. Macko, "Aerobic exercise improves cognition and motor function poststroke," Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, vol. 23, 2009, pp. 879-885. https://doi.org/10.1177/1545968309338193
- K. B. Min, J. Y. Min, D. Paek, J. Sakong, and S. I. Cho, "Parental effects on children's neurobehavioral function," Neurotoxicology, vol. 28, 2007, pp. 426-431. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuro.2006.12.005
- J. Sakong, "Neurobehaviral Assessment of the Workers Exposed to Organic Solvents," Korean Journal of Occupational Health, vol. 41, 2002, pp. 8-15, 2002.
- J. H. Chung, J. Sakong, P. S. Kang, C. Y. Kim, K. S. Lee, M. J. Jeon, N. J. Sung, S. H. Ahn, and K. C. Won, "Cross-cultural comparison of neurobehavioral performance in Asian workers," Neurotoxicology, vol. 24, 2003, pp. 533-540. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0161-813X(03)00056-1
- M. McCloskey, "Beyond task dissociation logic: A richer conception of cognitive neuropsychology," Cortex, vol. 39, 2003, pp. 196-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-9452(08)70101-1
- J. Chung, C. Kim, J. Sakong, M. Jeon, and H. Park, "Development of Korean neurobehavioral test batteryassessment of the validity of traditional and computerized neurobehavioral tests," Korean Journal of Prevenetive Medicine, vol. 31, 1998, pp. 697-707.
- J. Sakong, Development of Computerized Neurobehavioral Test for Screening of Occupational Neurologic Disease and Establishment of Norm Database, Yeungnam University, Daegu, 2004.
- M. D. Lezak, Neuropsychological assessment, 4th ed., Oxford University Press, New York, 2004.
- W. McArdle, F. Katch, and V. Katch, Essentials of exercise physiology, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2000.
- J. Weber, Nurses' handbook of health assessment, 7th ed., Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2010.
- E. Hogervorst, W. Riedel, A. Jeukendrup, and J. Jolles, "Cognitive performance after strenuous physical exercise," Perceptual and Motor Skills, vol. 83, 1996, pp. 479-488. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.1922.214.171.1249
- E. Hogervorst, W. J. Riedel, E. Kovacs, F. Brouns, and J. Jolles, "Caffeine improves cognitive performance after strenuous physical exercise," International Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 20, 1999, pp. 354-361. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-971144
- S. Lichtman and E. G. Poser, "The effects of exercise on mood and cognitive functioning," Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 27, 1983, pp. 43-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(83)90108-3
- P. Williams and S. R. Lord, "Effects of group exercise on cognitive functioning and mood in older women," Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 21, 1997, pp. 45-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-842X.1997.tb01653.x
- K. Coles and P. D. Tomporowski, "Effects of acute exercise on executive processing, short-term and longterm memory," Journal of Sports Science, vol. 26, 2008, pp. 333-344. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640410701591417
K. Ide, I. K. Schmalbruch, B. Quistorff, A. Horn, and N. H. Secher, "Lactate, glucose and
$O_2$uptake in human brain during recovery from maximal exercise," Journal of Physiology, vol. 522, 2000, pp. 159-164. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7793.2000.t01-2-00159.xm
- J. J. Moraine, M. Lamotte, J. Berre, G. Niset, A. Leduc, and R. Naeije, "Relationship of middle cerebral artery blood flow velocity to intensity during dynamic exercise in normal subjects," European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, vol. 67, 1993, pp. 35-38. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00377701
- A. L. Benton, Brain & behavior : research in clinical neuropsychology, New Brunswick N.J.: Aldine Transaction, 2009.
- X. A. Alvarez, C. Sampedro, P. Perez, M. Laredo, V. Couceiro, A. Hernandez, J. Figueroa, M. Varela, D. Arias, L. Corzo, R. Zas, V. Lombardi, L. Fernandez-Novoa, V. Pichel, R. Cacabelos, M. Windisch, M. Aleixandre, and H. Moessler, "Positive effects of cerebrolysin on electroencephalogram slowing, cognition and clinical outcome in patients with postacute traumatic brain injury: an exploratory study," International Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 18, 2003, pp. 271-278. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004850-200309000-00003
- N. Grossheinrich, A. Rau, O. Pogarell, K. Hennig-Fast, M. Reinl, S. Karch, A. Dieler, G. Leicht, C. Mulert, A. Sterr, and F. Padberg, "Theta burst stimulation of the prefrontal cortex: safety and impact on cognition, mood, and resting electroencephalogram," Biological Psychiatry, vol. 65, 2009, pp. 778-784. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsych.2008.10.029
- G. D. Pearlson, G. J. Harris, R. E. Powers, P. E. Barta, E. E. Camargo, G. A. Chase, J. T. Noga, and L. E. Tune, "Quantitative changes in mesial temporal volume, regional cerebral blood flow, and cognition in Alzheimer's disease," Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 49, 1992, pp. 402-408. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1992.01820050066012
- Y. Hoshi and M. Tamura, "Dynamic multichannel near infrared optical imaging of human brain activity," Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 75, 1993, pp. 1842-1846. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.19126.96.36.1992
- H. Obrig, C. Hirth, J. G. Junge-Hulsing, C. Doge, T. Wolf, U. Dirnagl, and A. Villringer, "Cerebral oxygenation changes in response to motor stimulation," Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 81, 1996, pp. 1174-1183. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.19188.8.131.524
- C. F. Kugler, A. Taghavy, and D. Platt, "The eventrelated P300 potential analysis of cognitive human brain aging: a review," Gerontology, vol. 39, 1993, pp. 280-303. https://doi.org/10.1159/000213544
- Y. Nakamura, K. Nishimoto, M. Akamatu, M. Takahashi, and A. Maruyama, "The effect of jogging on P300 event related potentials," Electromyography and clinical neurophysiology, vol. 39, 1999, pp. 71-74.
- Y. Yagi, K. L. Coburn, K. M. Estes, and J. E. Arruda, "Effects of aerobic exercise and gender on visual and auditory P300, reaction time, and accuracy," European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, vol. 80, 1999, pp. 402-408. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004210050611