- Volume 11 Issue 3
The increased demand for a higher performing magnetic suspension and balance system (MSBS) resulted in an increase in costs for the efforts necessary for achieving an improved MSBS. Therefore, MSBS performance should be predicted during the design in order to reduce risk. This paper presents the modeling and simulation of an MSBS that controls 6-degree of freedom (DOF) of an aerodynamic body within the MSBS. Permanent magnets and electromagnets were modeled as coils, and this assumption was verified by experimental results. Finally, an MSBS simulator was developed, predicting that the MSBS is able to contain the model within a bounded region as well as measure external forces acting on the body during wind tunnel tests.
Magnetic suspension and balance system;Modeling;Simulation;Performance prediction
- Covert, E. E. (1988). Magnetic suspension and balance systems. IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, 3, 14-22.
- Christy, R. W., Milford, F. J., and Reitz, J. R. (1993). Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory. 4th ed. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Pub. Co.
- Higuchi, H., van Langen, P., Sawada, H., and Tinney, C. E. (2006). Axial flow over a blunt circular cylinder with and without shear layer reattachment. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 22, 949-959. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2006.04.020
- Higuchi, H., Sawada, H., and Kato, H. (2008). Sting-free measurements on a magnetically supported right circular cylinder aligned with the free stream. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 596, 49-72.
- Holmes, F. T. (1937). Axial magnetic suspensions. Review of Scientific Instruments, 8, 444-447. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1752213
- Owen, A. K. and Owen, F. K. (2007). Hypersonic free flight measurement techniques. 22nd International Congress on Instrumentation in Aerospace Simulation Facilities, Pacific Grove, CA. pp. 1-11.
- Sawada, H., Kunimasu, T., and Suda, S. (2004). Sphere drag measurements with the NAL 60cm MSBS. Journal of Wind Engineering, no. 98, 129-136.
- Dynamic calibration of magnetic suspension and balance system for sting-free measurement in wind tunnel tests vol.27, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-013-0513-0
- Modeling and controller design of a novel large-gap magnetic suspension and balance system for 3D non-contact manipulation 2017, https://doi.org/10.3233/JAE-170087
- Wind Tunnel Experiment of Bluff Body Aerodynamic Models Using a New Type of Magnetic Suspension and Balance System vol.135, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4024793