- Volume 11 Issue 3
In this paper, an initial fine alignment algorithm, which is developed for the strap-down inertial navigation systems of satellite launch vehicles, is considered. For fast and accurate alignment, a simple closed-loop estimation algorithm using a proportional-integral controller is introduced. Through computer simulation for the sway condition in the launch pad, it is shown that a simple filter structure can guarantee fast computational speed that is adequate for real-time implementation as well as the required alignment accuracy and robustness. In addition, its implementation results are presented for the Naro-1 flight test.
Space launch vehicle;Inertial navigation system;Initial alignment
- Ali, J. and Jiancheng, F. Alignment of strapdown inertial navigation system: a literature survey spanned over the last 14 years. Available from: http://www.robstoddard.com/kalmanlib/StrapdownAlignment.pdf.
- Bar-Itzhack, I. Y. and Berman, N. (1988). Control theoretic approach to inertial navigation systems. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 11, 237-245. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20299
- Britting, K. R. (1971). Inertial Navigation Systems Analysis. New York, NY: Wiley-Interscience.
- Cheng, J. and De Wan, F. J. (1996). A fast initial alignment method for strapdown inertial navigation system on stationary base. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 32, 1501-1505. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.543871
- Cho, H. C., Kim, and Roh, W. R. (2005). A conceptual design for precision azimuth measuring technique of KSLV-I inertial navigation and guidance unit. Proceedings of the 2005 Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences Fall Conference, conference location. pp. 693-696.
- Euston, M., Coote, P., Mahony, R., Kim, J., and Hamel, T. (2008). A complementary filter for attitude estimation of a fixed-wing UAV. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Nice, France. pp. 340-345.
- Franklin, G. F., Powell, J. D., and Emami-Naeini, A. (1991). Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems. 2nd ed. Reading,MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Gordan, A. L. (1987). Optical Alignment of Centaur’s Inertial Guidance System (NASA technical memorandum 88844). Washington, DC: National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
- Jiang, Y. F. and Lin, Y. P. (1992). Error estimation of INS ground alignment through observability analysis. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 28, 92-97. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.135435
- Jiang, Y. F. and Lin, Y. P. (1993). Error estimation of ground alignment to arbitrary azimuth. AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, Monterey, CA. pp. 1088-1093.
- Lee, H. K., Lee, J. G., Rho, Y. K., and Park, C. G. (1997). Comparison between quaternion error mode and equivalent tilt error model. Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, 25, 142-154.
- Liu, D., Bo, Y., Wu, P., and Zhao, G. (2008). Application of wavelet neural network to initial alignment of strapdown inertial navigation system. IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, Sanya, China. pp. 346-350.
- Mrus, G. J., Zukowsky, W. S., Kokot, W., Yoder, P. R. J., and Wood, J. T. (1971). Automatic theodolite for pre-launch azimuth alignment of the saturn space vehicles. Applied Optics, 10, 504-509. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.10.000504
- Park, C. G., Kim, K. J., Park, H. W., and Lee, J. G. (1998). Development of an initial coarse alignment algorithm for strapdown inertial navigation system. Journal of Control, Automation and System Engineering, 4, 674-679.
- Savage, P. G. (2000). Strapdown Analytics. Maple Plain,MI: Strapdown Associates.
- Song, E. J., Roh, W. R., Kim, J. Y., and Oh, J. S. (2009). A fast initial fine alignment algorithm for a strapdown inertial navigation system of a satellite launcher. 60th International Astronautical Congress, Daejeon, Korea. pp. 5314-5323.
- Error analysis of analytical coarse alignment formulations for stationary SINS vol.52, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2016.7738355
- On the Error State Selection for Stationary SINS Alignment and Calibration Kalman Filters—Part II: Observability/Estimability Analysis vol.17, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/s17030439