- Volume 10 Issue 9
As the IP multicast function is very slowly deployed in Internet due to its scalability problem and inter-domain interoperability problem, interest in the P2P(Peer-to-Peer) streaming technologies for the realtime multimedia multicast applications such as IPTV is highly growing. This paper proposes a P2P streaming method for the QoS-sensitive multimedia multicast applications such as highly-interactive personal IPTV and video conferences. The proposed P2P streaming method allows an application to construct a reliable streaming tree in which a proper number of backup peers are placed according to its reliability requirement. The reliable streaming tree reduces the reconnection delay, occurred in the case of a normal and/or abnormal peer leave, so as to minimize the loss of streaming data. In the proposed P2P streaming method, the join delay of a peer called startup delay is also substantially reduced because the bandwidth and end-to-end delay information of every peer kept in a distributed way allows the target peer for a joining peer to be able to be quickly determined. Moreover, the proposed method's peer admission control mechanism based on the bandwidth and end-to-end delay enables the delay-bounded streaming services to be provided for its corresponding applications.
Supported by : 한국기술교육대학교
- J. Liu, S. G. Rao, B. Li, and H. Zhang, "Opportunities and Challenges of Peer-to-Peer Internet Video Broadcast," Proceedings of The IEEE, Vol.96, No.1, 2008(1). https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2007.909921
- A. Ganjam and H. Zhang, "Internet Multicast Video Delivery," Proceedings of The IEEE, Vol.93, No.1, 2005(1). https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2004.839602
- A. Sentinelli, "Will IPTV Ride the Peer-to-Peer Stream," IEEE Communications Magazine, 2007(6). https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2007.374424
- J. Liu, S. G. Rao, B. Li, and H. Zhang, "Opportunities and Challenges of Peer-to-Peer Internet Video Broadcast," Proceedings of The IEEE, Vol.96, No.1, 2008(1).
- Y. Zang, "Problem Statement of P2P Streaming Protocol(PPSP)," Internet-Draft draft-zang-ppsp-problem-statement-05, Oct. 20, 2009.
- J. Peltotalo, "Peer-to-Peer Streaming Technology Survey," 7th Int'l Conference on Networking, Cancun, Mexico, 13-18 April, 2008.
- X. Hei, Y. Liu, and Keith W. Ross, "IPTV over P2P Streaming Networks: The Mesh-Pull Approach," IEEE Communications Magazine, 2008(2).
- B. Li and H. Yin, "Peer-to-Peer Live Video Streaming on the Internet: Issues, Existing Approaches, and Challenges," IEEE Communications Magazine, 2007(6). https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2007.374425
- J. D. Mol, D. H. P. Epema, and H. J. Sips, "The Orchard Algorithm: Building Multicast Trees for P2P Video Multicasting Without Free Riding," IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, Vol.9, No.8, 2007(12). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMM.2007.907450
- V. Venkatarman, P. Francis, and J. Calandrino, "Chunkyspread: Multi-tree Unstructured Peer-to-Peer Multicast," 5th Int'l Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems," Santa Barbara, CA, USA, 2006(2). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICNP.2006.320193