- Volume 10 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Method to Support Handover for Service Continuity based on IMS in Wireless LAN
무선랜 환경에서 서비스 연속성 지원을 위한 IMS 기반 핸드오버 지원 방안
- Received : 2010.08.23
- Accepted : 2010.09.24
- Published : 2010.09.28
This paper proposes a L3 handover method to minimize packet loss for supporting service continuity to IMS Terminal which has a single WLAN interface. The existing IMS based handover solution is able to support handover between different access networks in case that a terminal has multiple interfaces. That is, WLAN terminals need multiple interfaces to connect with one or more access networks. This proposed method configures IP address for the terminal in target WLAN previously by using Candidate Access Router Discovery(CARD) mechanism. Also, in the proposed method, service continuity server performs L3 connection establishment in target WLAN and registration to IMS server instead of the terminal. And then session control mechanism based on SIP is performed to support service continuity. We analyzed handover latency and signaling cost in the proposed method and existing method to show the improved performance by the proposed method.
IMS;Candidate Access Router Discovery;Service Continuity;WLAN;Handover
Grant : 방송통신 융합 다자간 서비스 및 연속성 제어 기술 개발
- 3GPP TS 24.237, V9.3.0, "IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) Service Continuity," 2010.
- 조기성, 김화숙, 김동휘, “IMS 기반의 차세대 네트워크 컨버젼스를 위한 서비스 제어 기술”, 한국통신학회지, 제24권, 제12호, pp.39-46, 2007.
- M. Liebsch and A. Singh, "Candidate Access Router Discovery (CARD)," IETF, RFC 4066, 2005.
- R. Chalmers, G. Krishnamurthi, and K. Almeroth, "Enabling Intelligent Handovers in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks," Mobile Networks and Applications (MONET), Vol.11, num. 2, pp.215-227, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11036-006-4474-8
- N.Banerjee, W. Wu, K. Basu, and S. Das, "Analysis of SIP-Based Mobility Management in 4G Wireless Networks," Elsevier Computer Comm., Vol.7, No.8, pp.697-707, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom.2003.10.009
- R. Mahmood, Azad, and A. M., "SIP messages delay analysis in heterogeneous network," IEEE ICWCSC 2010, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICWCSC.2010.5415913
- Jui-Hung Yeh, Jyh-Cheng Chen, Prathima Agrawal, "Fast Intra-Network and Cross-Layer Handover (FINCH) for WiMAX and Mobile Internet," IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MOBILE COMPUTING, Vol.8, pp.558-574, 2009(4). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMC.2008.149
- M. J. Yu, J. M. Lee, T. W. Um, W. Ryu, B. S. Lee, and S. G. Choi, "A New Mechanism for Seamless Mobility Based on MPLS LSP in BcN," IEICE TRANS. COMMUN., Vol.E.91-B, No.2, pp.593-569, 2008.
- Qi Wang and Mosa Ali Abu-Rgheff, "Mobility Management Architectures based on Joint Mobile IP and SIP Protocols," IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol.13, No.6, pp.68-76, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWC.2006.275201
- N. Montavont and T. Noel, "Analysis and Evaluation of Mobile IPv6 Handovers over Wireless LAN," Mobile Networks and Applications, Vol.8, No.6, pp.643-653, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026026426784