- Volume 34 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Study on Vehicle Deceleration Control in School Zones by Taking Driver's Comfort into Account
스쿨 존에서 운전자의 승차감을 수반한 차량 감속 제어에 관한 연구
- Cho, Hyo-Seung (Dept. of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Ulsan Univ.) ;
- Kim, Hyoung-Seok (Dept. of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Ulsan Univ.) ;
- Lee, Byung-Ryong (Dept. of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Ulsan Univ.)
- Received : 2010.02.01
- Accepted : 2010.07.26
- Published : 2010.10.01
Recently, many electronic control techniques for vehicles have been developed and applied. One of the technologies can be X-by-wire such as throttle-by-wire, brake-by-wire, steer-by-wire, and etc, in which most of mechanical parts are replaced into electrical wire and actuators. In this study, the effect of throttle-by-wire and brake-by-wire control systems on vehicle velocity control, especially in a school zone, are taken into consideration. The number of accidents reported in school zones is higher than that in other places. The reason for this is that many vehicle drivers do not obey speed limit regulations. Moreover, some of the students are careless while crossing the streets. Therefore, in this study, we attempt to develop a method using throttle-by-wire and brake-by-wire control systems for automatically reducing the vehicle speed such that it will be within the speed limit. First, an engine model and a transmission system model are developed for a specific vehicle model. Second, speed reduction is carried out such that the reduction follows a pre-designed cubic spline trajectory; the trajectory is determined such that rapid deceleration, which causes discomfort to the driver and passengers, can be prevented, for which a fuzzy-PID control algorithm is applied for the trajectory following control. Finally, simulation results are presented to verify the performance of the proposed speed reduction control system.
Vehicle Deceleration Control;Fuzzy-PID Controller;Trajectory Following Control;Throttle-by-Wire;Brake-by-Wire
- Jung, D.-H., 2006, “Development of Intelligent Vehicle Technology Trends and Future Automotive Technologies,” Auto journal, pp. 46-52.
- Rangwala, N., Nwagboso, C. and Rendell, N., 2002, “Intelligent Remote Speed Control of Foresight Trucks with Driver Interface,” SAE 2002 World Congress, SAE Transactions, Vol. 111.
- Naranjo, J.E., Gonzalez, C., Garcia, R. and de Pedro, T., 2007, “Cooperative Throttle and Brake Fuzzy Control for ACC+Stop&Go Maneuvers,” Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transactions, Vol 56, Issue 4, Part 1, pp.1623-1630. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2007.897632
- Song, B. H., 2000, “Speed Adaptation System for Vehicles using RF Communication,” Seoul 2000 FISITA, F2000I410.
- Park, J.-J. and Choi, K.-S., 2005, “Fuzzy Control System,” Kyo-u publish Co., Seoul, pp.57-69.
- Li, Y.F. and Lan, C.C., 1980, “Development of fuzzy Algorithms for Servo Systems,” IEEE Contr. Syst. Magazine, Vol. 9, pp.66-72.
- Kim, J.-H., Park, J.-H. and Lee, S.-W., 1994, “A Two- Lyered Fuzzy Logic Controller for Systems with Deadzones,” Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions, Vol. 41, pp.155-162. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.293875
- Nise, N. S., 1992, “Control Systems Engineering,” Benjamin/Cummings Publish. Co., pp.295-676.
- Kim, S.-C., 2002, “Study on the Vehicle's Collision Avoidance System Design Using the Fuzzy Control Algorithm,” Dong-A Univ. Graduate School.
- ISO, “Mechanical Vibration and Shock Evaluation of Human Exposure to Whole Body Vibration,” Part 1: General requirement, ISO 2631-1.
- Wu, Z., Liu, Y. and Pan, G., 2009, “A Smart Car Control Model for Brake Comfort Based on Car Following,” Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions, Vol. 10, pp. 42-46. https://doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2008.2006777
- Solea, R. and Urbano, 2006, “Trajectory Planning with Velocity Planner for Fully-automated Passenger Vehicles,” Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, ITSC '06, IEEE, pp. 474-480.
- Radius-Measuring Algorithm for Small Tubes Based on Machine Vision using Fuzzy Searching Method vol.35, pp.11, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.11.1429