- Volume 34 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Low-Cycle Fatigue in Ni-Base Superalloy IN738LC at Elevated Temperature
니켈기 초내열합금 IN738LC의 고온 저주기피로 거동
- Hwang, Kwon-Tae (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hoon (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Yoo, Keun-Bong (Korea Electric Power Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Han-Sang (Korea Electric Power Research Institute) ;
- Yoo, Young-Soo (Korea Institute of Materials Science)
- Received : 2010.05.12
- Accepted : 2010.08.03
- Published : 2010.10.01
For many years, high-strength nickel-base superalloys have been used to manufacture turbine blades because of their excellent performance at high temperatures. The prediction of fatigue life of superalloys is important for improving the efficiency of the turbine blades. In this study, low cycle fatigue tests are performed for different values of total strain and temperature. The relations between strain energy density and number of cycles before failure occurs are examined in order to predict the low cycle fatigue life of IN738LC super alloy. The results of low cycle fatigue lives predicted by strain energy methods are found to coincide with experimental data and with the results obtained by the Coffin-Manson method.
Supported by : 전력연구원
- Tomkins, B., 1981, Creep and Fatigue in High Temperature Alloys, Bresers J. (Ed.), Applied Science Publication.
- Runkle, J.C. and Pellous, R. M., 1978, Fatigue Mechanisms, ASTM STP 675.
- Polak, J., 1991, Cyclic Plasticity and Low Cycle Fatigue Life of Metals, Elsevier.
- Bannantine, J.A., Comer, J.J. and Handrock, J.L., 1990, Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis, Prentice Hall.
- Feltner. C.E. and Morrow. J. D., 1961, "Micro Plastic Strain Hysteresis Energy as a criterion for Fatigue Fracture," Journal of Basic Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 15-22.
- Ellyin, F. and Kujawski, D., 1984, "Plastic strain Energy in Fatigue Failure," Transactions of ASME, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 106, No. 4, pp. 342-347. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3264362
- Lefebvre, D. and Ellyin, F., 1984, "Cyclic Response and Inelastic Strain Energy in Low Cycle Fatigue," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 9-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/0142-1123(84)90003-3
- Ellyin, F., 1985, "Effect of Tensile Mean Strain on Plastic Strain Energy and Cyclic Response," Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol. 107, pp. 119-125. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3225786
- Halford, G. R., 1966, "The Energy Required for Fatigue," Jorunal of Materials, Vol.1, No. 1, pp. 3-18.
- Morrow, J. D., 1965, "Cyclic Plasticity Strain Energy and Fatigue of Metals," Internal Friction, Damping and Cyclic Plasticity, ASTM STP 378, pp. 45-87.
- Ellyin, F. and Kujawski, D., 1986, "The Energy-Based Fatigue Failure Criterion," Microstructure and Mechanical Behaviour of Materials, Vol. 2, pp. 541-600.
- Golos, K. and Ellyin, F., 1988, "A Total Strain Energy Density Theory for Cumulative Fatigue Damage," Transactions of ASME, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 110, pp. 36-41. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3265565
- A study of the LCF characteristics of the Ni-based superalloy IN738LC vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-015-0102-5
- Thermo mechanical fatigue life prediction of Ni-based superalloy IN738LC vol.18, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-017-0067-7
- Life Prediction of IN738LC Considering Creep Damage under Low Cycle Fatigue vol.5, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40684-018-0033-6