- Volume 34 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Variation in Residual Strength of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic Plate with a Hole Subjected to Fatigue Load
피로하중에 의한 홀 노치 탄소섬유강화 복합재의 잔류강도변화 평가
- Kim, Sang-Young (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, SungKyunKwan Univ.) ;
- Kang, Min-Sung (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, SungKyunKwan Univ.) ;
- Koo, Jae-Mean (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, SungKyunKwan Univ.) ;
- Seok, Chang-Sung (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, SungKyunKwan Univ.)
- Received : 2010.05.12
- Accepted : 2010.08.12
- Published : 2010.10.01
CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic) has received considerable attention in various fields as a structural material, because of its high specific strength, high specific stiffness, excellent design flexibility, favorable chemical properties, etc. Most products consisting of several parts are generally assembled by mechanical joining methods (using rivets, bolts, pins, etc.). Holes must be drilled in the parts to be joined, and the strength of the components subjected to static and fatigue loads caused by stress concentration must be decreased. In this study, we experimentally evaluated the variation in the residual strength of a holenotched CFRP plate subjected to fatigue load. We repeatedly subjected the hole-notched specimen to fatigue load for a certain number of cycles, and then we investigated the residual strength of the hole-notched specimen by performing the fracture test. From the results of the test, we can observe the initiation of a directional crack caused by the applied fatigue load. Further, we observed that the residual strength increases with a decrease in the notch effect due to this crack. It was evaluated that the residual strength increases to a certain level and subsequently decreases. This variation in the residual strength was represented by a simple equation by using a model of the decrease in residual strength for plain plate, which was developed by Reifsnider and a stress redistribution model for hole-notched plate, which was developed by Yip.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Hwang, W. and Han, K. S., 1989, "Fatigue of Composite Materials-Damage Model and Life Prediction," Composite Materials: Fatigue and Fracture, Second Volume, ASTM STP 1012, Paul A. Lagace, Ed., pp. 88-102.
- Benchekchou, B. and White, R. G., 1995, "Stress Around Fasteners in Composite Structures in Flexure and Effects on Fatigue Damage Initiation Part 1: Cheese-Head Bolts," Composite Structure, Vol. 33, pp. 95-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8223(95)00115-8
- Nishikawa, Y., Okubo, K., Fujii, T. and Kawabe, K., 2006, "Fatigue Crack Constraint in Plain-Woven CFRP Using Newly-Developed Spread Tows," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 28, pp.1248-1253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2006.02.010
- Akbar, A.-K., Lin, Y., Mai, Y.-W., 2001, "An Experimental Study of the Influence of Fibre-Matrix Interface on Fatigue Tensile Strength of Notched Composite Laminate," Composites: Part B, Vol. 32, pp. 371-377. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-8368(01)00012-9
- Broutman, L. J. and Sahu, S., 1972, "A New Theory to Predict Cumulative Fatigue Damage in Fiberglass Reinforce Plastics," Composite Materials: Testing and Design (Second Conference), ASTM STP 497, pp. 170-188.
- Reifsnider, K. L. and Stinchcomb, W. W., 1986, "A Critical-Element Model of the Residual Strength and Life of Fatigue-Loaded Composite Coupons," Composite Materials: Fatigue and Fracture, ASTM STP 907, Hahn, H. T., Ed., pp. 298-313.
- Huh, J. S., Hwang, W., Park, H. C. and Han, K. S., 1996, "Fatigue Life Prediction of Circular Notched CFRP Laminates," Transactions of the KSME (A), Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 832-842.
- Philippidis, T. P. and Passipoularidis, V. A., 2007, "Residual Strength After Fatigue in Composites: Theory vs. Experiment," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 29, pp. 2104-2116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2007.01.019
- Tserpes, K. I., Papanikos, P., Labeas, G. and Pantelakis, Sp., 2004, "Fatigue Damage Accumulation and Residual Strength Assessment of CFRP Laminates," Composite Structures, Vol. 63, pp. 219-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(03)00169-7
- Razvan, A., Bakis, C. E. and Reifsnider, K. L., 1990, "Influence of Load Levels on Damage Growth Mechanisms of Notched Composite Materials," Composite Materials: Testing and Design (Ninth Volume), ASTM STP 1059, Garbo, S. P. Ed., pp. 371-389.
- Bakis, C. E., Siminds, R. A., Vick, L. W. and Stinchcomb, W. W., 1990, "Matrix Toughness, Long-Term Behavior, and Damage Tolerance of Notched Graphite Fiber-Reinforced Composite Materials," Composite Materials: Testing and Design (Ninth Volume), ASTM STP 1059, Garbo, S. P., Ed., pp. 349-370.
- Hosoi, A., Kawada, H. and Yoshino, H., 2006, "Fatigue Characteristics of Quasi-Isotropic CFRP Laminates Subjected to Variable Amplitude Cyclic Two-Stage Loading," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 28, pp. 1284-1289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2006.02.039
- Yip, M.-C. and Perng, T.-B., 1993, "The Influence of Hole Size in Static Strength and Fatigue for CFRP Composite Materials," Proceedings of the International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials, Chandra, T. and Dhingra, A. K., Eds., pp. 651-657.
- Hahn, H. T. and Kim, R. Y., 1975, "Proof Testing of Composite Materials," Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 9, pp. 297-311. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199837500900308
- Yang, J. N. and Liu, M. D., 1977, "Residual Strength Degradation Model and Theory of Periodic Proof Tests for Graphite/Epoxy Laminates," Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 11, pp. 176-203. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199837701100205
- Yang, J. N. and Cole, R. T., 1982, "Fatigue of Composite Bolted Joints Under Dual Stress Levels," Progress in Science and Engineering of Composites, ICCM-IV, Vol. 1, pp. 333-340.
- Yang, J. N. and Du, S., 1983, "An Exploratory Study into the Fatigue of Composites Under Spectrum Loading," Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 17, pp. 511-526. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199838301700604
- Sendeckyj, G. P., 1991, "Life Prediction for Resin–Matrix Composite Materials," Composite material series, 4. Elsevier, pp.431-483.
- Adam, T., Dickson, R. F., Jones, C. J., Reiter, H. and Harris, B., 1986, "A power Law Fatigue Damage Model for Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Laminates," Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers , Vol. 200, No. C3, pp.155-166. https://doi.org/10.1243/PIME_PROC_1986_200_111_02
- Whitney, J. M. and Nuismer, R. J., 1974, “Stress Fracture Criteria for Laminated Composites Containing Stress Concentrations," Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 8, pp. 253-265. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199837400800303
- Nuismer, R. J. and Whitney, J. M., 1975, "Uniaxial Failure of Composite Laminates Containing Stress Concentrations," ASTM STP 593, pp. 117-142.
- ASTM D3039-07, 2007, “Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Polymer Matrix Composite Materials,” Annual Book of ASTM Standard.
- Rakesh, P. K., Singh, I. and Kumar, D., 2010, “Failure Prediction in Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics Laminates with Drilled Hole Under Uni-Axial Loading,” Materials and Design, Vol. 31, 3002-3007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2010.01.022