- Volume 34 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Study of a Mixed Finite Element Model for the Analysis of a Geometrically Nonlinear Plate
기하학적 비선형 판재 해석을 위한 혼합형 FE Model 연구
- Kim, Woo-Ram (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Army Academy at Yeong Cheon) ;
- Choi, Youn-Dae (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Army Academy at Yeong Cheon)
- Received : 2010.07.05
- Accepted : 2010.07.20
- Published : 2010.10.01
A mixed finite element model was developed using the classical plate theory to analyze the nonlinear bending of a plate. The appropriate weight functions for the constraints integrated over the domain were determined by the Lagrange multiplier method by using the principle of minimum virtual energy; which provides the constitutive relations between force-like variables and strains. All of detail terms of element wise coefficient matrices and associate tangent matrices to be used in the Newton iterative method are presented. Then, the linear solutions of the current model and those of the traditional displacement model under the SS (simple support) boundary conditions were compared with the existing analytical solution. The post-processed images of the nonlinear results of the force-like variables are presented to show the continuity of the solutions at the joint of the element boundaries. Finally, the converged nonlinear finite element solutions of the current model are compared with those of existing traditional displacement model.
- Reddy, J. N., 2004, An Introduction to Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis, Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 141-172.
- Reddy, J. N., 2006, An Introduction to the Finite Element Method, 3rd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 635-665.
- Reddy, J. N., 2002, Energy Principles and Variational Methods in Applied Mechanics, J. Wiley, New York, pp. 118-203.
- Reddy, J. N., 2007, Theory and Analysis of Elastic Plates and Shells, 2nd ed., CRC, Boca Raton, FL, pp. 95-121.
- Moleiro, F., Mota Soares, C. M. and Mota Soares, C. A., 2008, "Mixed Least-squares Finite Element Model for the Static Analysis of Laminated Composite Plates," Comput. Struct 86, pp. 826-838. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2007.04.012
- Herrmann, L. R., 1975, "Mixed Finite Element Method for Bending of Plates," Int. J. Numerical Method, 9, pp. 3-5.
- Allman, D. J., 1971, "Triangular Finite Element for Plate Bending with Constant and Linearly Varying Bending Moments," High Speed Computing of Elastic Struct. 1, pp. 106-136.
- Riks, E., 1972, "The Application of Newton's Method to Problem of Elastic Stability," J. Appl. Mech. 39, pp. 1060-1066. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3422829
- Cajori, F., 1911, "Historical Note on the Newton-Raphson Method of Approximations," American Mathematical Monthly 18, pp. 29-32. https://doi.org/10.2307/2973939