- Volume 34 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Optimal Design of Slipper Metal for Power Transmission in Aluminum Hot Rolling Process
알루미늄 열간 압연공정의 동력전달용 슬리퍼 메탈에 대한 형상 최적설계
- Lee, Hyun-Seung (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Young-Shin (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2010.03.15
- Accepted : 2010.08.13
- Published : 2010.10.01
A slipper metal is used for power transmission in the aluminum hot rolling process. The slipper metal connects a spindle with a coupling. Therefore, if the slipper metal is seriously damaged, the spindle and the coupling will crash into each other. Therefore, preventing the destruction of the slipper metal is essential for ensuring a long mechanical life cycle. In this study, the structural analysis and optimal design of the slipper metal was carried out by finite element method for life extension of the slipper metal. To verify the interference of spindle assembly with modified slipper metal, a kinematics simulation was performed by applying various combinations of dynamic boundary conditions. As a result of structural analysis and optimal design of the slipper metal, the maximum stress of the modified slipper metal was lower than that of the initial model by 22%.
Hot Rolling;Slipper Metal;Shape Optimal Design
- Cavaliere, M. A., Goldschmit, M. B. and Dvorkin, E. N., 2001, "Finite Element Analysis of Steel Rolling Processes," Computers and Structures, Vol. 79, No. 22, pp. 2075-2089. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(01)00055-4
- Lee, H.-S. and Lee, Y.-S., 2008, "Optimal Contact Design and Allowable Limit on Spindle Assembly of AL Hot Rolling Process," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 350-246. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-007-1111-9
- Byun, S.-W. Lee, Y.-S. Lee, H.-S. and Lee, J.-J., 2006, "Contact Damage Analysis of Hot Mill Spindle Assembly with Kinematics Simulation," Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 326-328, pp. 1121-1124. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.326-328.1121
- ANSYS MANUAL, 2001, Swanson Analysis Systems Inc.