- Volume 34 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study of Friction in Microfoming Using Ring Compression Tests and Finite Element Analysis
링 압축시험과 유한요소해석을 이용한 미세성형 공정에서의 마찰특성에 관한 연구
- Kim, Hong-Seok (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Technology) ;
- Kim, Geung-Rok (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Technology)
- Received : 2010.05.10
- Accepted : 2010.05.20
- Published : 2010.10.01
Microforming processes have recently attracted considerable attention from industry and academia since they enable the production of microscale parts using various materials at a high production rate, minimize material loss, and provide parts with excellent mechanical properties. However, for successful development and applications of the microforming process it is critical to take the tribological size effect into consideration because previous studies have shown that traditional friction models for macroscale forming generate significantly erroneous results in the case of microforming. In this paper, we performed scaled ring compression experiments to investigate the tribological size effect of aluminum and brass materials in microforming. The sensitivity of the interfacial friction to the deformation characteristics of the ring was quantitatively analyzed by the finite element analysis. In addition, a friction model based on slip line field and upper boundary techniques was used to theoretically explain the friction mechanism in microforming.
Microforming;Size Effect;Ring Compression Test;Finite Element Analysis
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Geiger, M., Kleiner, M., Eckstein, R., Tiesler, N. and Engel, U., 2001, “Microforming,” CIRP Ann., Vol. 50, pp. 445-462. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)62991-6
- Male, A. T. and Cockroft, M. G., 1965, “A method for the Determination of the Coefficients of Friction of Metal Under Bulk Plastic Deformation,” Journal of the Institute of Metals, Vol. 93, pp 38-46.
- Engel, U., Messner, A. and Tiesler, N., 1998, “Cold Forging of Microparts-Effect of Miniaturization on Friction,” Proceedings of the 1st ESAFORM Conference on Materials Forming, Sohpia Antipolis, France, pp. 77-80.
- Buschhausen, A., Weinmann, K., Lee, J. Y. and Altan, T. T., 1992, “Evaluation of Lubrication and Friction in Cold Forging Using a Double Backward-Extrusion Process,” J. Mater. Process. Tech., Vol. 33, pp. 95-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(92)90313-H
- Tiesler, N., 2002, “Microforming-Size Effects in Friction and Their Influence on Extrusion Processes,” Wire, Vol. 52, pp. 34-38.
- Tiesler, N., Engel, U. and Geiger, M., 1999, “Forming of Microparts-Effect of Miniaturization on Friction,” Proceedings of the 6th ICTP, Vol. 2, pp. 889-894.
- Engel, U., 2006, “Tribology in Microforming,” Wear, Vol. 260, pp. 265-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2005.04.021
- Bay, N., 1987, “Friction Stress and Normal Stress in Bulk Metal Forming Processes,” Journal of Mechanical Working Technology, Vol. 14, pp. 203-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3804(87)90061-1
- Wanheim, T., Bay, N. and Petersen, A. S., 1974, “A Theoretically Determined Model for Friction in Metal Working Processes,” Wear, Vol. 28, pp. 251-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(74)90165-3
- Nellemann, T., Bay, N. and Wanheim, T., 1977, “Real Area of Contact and Friction Stress-the Role of Trapped Lubricant,” Wear, Vol. 43, pp. 45-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(77)90042-4
- Jeon, H. J. and Bramley, A. N., 2007, “A Friction Model for Microforming,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 33, pp. 125-129. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-006-0608-1
- Vollertsen, F. and Hu, Z., 2006, “Tribological Size Effects in Sheet Metal Forming Measured by a Strip Drawing Test,” CIRP Ann., Vol. 55, pp. 291-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)60419-3
- Tan, X., 2002, “Comparison of Friction Models in Bulk Metal Forming,” Tribology International, Vol. 35, pp. 385-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-679X(02)00020-8
- A Theoretical and Experimental Study on the Tribological Size Effect in Microforming Processes vol.22, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2013.22.7.394