- Volume 34 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Axial Residual Stress in Drawn High-Carbon Wire Resulting Due to Increase in Surface Temperature
고탄소강 다단 신선 와이어의 표면 온도 상승에 의한 축방향 잔류응력 예측
- Kim, Dae-Woon (School of Precision Manufacturing System Division, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Sang-Kon (PNU-IFAM JRC, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Byung-Min (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Jung, Jin-Young (Technical Development Center, KISWIRE) ;
- Ban, Deok-Young (Technical Development Center, KISWIRE)
- 김대운 (부산대학교 정밀기계공학과) ;
- 이상곤 (부산대 PNU-IFAM 국제공동연구소) ;
- 김병민 (부산대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 정진영 (고려제강 기술개발연구원) ;
- 반덕영 (고려제강 기술개발연구원)
- Received : 2010.05.10
- Accepted : 2010.07.29
- Published : 2010.10.01
In recent times, due to wire drawing of high carbon steel at a high speed to ensure a high productivity and high strength, axial residual stress are generated because of rapid increase in surface temperature. In the process, the temperatures of the wires increased because of the deformation of the wires and the friction between the die and wire. In particular, in the case of the wire drawing at a high speed, friction leads to a large temperature gradient so that considerable axial residual stress is generated on the surface. In this study, the relationship between axial residual stress and increase in the surface temperature was investigated, and a prediction model of uniform temperature was proposed. Then, a prediction model for residual stress was developed. The proposed model was verified by measuring the residual stress by X-ray diffraction on drawn wires.
High Carbon Steel;Multi-Pass Wire Drawing;Surface Temperature;Axial Residual Stress
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- KO, D. C., Hwang, W. H., Lee, S. K. and Kim, B. M., 2006, “A Study on the Method of Residual Stress Relaxation during Wire Drawing and Evaluation of Residual Stress Using Nano Indentation Test,” Journal of Korea Society of Precision Engineering, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp.162-169.
- Vijayakar, S., 1997, “Thermal Influence on Residual Stresses in Drawn Wire,” Wire Journal International, Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 116-119.
- Kim, N. S. and Kim, H. J., 2002, Plastic Deformation and Analysis, Munundang, Seoul, pp. 89-91.
- Atienza, J. M., Ruiz-Hervias, J., Martinez-Perez, M. L., Mompean, F. J., Garcia-Hernandez, M. and Elices, M., 2005, “Residual Stresses in Cold Drawn Pearlitic Rods,” Scripta Materialia, Vol. 52, pp. 1223-1228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scriptamat.2005.03.003
- Atienza, J. M. and Elices, M., 2003, “Influence of Residual Stress in the Tensile Test of Cold Drawn Wires,” Materials and Structures, Vol. 36, pp. 548-552. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02480832
- Siebel, E. and Kobitzsch, R., 1943, “Die Erwarmung des Ziehgutes beim Drahtziehen,” Stahl und Eisen, Vol. 63, No. 6, pp. 110-113.
- Kemp, I. P., 1987, "Heat Generation and Strain Ageing," Wire Industry, Vol. 54, No. 637, pp. 41-49.
- Kemp, I. P., Pollard, G. and Bramley, A. N., 1985, “Temperature Distributions in The High Speed Drawing of High Strength Steel Wire,” International Journal of Mechanical Science, Vol. 27, No. 11/12, pp. 803-811. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(85)90011-6
- Kim, Y. S., Kim, D. H., Kim, B. M., Kim, M. A., and Park, Y. M., 2001, “Development of Wire Temperature Prediction Method in a Continuous Dry Wire Drawing Process Using the High Carbon Steel,” Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 330-337.
- Norman E. Dowling, 1999, Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Prentice Hall International, Inc., New Jersey, pp. 128-129.
- Lee, S. K., Kim, D. W., Kim, B. M., Jung, J. Y., Ban, D. Y., and Lee, S. B., 2010, “Evaluation of Axial Residual Stress in Multi-Pass Drawn High Carbon Steel Wire Considering Effective Stress-Strain Curve at High Strain”, Journal of Korean Society for Precision Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 70-75
- Alexander Geleji, 1960, Bildsame Formung der Mettale in Rechnung und Versuch, Akademie-Verlag, GmbH.BERLIN.
- Dinesh, D. B. and Jeffrey, L. S., 2009, “A Method for Obtaining the Temperature Distribution at the Interface of Sliding Bodies,” Wear, Vol. 226, pp. 721-732.
- Frank P. Incropera and David P. Dewitt, 1996, Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer-4th ed, John Wiley & Sons, New York, pp. 3-5.
- Martinez-Perez, M. L., Mompean, F. J., Ruiz-Hervias, J., Borlado, C. R., Atienza, J. M., Garcia-Hernandez, M., Elices, M., Gil-Sevillano, J., Ru Lin Peng and Buslaps, T., 2004, “Residual Stress Profiling in the Ferrite and Cementite Phases of Cold-Drawn Steel Rods by Synchrotron X-ray and Neutron Diffraction,” Acta Meterialia, Vol. 52, pp. 5303-5313. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2004.07.036
- Ruiz, J., Atienza, J. M. and Elice, M., 2003, “Residual Stresses in Wires: Influence of Wire Length,” Journal of Material Engineering and Performance, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 480-489. https://doi.org/10.1361/105994903770343042
- Van Acker, K., Root, J., Van Houtte, P. and E. Aernoudt, 1996, “Neutron Diffraction Measurement of the Residual Stress in the Cementite and Ferrite Phase of Cold-Drawn Steel Wires,” Acta Meterialia, Vol.44, pp. 4039-4049. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6454(96)00051-1
- Kim, D. W., Lee, S. K., Kim, B. M., Jung, J. Y. and D. Y. Ban, 2010, “Development of Surface Residual Stress Prediction Formula for Multi-Pass High Carbon Steel Wire Drawing,” Transactions of Materials Processing, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 224-229. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2010.19.4.224
- Goes, B., Gil-Sevillano, J. and D´Haene U., 1998, “Modeling the Evolution of Residual Stresses during Tensile Testing of Elastoplastic Wires Subjected to A Previous Bending Operation,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 41, pp.1031-1050. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(98)00093-9
- Manufacturing of High-Strength and High-Ductility Pearlitic Steel Wires Using Noncircular Drawing Sequence vol.38, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.7.743