- Volume 34 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Study on Performance Improvement in Magnetic Abrasive Polishing Assisted by Silicone Gel Medium
실리콘 겔에 의한 자기연마가공의 성능 향상에 관한 연구
- Kim, Sang-Oh (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Pukyoung Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kwak, Jae-Seob (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Pukyoung Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2010.05.13
- Accepted : 2010.08.13
- Published : 2010.10.01
In general, magnetic abrasive polishing can be used to effectively produce a mirror-like surface; however, industrial applications of this process involve some unsolved problems. For example, the polishing efficiency is low, and the used abrasives have to be treated. In this study, which is aimed at solving these problems, a novel medium of silicone gel, consisting of ferromagnetic particles and abrasives, is developed, and the effect of this medium is assessed on the basis of Taguchi's experimental method. The workpiece is a tungsten carbide steel and the surface roughness after magnetic abrasive polishing using the silicone gel is evaluated.
Magnetic Abrasive Polishing;Medium of Silicone Gel;Surface Roughness;Taguchi's Method
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Park, W. G., Roh, T. W., Seo, Y. I., Choi, H., Lee, J. C., Jung, S. H. and Chae, S., 2001, "The Internal Finishing Characteristics of Non-Ferromagnetic Pipe Polished by Magnetic Abrasive Machining (II)," Conf. of the KSPE, pp. 960-963.
- Cho, C. R., Park, S. R., Yang, S. C. and Jung, Y. G., 2004, "A Study on the Improvement of Performance of High Speed Cutting Tool using Magnetic Fluid Grinding Technique (1st Report), Production of Experimental Equipment," Conf. of the KSMTE, pp. 135-138.
- Shinmura, T., Takazawa, K., Hatano, E., Matsunaga, M. and Matsuo, T., 1990, "Study on Magnetic Abrasive Finishing," Ann. CIRP, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 325-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)61064-6
- Kwak, J. S., 2009, "Enhanced Magnetic Abrasive Polishing of Non-ferrous Metals Utilizing A Permanent Magnet," Int. J. Machine Tool Manufact., Vol. 49, No. 7-8, pp. 613-618. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2009.01.013
- Wang, A. C., Lee, S. J., 2009, "Study the Characteristic of Magnetic Finishing with Gel Abrasive," Int. J. Machine Tool Manufact., Vol. 49, No. 14, pp. 1063-1069. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2009.07.009
- Ko, S. L., Baron, Y. M. and Park, J. I., 2007, "Micro Deburring for Precision Parts Using Magnetic Abrasive Finishing Method," J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 187-188, No. 12, pp. 19-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.11.183
- Kim, S. O. and Kwak, J. S., 2008, "Improvement of Magnetic Force and Experimental Verification for Magnetic Abrasive Polishing of Aluminum Alloy," Trans. of KSMTE, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 23-29.
- Evaluations of Magnetic Abrasive Polishing and Distribution of Magnetic Flux Density on the Curvature of Non-Ferrous Material vol.36, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.3.259
- Study on Abrasive Adhesion and Polishing Effect in Wet Magnetic Abrasive Polishing vol.38, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.8.887