- Volume 24 Issue 3
Application of POM to the River Flow
POM의 하천 흐름 해석에의 적용
- Chun, Je-Ho (Institute of Constructional and Environemtal Research, Handong University) ;
- Ahn, Kyung-Mo (School of Spatial and Environment System Engineering, Handong University) ;
- Yoon, Jong-Tae (Department of Civil Engineering, Kyungsung University)
- Received : 2010.04.06
- Accepted : 2010.06.18
- Published : 2010.06.30
During typhoon periods, coastal regions are often directly flooded by typhoon-surges. There are also many cases where coastal regions are inundated by river inundations or dam breaks. However, most studies on coastal flooding by typhoons have been restricted to cases involving the sea. Flooding by river inundation has been excluded in those studies. Usually ocean numerical models are not applied to river flow because the governing equations for ocean flow and river flow are not the same. For a coastal flooding simulation with river inundation, POM, the three-dimensional numerical ocean model, was applied to the popular river flow problems, dam-break problem, and flows over a spillway. The simulated results showed good agreement with other numerical simulations and measured data, suggesting the possibility of using POM in coastal flooding simulations involving direct coastal surges and river inundations.
Princeton ocean model (POM);Coastal flooding;River inundation
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 대한토목학회 (2005). 태풍 해일에 대비한 단지조성방안 연구, 한국토지공사.
- 서일원, 송창근 (2010). "천수흐름 해석을 위한 유한요소모형의 개발", 대한토목학회지, Vol 30, No 2B, pp 199-209.
- Alcrudo, F. and Mulet, J. (2007). "Description of the Tous Dam Break Case Study", Journal of Hydraulic Research, Vol 45, pp 45-57. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221686.2007.9521832
- Chaudhry, M.H. (2008). Open-Channel Flow, 2nd ed., Springer.
- Chung, T.J. (2002). Computational Fluid Dynamics, Cambridge University Press.
- Dyke, P. (2007). Modeling coastal and offshore structures, Imperical College Press.
- Fennema, R.J. and Chaudhry, M.H. (1990). "Explicit Methods for 2-D Transient Free-surface Flows", Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol 116, No 8, pp 1013-1034. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1990)116:8(1013)
- Fraccarollo, L. and Toro, E.F. (1996). "Experimental and Numerical Assessment of the Shallow Water Model for Two-dimensional Dam-break Type Problems", Journal of Hydraulic Research, Vol 33, No 6, pp 843-864. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221689509498555
- Liu, P.-L.F., Cho, Y.-S., Briggs, J., Kanolagu, U. and Synolakis, C.E. (1995). "Runup of Solitary Waves on a Circular Island", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol 302, pp 259-285. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112095004095
- Jacobson, M.Z. (2004). Fundamentals of Atmospheric Modling, Cambridge University Press.
- Mellor, G.L. (2003). User's Guide for a Three-Dimensional, Primitive Equation, Numerical Ocean Model, Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544-0710.
- Olsen, N.R.B. and Kjellesvig, H.M. (1998). "Three-Dimensional Numerical Flow Modelling for Estimation of Spillway Capacity", Journal of Hydraulic Research, Vol 36, No 5, pp 775-784. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221689809498602
- Wang, J.S., Ni, H.G. and He, Y.S. (2000). "Finite-Difference TVD Scheme for Computation of Dam-Break Problems", Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol 126, No 4, pp 253-262. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2000)126:4(253)
- Zhao, D.H., Shen, H.W., Tabios III, G.Q., Lai, J.S. and Tan, W.Y. (1994). "Finite-Volume Two-Dimensional Unsteady- Flow Model for River Basins", Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol 120, No. 7, pp 863-883. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1994)120:7(863)