- Volume 24 Issue 3
A study on the infrared signature of a naval ship by the solar elevation was performed using the well known IR signature analysis software, ShipIR/NTCS. The contrast radiant intensity of a ship against the Eastern Sea background from sunrise to noon was investigated. Monthly averaged climate data for both January and July were applied to investigate the seasonal change in the signature. A study on the signature for different ship speeds was also carried out. Simulation results showed that the maximum signature in both wave-bands for a sea-level observer occurred at around 25~35 degrees of solar elevation and was highly dependent on the ship geometry rather than the solar irradiance.
Infrared (IR) signature;Stealth technology;Contrast radiant intensity;Solar elevation;ShipIR/NTCS;Background condition
- Turbosquid webpage, https://www.turbosquid.com.
- Wikipedia webpage, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_052C.
- 길태준, 최준혁, 조용진, 김태국 (2007). “중위도 기상조건에서 함정의 연돌 방사율을 고려한 적외선 복사량 예측 및 감소 방안 연구", 대한조선학회논문집, 제44권, 제1호, pp 40-47.
- 조용진, 임용곤, 고창두, 유정석, 김선영, 김문찬, 이종식 (1995). 함정의 스텔스화에 관한 조사연구, 한국기계연구원 선박. 해양공학연구센터 보고서, UCE563-1893D.
- 조용진 (2005). 한반도 해양환경에 따른 적외선 신호 민감도 해석연구, 박사학위논문.
- 조용진 (2009). “해상에서 적외선신호의 계측절차 및 분석기법 연구", 한국해양공학회지, 제23권, 제3호, pp 53-58.
- 최준혁, 이지선, 김정호, 이성호, 김태국 (2008). “대기온도 및 풍속 변화에 따른 함정의 적외선 신호 특성 분석", 한국군사과학기술학회지, 제11권, 제5호, pp 84-91.
- Acharya, P.K., Berk, A., Anerson, G.P., Larsen, N.F., S-Chee and Stammes, K.H. (1999). "MODTRAN4: Multiple Scattering and Bi-Directional Distribution Function (BRDF) Upgrades to MODTRAN", Proc. of SPIE, Optical Spectroscopy Techniques and Instrumentation of Atmospheric and Space Research, Vol 3756.
- Berk, A., Bernsten, L.S. and Robertson, D.C. (1989). MODTRAN: A Moderate Resolution Model for LOWTRAN7, Air Force Geophysics Laboratory, Hanscom AFB, MA, GLTR- 89-0122.
- Davis, W.R. (2000). User Manual for the Naval Threat Countermeasures Simulator (NTCS), Davis Engineering Ltd.
- Davis, W.R. (2002). Technical Manual for ShipIR/NTCS(V2.9), W.R. Davis Engineering Ltd. Doc. No. A912-002, Rev.0.
- Hudson, R.D. Jr. (1969). Infrared System Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Pollock, D.H. (1993). The Infrared & Electro-Optical Systems Handbook, Vol 7, Countermeasure Systems, SPIE Press.
- Sanders, J.S. (2000). Ground Target Infrared Signature Modeling with the Multi-Service Electro-optic Signature (MuSES) Code, Proc. of SPIE, Targets and Backgrounds VI.
- Saunders, C.S. (2005). Jane's Fighting Ships 2005-2006, jfs.janes.com, pp 125.
- Vaitekunas, D.A. and Fraedrich, D.S. (1999). Validation of the NATO-standard ship signature model (SHIPIR), SPIE Conference Paper #3699.
- Vaitekunas, D.A. (2005). Validation of ShipIR (v3.2): Methodology and Results, 1st Int. IR Target and Background Modeling Workshop.
- Zissis, G.J. (1993). The Infrared & Electro-Optical Systems Handbook, Vol.1, Sources of Radiation, SPIE Press.