- Volume 42 Issue 2
Development of Synthetic Sizing Agent Using Recycling Polyethylene Terephthalate and its Sizing Efficiency (Part 2) - Sizing efficiency of modified PET -
재활용 PET를 활용한 합성 사이즈제 개발 및 종이의 내수성 부여에 관한 연구 (제2보) - 개질 PET의 내수특성 평가 -
- Park, Jae-Seok (Dept. of Forest Product & Biotechnology, Kookmin University) ;
- Kim, Hyoung-Jin (Dept. of Forest Product & Biotechnology, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2010.06.03
- Accepted : 2010.06.22
- Published : 2010.06.30
For the development of higher-sizing performance of paper, a sizing agent using recycled PET was synthesised. Polyester resin was extracted from wasted PET by subcritical hydrolysis and finally modified to synthetic sizing agent by mixing water-disperse PET with triphenyl phosphite(TPP). The modified PET was considered as an internal sizing agent in different wet-end papermaking conditions. The optimum condition in sizing efficiency was obtained in initial pH of 6.5 in case of rosin+alum system, and 7.5 in case of rosin+alum+PET system, respectively, and in addition amount of PET 3%. The sizing efficiency was also closely related according to the fiber properties of wet-end slurry, such as virgin fibres from UKP and recycled fibres from KOCC. The application of modified PET was good in strength improvement of paper, specially in tensile strength.
- Blumchein H. W., Plast Europe, 605, Oct (1992).
- Carrier K., Technology for Recycling Post-Consumer and Industrial Waste Plastic into New, High Quality Product. Proceedings of the ANTEC p. 1807-1808 (1989).
- Sasse F. and Gerhard E., Chemical Recycling of Polymer Material, Chem. Eng. Technol., 21(10), p. 777-789 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1521-4125(199810)21:10<777::AID-CEAT777>3.0.CO;2-L
- Zou, Y., Hsieh, J. S., Wang T. S., Mehnert E. and Kokoszka J., PET polyester resins used in the wet end at neutral-alkaline papermaking conditions, Tappi J, 4(6), p. 27-32 (2005).
- Wang, T. S., Hsieh, J. S., Pellitier, P. and Kokoszka, J., The recyclability of papers treated with environmentally friendly PET polyester, Tappi J, 5(1), p 27-32 (2006).
- Wang, T. S. and Pelletier, P., Sizing paper by wet-end addition of water dispersibility polyester, U.S. Pat. Disclosure 2003-127210 (2003).
- Park, J. S. and Kim, H. J., Development of synthetic sizing agent using recycling polyethylene terephtahalate and its sizing efficiency (Part 1), J. of KTAPPI 40(4), p. 27-33 (2008).
- Jacques, B., Devaux, J., Legras, R. and Nield, E., Reactions induced by tryphenyl phosphite addition during melt mixing of PET/PBT blends: chromatographic evidence of a molecular weight increase due to the creation of bonds of two different natures, Polymer, 38(21), p. 5367-5377 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-3861(97)00097-9
- Lee, H. L., Fundamentals of Rosin and Alkaline Sizing, J. of KTAPPI 21(1), p. 32-38 (1989).