- Volume 5 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Design and Implementation of Photovoltaic Power Conditioning System using a Current-based Maximum Power Point Tracking
Lee, Sang-Hoey;Kim, Jae-Eon;Cha, Han-Ju
- Received : 2010.01.28
- Accepted : 2010.07.21
- Published : 2010.11.01
This paper proposes a novel current-based maximum power point tracking (CMPPT) method for a single-phase photovoltaic power conditioning system (PV PCS) by using a modified incremental conductance method. The CMPPT method simplifies the entire control structure of the power conditioning system and uses an inherent current source characteristic of solar cell arrays. Therefore, it exhibits robust and fast response under a rapidly changing environmental condition. Digital phase locked loop technique using an all-pass filter is also introduced to detect the phase of grid voltage, as well as the peak voltage. Controllers of dc/dc boost converter, dc-link voltage, and dc/ac inverter are designed for coordinated operation. Furthermore, a current control using a pseudo synchronous d-q transformation is employed for grid current control with unity power factor. A 3 kW prototype PV PCS is built, and its experimental results are given to verify the effectiveness of the proposed control schemes.
Single-phase photovoltaic power conditioning system;Digital phase locked loop;dc/dc boost converter;dc/ac inverter;CMPPT;dP/dI
- J. Kwon, K. Nam, B. Kwon, “Photovoltaic Power Conditioning System With Line Connection,” IEEE Transactions On Industrial Electronics, Vol. 53, No. 4, p. 1048-1054, August 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.878329
- J. Gow and C. Manning,“Controller arrangement for boost converter systems sourced from solar photovoltaic arrays or other maximum power sources,” Proc. Inst. Electr. Eng. Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 147, No. 1, pp. 15-20, Jan. 2000. pp. 15-20, Jan. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20000018
- J. Enslin,M.Wolf, D. Snyman, and W. Sweigers, “Integrated photovoltaic maximum power point tracking converter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 44, No. 6, pp. 769-773, Dec. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.649937
- O. Wasynzczuk, “Dynamic behavior of a class of photovoltaic power systems,” IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst., Vol. PAS-102, No. 1, pp. 3031-3037, Sep. 1983. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1983.318109
- K. Hussein, I. Muta, T. Hoshino, and M. Osakada, “Maximum photovoltaic power tracking: An algorithm for rapidly changing atmosphere conditions,” Proc. Inst. Electr. Eng., Vol. 142, pt. G, No. 1, pp. 59-64, Jan. 1995.
- Y. Kuo, T. Liang, J. Chen,"Novel maximum-power-point-tracking controller for photovoltaic energy conversion system," IEEE Transactions On Industrial Electronics, Vol. 48, No. 3, p. 594-601, June 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.925586
- S. Sakamoto, T.Izumi, T Yokoyama, T Haneyoshi, “A New Method for Digital PLL control Using Estimated Quadrature Two Phase Frequency Detection,” IEEE CNF PCC(Power Conversion Conference), Vol 2, p 671-676, April 2002.
- V.Blasko, V.Kaura, “Operation of a Phase Locked Loop System under Distorted Utility Conditions,” IEEE Transactions On Industrial Electronics, Vol.33, No.1, p. 58-63, January/February 1997.
- I. Hwang, K. Ahn, H. Lim, S. Kim, “Design, development and performance of a 50 kW grid connected PV system with three phase current-controlled inverter,” Proc. Photovoltaic. Specialist, 2000, p. 1664-1667, 15-22 Sept. 2000.
- M.A.S. Masoum, M. Sarvi, “Voltage and current based MPPT of solar arrays under variable insulation and temperature conditions,” Proc. UPEC 2008, p. 1-5, 1-4 Sept. 2008.
- M.A.S. Masoum, H. Dehbonei, “Theoretical and experimental analyses of photovoltaic systems with voltageand current-based maximum power-point tracking,” IEEE Trans. Energy conversion Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 514-522, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.805205
- S. Lee, T An, H Cha, “Mitigation of Low Frequency AC Ripple in Single-Phase Photovoltaic Power Conditioning Systems”, Journal of Power Electronics Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 328-333, 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.3.328
- Y. K, “Digital Control of inverter for grid-connected PV system, master thesis Kyungpook National University, 2004.
- H. Cha, S. Lee, “Design and Implementation of Photovoltaic Power Conditioning System Using a Current Based Maximum Power Point Tracking”, IEEE-IAS Annual Meeting, October 2008, pp.1-5.
- Maximum power point tracking without current sensor for photovoltaic module integrated converter using Zigbee wireless network vol.56, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2013.11.020
- Microgrid dynamic responses enhancement using artificial neural network-genetic algorithm for photovoltaic system and fuzzy controller for high wind speeds vol.29, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/jnm.2078
- Design and Realization of a Digital PV Simulator with a Push-Pull Forward Circuit vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.3.444
- Series-Connected Forward–Flyback Converter for High Step-Up Power Conversion vol.26, pp.12, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2162747
- Analysis and design of phase-interleaving series-connected module-integrated converter for DC-link ripple reduction of multi-stage photovoltaic power systems 2012, https://doi.org/10.1002/pip.1260
- Comparative Study of Maximum Power Point Tracking Techniques for Photovoltaic Systems vol.2015, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/812582