- Volume 15 Issue 3
Pulp and paper mill wastewater has been treated by biological treatment, but the secondary effluent still contains high lignin, chemical oxygen demand, color and total dissolved solids. Tertiary treatment by land application, referred to as 'Project Green,' has been implemented to treat such high quantities of undesirable matters. The impacts of seepage from Project Green diffusing into receiving streams on the water quality and fish pen aquaculture were studied via the integration of technical and social approaches. The determination of the water quality was performed for 13 sampling stations along the receiving stream, including the Chot stream, Chot lagoon and the Pong River. The water quality was generally at normal levels, with the exception of total dissolved solids. The levels of matter were higher at the Chot stream, but became more diluted at the Chot lagoon and the Pong River, respectively. The social approach was conducted through the voluntary participation of the villagers as research assistants for the fish aquaculture study. Fish could grow at three fish pens within the study sites at the location of Project Green, the Chot lagoon and the Pong River. Fish growth at the Chot lagoon was better at the site of Project Green and the Pong River. The integration of technical and social approaches was a meaningful tool not only for the technical feasibility but in helping to solve the conflict between the community and industry.
Seepage of land treatment;Project Green;Diffuse pollution;Fish pen aquaculture;Water quality
- Wirojanagud W, et al. Study of land treatment for pulp and paper mill effluent: Project Green [Research Report]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen University; 2002.
- Wirojanagud W, et al. Participatory research on utilization of effluent of pulp and paper mill for aquaculture and agriculture [Research Report]. Research Center of Environment and Hazardous Substance Management. Khon Kaen University; 2007.
- Notification of the National Environmental Board, No. 8, B.E. 2537 (1994) issued under the Enhancement and Conservation of National Environmental Quality Act B.E.2535 (1992), published in the Royal Government Gazette, Vol. 111, Part 16, dated February 24, B.E.2537 (1994).
- Water Allocation and Maintenance Division, RID, September and October. Water quality for irrigation manuals. No.15 and No. 17. 1978.
- Tauon M, Teerajindakhajorn P, Wirojanagud W. Wastewater reused for economic crop production [Research Report]. Research Center of Environment and Hazardous Substance Management, Khon Kaen University; 2008.
- Chalorkpunrut P, Wirojanagud W, Thebsri S. Using of aerators for influencing fish production in cage culture [Research Report]. Research Center of Environment and Hazardous Substance Management, Khon Kaen University; 2007.