- Volume 30 Issue 4
In order to develop new functional yogurts using mulberries and mulberry leaves, which were cultivated in Hwasun-gun, Jeonnam Province, Korea, the nutritional compositions, fermentation conditions, sensory properties, and storage stabilities of the yogurts were analyzed. The mulberry powder yogurt contained 87.96% moisture, 3.21% carbohydrate, 4.52% protein, 3.63% lipid, and 0.68% ash, and the mulberry leaf yogurt contained 86.36% moisture, 4.13% carbohydrate, 4.87% protein, 3.79% lipid, and 0.85% ash. A yogurt base was fermented for 13 h with 0.01% ABT-5 starter inoculum at
mulberry;mulberry leaf;yogurt;sensory evaluation
- AOAC (2000) Official Methods of Analysis. 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC, USA, pp. 1-32.
- Chamber, J. (1979) Culture and processing technique important to the manufacture good quality yogurt. Cult. Dairy Prod. J. 14, 28-34.
- Gilliland, S. E. (1989) Acidophilus milk products, review of potential benefits to consumer. J. Dairy Sci. 72, 2483-2489. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(89)79389-9
- Hassimotto, N. M. A., Genovese, M. I., and Lajolo, F. M. (2005) Antioxidant activity of dietary fruits, vegetables and commercial frozen fruits pulps. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53, 2928-2935. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf047894h
- Hong, J. H., Ahn, J. M., Choi, S. W., and Rhee, S. J. (2004) The effects of mulberry on the antioxidative defense system and oxidative stress in erythrocytes of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Nutr. Sci.. 7, 127-132. https://doi.org/10.1080/10284150400003041
- Hong, W., Guohua, C., and Ronald, L. (1997) Oxygen radical absorbing capacity of anthocyanins. J. Agric. Food Chem. 45, 304-309. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf960421t
- Hood, S. K. and Zottola, E. A. (1988) Effect of low pH on the ability of Lactobacillus acidophilus to survive and adhere to human intestinal cells. J. Food Sci. 55, 506-511.
- Kim, K. H., Hwang, H. R., Jo, J. E., Lee, S. Y., Kim, N. Y., and Yook, H. S. (2009) Quality characteristics of yogurt prepared with flowering cherry (Prunus serrulata L. var. spontanea Max. wils.) fruit powder during storage. Korean J. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38, 1229-1236. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.9.1229
- Kim, S. Y. and Lee, W. C. (1996) The effects of mulberry on inhibition of HMG-Co A reductase activity. RDA J. Agric. Sci. 38, 133-139.
- Kim, S. Y., Park, K. J., and Lee, W. C. (1998) Antiinflammatory and antioxidative effects of Moru spp. fruit extract. Kor. J. Med. Crop. Sci. 6, 204-209.
- Kim, T. Y. and Kwon, Y. B. (1996) A study on the antidiabetic effect of mulberry. Kor. J. Seric. Sci. 38, 100-107.
- Korea Food Industry Association (2008) KFDA Food Codex, pp. 169-171.
- Lee, H. W., Shin, D. H., and Lee, W. C. (1998) Morphological and chemical characteristics of mulberry (Morus) fruit with varieties. J. Korean Seric. Sci. 40, 1-7.
- Lee, A. C. (2009) Development of functional yogurts prepared with mulberry leaf and mulberry. MS thesis, Chonnam National Univ., Gwangju, Korea, pp. 16-47.
- Park, W. K., Park, B. H., and Park, Y. H. (2000) Encyclopedia of Foods and Food Science. Shin Kwang Publishing Co., Seoul, pp. 660-661.
- Seeram, N. P. (2008) Berry fruits for cancer prevention: current status and future prospects. J. Agric. Food Chem. 56, 630-635. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf072504n
- Suh, H. J., Kim, Y .S., Kim, J. M., and Lee, H. (2006) Effect of mulberry extract on the growth of yogurt starter cultures. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 26, 144-147.
- Sung, Y. M., Cho, J. R., Oh, N. S., Kim, D. C., and In, M. J. (2005) Preparation and quality characteristics of curd yogurt added with chlorella. J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 48, 60-64.
- Yen, G. C., Wu, S. C., and Duh, P. D. (1996) Extraction and identification of antioxidant components from leaves of mulberry (Morus alba L.). J. Agric. Food Chem. 44, 1687-1690. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9503725
- Chae, J. Y., Lee, J. Y., Hong, I. S., Whangbo, D., Choi, P. W., Lee, W. C., Kim, J. W., Choi, S. W., and Ree, S. J. (2003) Analysis of functional components of leaves of different mulberry cultivars. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 32, 15-21. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.1.015
- Bang, B. H. and Park, H. H. (2000) Preparation of yogurt added with green tea and mugwort tea and quality characteristics. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 29, 854-859.
- Kim, H. B., Lee, W. C., Kim, S. Y., Lee, Y. K., and Bang, H. S. (1998) Effect of mulberry leaf for the removal of Cd and Pb in drink water. J. Korean Seric. Sci. 40, 17-22.
- Kimura, M., Chen, F. J., Nakashima, N., Kimura, I., Asano, N., and Koya, S. (1995) Anti-hyperglycemic effect of N-containing sugars derived from mulberry leaf in streptozocininduced diabetic mice. J. Trad. Med. 12, 214-219.
- Park, E. J. and Jhon, D. Y. (2006) Preparation and characteristics of yogurt prepared with salted bamboo shoots. Korean J. Food Culture 21, 179-186.
- 1. Effects of Freeze-dried Mulberry on Antioxidant Activities and Fermented Characteristics of Yogurt during Refrigerated Storage vol.35, pp.6, 2015, doi:10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.4.649