- Volume 10 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Methods of Subjective Image Quality Evaluation in Pictorial Images
사진의 주관적 화질 평가 방법; 요인 분석을 통한 평가 항목 선정을 중심으로
- Received : 2010.05.13
- Accepted : 2010.06.28
- Published : 2010.08.28
Recent changes show that the goals of reproduction devices have changed from accurately reproducing scenes to improving user preference. It implies that the directions in developing cameras, the most common reproduction devices, are moving from performance-centered to quality-centered, from developers to users. Accepting such changes demand new standards in evaluating reproduction devices. This paper suggests a new method to evaluate the quality of images, based on cognitive properties of users. The quality of an image is a result oriented from the interaction of various attributes, therefore some functional tests are not enough to evaluate total quality of an image. In this respect, an evaluation model which integrates various physical attributes of an image is needed, that enables a third observer to subjectively evaluate the total quality of an image. In this paper, the experiment was carried out to 127 subjects, with the 84 test stimuli and 11 evaluation factors, followed by an factor analysis. The evaluation factors to assess the quality of images in this paper includes the results by cognitions of users and the properties of reproduction, the factors not only evaluate the quality but suggest how to improve them.
Digital Camera;Image Quality;Evaluation;Emotion;Photography
Supported by : 삼성 전자(주)
- 박수진, 정우현, 현재현, 신수진, “사진 이미지와 관련된 감성 어휘 분석 및 색 유무에 따른 감성 반응 비교”, 한국감성과학회지, 제7권, 제1호, pp.41-49, 2004.
- 양병화, “다변량 데이터 분석법의 이해”, 서울: 커뮤니케이션북스. 2006.
- 장은혜, 최상섭, 이경화, 손진훈, “TV 화질에 대한 감성평가 척도 개발”, 감성과학회지, 제12권, 제1호, pp121-128, 2009.
- 정우현, 신수진, 박수진, 한재현, “사진의 밝기, 대비, 색조의 변화가 감상자의 감성인상에 미치는 효과”, 한국사진학회지, 14호, pp.149-156, 2006.
- Brain W. Keelan, “Handbook of Image Quality; Characterization and Prediction,” New York: Marcel Dekker, 2002.
- Don Williams, Peter Burns, Larry Scarff, “Imaging Performance Taxonomy,” SPIE-IS&T Electronic Imaging Symposium, San Joe:CA, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.806236
- Feigenbaum, “Total Quality Control", New York: Mcgraw-Hill, 1983.
- ISO 20462, "Photography - Psychophysical experimental methods to estimate image quality," International Organization for Standardization, 2004.
- ISO 3664, "Viewing conditions - Graphic technology and photography," International Organization for Standardization, 2000.
- ITU-R Rec. BT. 500-11, "Methodology for the subjective assessment of the quality of television pictures," 2002.
- Jenni Radun, Tuomas Leisti, Jukka Häkkinen, Harri Ojanen, Jean-Luc Ilives, Tero Vuori, Gote Nyman, "Content and Quality: Interpretation-Based Estimation of Image Quality," ACM Transactions on Applied Perception, Vol.4, No.4, p.21, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1145/1278760.1278762
- Marius Pedersen, Nicolas Bonnier, Jon Y. Hardeberg, Fritz Albregtsen, "Attributes of a New Image Quality Model for Color Prints," 17th Color Imaging Conference Final Program and Proceedings, Society for Imaging Science and Technology, pp.204-209, 2009.
- Mark D. Fairchild, "Color Appearance Model," WILEY, 2007.
- Peter G. Engeldrum, "Psychometric Scaling: Avoiding the Pitfalls and Hazards," IS&T's 2001 PICS Conference Proceedings, pp.101-107, 2001.
- S. N. Yendrikhovskij, "Color reproduction and the naturalness constraint," Eindhoven: Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, 1998.
- S. N. Yendrikhovskij, F. J. J. Blommaert, and H. de Ridder, "Representation of memory prototype for an object color," Color Research and Application, Vol.24, No.6, pp.52-67, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6378(199902)24:1<52::AID-COL10>3.0.CO;2-4
- Linguistic Analysis of Human Sensibility in Various Pictorial Images vol.12, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.02.182