- Volume 10 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Flow Experience of Digital Contents: Focusing on the Case of Online Games
디지털 콘텐츠 몰입경험: 온라인게임 사례를 중심으로
- Received : 2010.05.24
- Accepted : 2010.07.20
- Published : 2010.08.28
The purpose of this paper is to examine a user's flow experience of digital contents. In the paper, the flow experience of digital contents was applied to the case of online games and it was experimentally investigated whether challenge and skill affect the user's flow experience. The results of the paper indicate that there are differences in the flow experience according to the level (low, medium, high) of challenge and skill in the context of online games. Furthermore, there is no interaction effect between challenge and skill affecting flow experience. The findings provide useful implications for IT firms that will plan to develop and design digital contents.
Digital Contents;Flow Experience;Challenge;Skill
- M. Csikszentmihalyi, Flow: the psychology of optimal experience, New York: Harper & Row, 1990.
- 최동성, 김호영, 김진우, “컴퓨터 게임의 디자인 요소에 대한 상대적 중요도 연구 - 제작자와 소비자 간의 비교를 중심으로 -”, 한국경영정보학회 춘계학술대회, pp.451-460, 1999.
- M. Csikszentmihalyi, Beyond boredom and anxiety, 1st edition, San Francisco, CA, Jossey-Bass, 1975.
- 김영균, 안형호, 오주연, “개인의 이용 경험과 기술능력에 따른 온라인 게임 수용성”, e-비즈니스 연구, 제10호, 제3호, pp.257-279, 2009.
- J. Ghani and S. Deshpande, "Task Characteristics and the Experience of Optimal Flow in Human-Computer Interaction," The Journal of Psychology, Vol.128, No.4, pp.381-391, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1994.9712742
- M. Koufaris, "Applying the technology acceptance model and flow theory to online consumer behavior," Information Systems Research, Vol.13, No.2, pp.205-223, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.126.96.36.199
- T. Ahn, S. Ryu and I. Han, "The impact of Web quality and playfulness on user acceptance of online retailing," Information & Management, Vol.44. No.3, pp.263-275, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2006.12.008
- F. Massimini and M. Carli, The systematic assessment of flow in daily experience, In M. Csikszentmihalyi & I. S. Csikszentmihalyi (Eds.), Optimal Experience, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp.266-287, 1988.
- C. Mathwick and E. Rigdon, "Play, flow, and the online search experience," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.3, No.2, pp.324-332, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1086/422111
- I. Rha, M. Willians, and G. Heo, "Optimal Flow Experience in Web-Based Instruction," Asia Pacific Education Review, Vol.6, No.1, pp.50-58, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03024967
- U. Konradt, R. Filip, and S. Hoffmann, "Flow experience and positive affect during hypermedia learning," British Journal of Educational Technology, Vol.34, No.3, pp.311-330, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8535.00329
- Y. Guo and Y. Ro, "Capturing flow in the business classroom," Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education, Vol.6, No.2, pp.437-462, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4609.2008.00185.x
- D. Choi, J. Kim, and S. Kim, "ERP training with a web-based electronic learning system: The flow theory perspective," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Vol.65, No.3, pp.223-243, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2006.10.002
- J. Pearce, M. Ainley, and S. Howard, "The ebb and flow of online learning," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.21, No.1, pp.745-711, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2004.02.019
- T. Chou and C. Ting, "The Role of Flow Experience in Cyber-Game Addiction," CyberPsychology & Behavior, Vol.6, No.6, pp.663-675, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1089/109493103322725469
- T. Novak, D. Hoffman, and Y. Yung, "Measuring the Customer. Experience in Online Environments: A Structural Modeling Approach," Marketing Science, Vol.19, No.1, pp.22-42, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.188.8.131.5284
- 박찬일, 양해승, 양해술, “게임의 장르별 재미 요소”, 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제7권, 제12호, pp.20-29, 2007.