- Volume 34 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
CWT-Based Method for Identifying the Location of the Impact Source in Buried Pipes
연속웨이브렛 변환을 이용한 충격음 위치 규명
- Kim, Eui-Youl (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Inha Univ.) ;
- Kim, Min-Su (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Inha Univ.) ;
- Lee, Sang-Kwon (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Inha Univ.) ;
- Koh, Jae-Pil (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul Nat‘l Univ.)
- Received : 2009.08.17
- Accepted : 2010.08.19
- Published : 2010.11.01
This paper presents a new method for indentifying the location of impact source in a buried duct. In a gas pipeline, the problem of leakage occurs due to the mechanical load exerted by construction equipment. Such leakage can cause catastrophic disasters in gas supply industries. Generally, the cross-correlation method has been used for indentifying the location of impact source in a pipeline. Since this method involves the use of the dispersive acoustic wave, it derives an amount of error in process of estimating the time delay between acoustic sensors. The object of this paper is to estimate the time delay in the arrival of the direct wave by using the wavelet transform instead of the dispersive wave. The wavelet transform based method gives more accurate estimates of the impact location than the cross-correlation method does. This method is successfully used to identify the location of impact force in an actual buried gas duct.
Continuous Wavelet Transform;Impact Location;Acoustic Wave;Duct;Dispersive Wave
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Farahnak, S. D., et al, 2000, “Understanding Line Leak Detection Systems,” State Water Resources Control Board, California Environmental Protection Agency.
- Lee, T. S., 1993, “A Review on the Leak Detection System,” Daewoo Engineering & Construction Technology Magazine, Vol. 10, No. 1.
- Martin, M. T. and Doyle, J. F., 1996, “Impact Force Location in Frame Structures,” Int. J. Impact Engng, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 79-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(95)00016-9
- Lee, S. K., Banerjee, S. and Mal, A., 2007, “Identification of Impact Force on a Thick Plate Based on the Elastodynamic and Higher-Order Time-Frequency Analysis,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 221, No. 11, pp. 1249-1263. https://doi.org/10.1243/09544062JMES674
- Gao, Y., Muggleton, J. M., Brennan, M. J., Joseph, P. F. and Hunaidi O., 2005, “On the Selection of Acoustic/Vibration Sensors for Leak Detection in Plastic Water Pipes,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 283, No. 3-5, pp. 927-941. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.05.004
- Kim, M. S., Lee, S. K. and Kim, S. J., 2008, “Identification of Impact Force on the Gas Pipe Based on Analysis of the Acoustic Wave,” International Journal of Modern Physics B, Vol. 22, No. 9, pp. 1039-1044. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217979208046281
- Kinsler, L. E., 1999, Fundamental of Acoustics 4th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Munjal, M. L., 1987, Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers with Application to Exhaust and Ventilation System Design, Vibration Testing, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Eriksson, L. J., 1980, “Higher Order Mode Effects in Circular Order Mode Effects in Circular Ducts and Expansion Chamber,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 68, No. 2, pp. 545-550.
- Mason, V., 1969, “Some Experiments on the Propagation of Sound along a Cylindrical Duct Containing Flowing Air,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 208-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(69)90197-7
- Beggs, H. D., 1991, Production Optimization, Oil & Gas Consultants International Inc., Vol.129.
- Kumar, S., 1987, Gas Production Engineering, Gulf Publishing Company, pp. 284-285.
- Burstein, L., Ingman, D. and Michlin, Y., 1999, “Correlation Between Gas Molecular Weight, Heating Value and Sonic Speed Under Variable Compositions of Natural Gas,” ISA Transactions, Vol. 38, pp. 347-359. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-0578(99)00028-2
- Lee, S. K., 2002, “An Acoustic Decay Measurement Based on Time-Frequency Analysis Using Wavelet Transform,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 252, No. 1, pp. 141-152. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2001.4035
- Lee, S. K., 2007, “Acoustic and Noise Signal Processing and Its Application,” Journal of Sound and Vibration Magazine, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 9-15.