- Volume 34 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Key Parameter of Peel-off Test for Reliability Assessment of Toner Film
토너 박막의 신뢰성 평가를 위한 Peel-off Test의 주요인자
- Kim, Kwang-Il (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Kim, Dae-Eun (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.)
- Received : 2009.12.28
- Accepted : 2010.08.13
- Published : 2010.11.01
In printing systems, the reliability of printed material depends on the ability of the toner film to remain adhered to the paper surface. In order to measure the strength between the toner film and the paper surface, a peel-off test is often performed. After conducting the test, the amount of toner film remaining on the paper is measured in order to determine the interfacial strength. The results of this test can be affected by many factors such as the peeling rate, weight of the roller used, and dwell time of tape. Sensitivity analysis was performed with respect to peeling rate, weight of roller and dwell time of tape at different levels. It was found that the interfacial strength increased with an increase in these main parameters. On the other hand, the trend with respect to the percentage of toner loss was different. Further, the interfacial strength and percentage of toner loss were significantly affected by the peeling rate.
Toner Film;Interfacial Strength;Peel-off Test;Taguchi Experimental Design Method;Peeling Rate
- Oittinen, P., Saarelma, H., 1998, “Printing, Papermaking Science and Technology," book 13, Fapet Oy, Helsinki.
- Hartus, T., 2001, “Adhesion of Electrophotographic Toner on Paper," Graphic Arts in Finland, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 14-19.
- Maher, J. C., Chatfield, R., Aponte, F. and Charles, D., 2001, “MICR Performance and the Relationship to MICR Toner Adhesion," Inter. Conference on Digital Printing Technologies.
- Scharfe, M., 1984, “Electrophtography Principles and Optimization," Wiley, New York.
- Schein, L. B., 1992, “Electrophography and Development Physics," Springer, New York.
- Scott, C. T., Gleisner, R., Jeanne, D. B., 2000, “Method for Evaluating Toner Adhesion on Copier Paper," TAPPI Recycling Symposium, pp. 241-250.
- Borch, J., 1991, “Thermodynamics of Polymer-Paper Adhesion: a Review," J. Adhesion Sci. Techno., Vol. 5, No. 7, pp. 523-541. https://doi.org/10.1163/156856191X00729
- ASTM D3330/D3330M-01, “Standard Test Method for Peel Adhesion of Pressuresensitive Tape," ASTM International.
- McGuiggan, P. M., Chiche, A., Filliben, J. J. and Yarusso, D. J., 2008, “Peel of an Adhesive Tape from a Temperature-Gradient Surface," International Journal of Adhesion & Adhesives, Vol. 28, pp. 185-191.
- Park, S. H., 2000, “Modern Design of Experiments," Minyoungsa, Seoul, Korea.
- Baek, N. K., Kim, D. E., 2002, “Optimization of Laser Lithography Micropatterning Technique based on Taguchi Method," Journal of the Korean Society of Precision Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 7, pp. 59-63.
- Ahn, J. Y., Kim, D. E., Choi, J. Y., Choi, J. Y. and Shin, K. H., 2003, “Friction Properties of Carbon Coated Ultra-thin Film using Taguchi Experimental Design," Journal of the Korean Society of Precision Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 143-150.