- Volume 34 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Motion of Batoid Fins for Thrust Generation by Using Fluid-Structure Interaction Method
추진력 생성을 위한 가오리 날개 짓의 유체-구조연성 수치해석
- Kwon, Dong-Hyun (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jong-Soo (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.)
- Received : 2009.12.30
- Accepted : 2010.09.01
- Published : 2010.11.01
Recently, the development of bio-mimetic underwater vehicles that can emulate the characteristic movements of marine fish and mammals has attracted considerable attention. In this study, the motion of the batoid (i.e., cownose ray) fin that facilitates excellent cruising and maneuvering during underwater movement has been studied. The velocity achieved and distance covered with each fin movement are numerically studied. A fluid-structure interaction method is used to perform 3D time-dependent numerical analysis, wherein an adaptive mesh is employed to account for the large deformation of a fin interacting with a fluid. The results of a preliminary study show that the thrust of a ray fin is highly dependent on the frequency. Further, once the fin amplitude required for generating a given thrust is evaluated for the conditions experienced by an actual ray, the frequency and amplitude values for achieving better thrust are determined.
Batoid Fish;Fin Motion;Fluid-Structure Interaction(FSI);Frequency;Amplitude
- Heine, C., 1992, “Mechanics of Flapping Fin Locomotion in the Cownose Ray, Rhinopera Bonasus (Dlasmobranchii: Myliobatidae),” Ph.D. Thesis, Duke University.
- Blake, R. W., 1979, “The Swimming of the Mandarin Fish Synchropus Picturatus (Callionyiidae: Teleostei),” Journal of the Marine Biological Association, 59, pp. 421-428. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315400042739
- Rosenberger, L. J., 2001, “Pectoral Fin Locomotion in Batoid Fishes: Undulation Versus Oscillation,” The Journal of Experimental Biology, 204, pp. 379-394.
- Clark, R. P. and Smits A. J., 2006, “Thrust Production and Wake Structure of a Batoid-Inspired Oscillating Fin,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 562, 415-429 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112006001297
- Theo, P. L. Brower, 2006, Design of a Manta Ray Inspired Underwater Propulsive Mechanism for Long range, Low Power Operation, Ms.D. Thesis, Tufts University.
- Yang, S. B., Qiu J., Han X. Y., 2009, “Kinematics Modeling and Experiments of Pectoral Oscillation Propulsion Robotic Fish,” Journal of Bionic Engineering, 6, pp. 174-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1672-6529(08)60114-6
- Zhang, H., and Bathe, K. J., 2001, “Direct and Iterative Computing of Fluid Flows Fully Coupled with Structures,” Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics, K. J. Bathe, Editor, Elsevier Science.
- ADINA R&D, Inc., 2008, Theory and Modeling Guide Volume III: ADINA CFD & FSI, A User’s Manual.