- Volume 34 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Human-Oriented Design of Backrest of Office Chair Using Haptic-aided Design and Lumber Angle Prediction
햅틱보조설계 기법과 요추각도의 예측을 이용한 의자등판의 인간중심적인 설계
- Lee, Sang-Duck (School of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Lee, Hae-A (School of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Song, Jae-Bok (School of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Chae, Soo-Won (School of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.)
- Received : 2010.01.12
- Accepted : 2010.09.16
- Published : 2010.11.01
Haptic-aided design (HAD) involves the use of a haptic simulator in place of physical prototypes in the design and development of products with which human beings interact physically. The development time and cost can be significantly reduced by adopting this HAD scheme. Although both physical and emotional factors are equally important, only the emotional factors were taken into consideration in the previous HAD process. Consequently, the design of the products was sometimes unsatisfactory from the viewpoint of ergonomics, even though users were emotionally satisfied with the products. To overcome this problem, in this study, we propose a new human-oriented design methodology that is enhanced by taking the physical factors into consideration. The HAD scheme was verified by using a haptic chair simulator to design a tilt mechanism of an office chair for which the stiffness of the backrest can be adjusted; then, the design was simulated using MADYMO. The results show that the proposed method can reflect both the physical and emotional factors to modify the design in real-time.
Haptics-Aided Design;Haptic profile;Chair design
Supported by : 한국과학재단
- Jin, Y. and Song, J.-B., 2009, “Design of Chair’s Tilt System Using Haptic Chair,” Proc. of KSPE Spring Annual Meeting, pp. 285-286.
- Otaduty, M. A. and Lin M. C. , 2005, “Introduction to Haptic Rendering,” International Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques archive ACM SIGGRAPH 2005 Courses, pp. A45-A71.
- Huh, S.H., Jin, Y. and Song, J.B., 2008, “Design of Haptic Chair Based on Haptic-Aided Design Capable of Design Parameter Adjustment,” Proc. of KSME Autumn Annual Meeting, pp. 860-864.
- Jin, Y., Lee, S. D. and Song, J.B., 2010, “Design of Backrest and Seat Pan of Chairs on the Basis of Haptics-Aided Design Method,” Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 527-533.
- Huh, S.H., Lee, S. D. and Song, J.-B., 2009, “Haptic-Aided Design Using a Haptic Chair with Adjustable Backrest,” Trans. of the KROS, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 243-249.
- Burdea, G. C. , 1996, Force and Touch Feedback for Virtual Reality, Wiley-Interscience, pp. 35-39.
- Faiks, F. S. Allie, P. and Reinecke, S. M., 1999, “Supporting the Torso Through Seated Articulation,” 43rd Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, pp. 574 -578.
- Adams, M. A. and Hutton, W. C., 1985, “The Effect of Posture on the Lumbar Spine,” British Editorial Society of Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol. 67-B, No. 4, pp. 625-629