- Volume 34 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Specimen Geometry on Stress Distribution in Sandwich Specimen Under Combined Loads
복합하중을 받는 샌드위치 시편의 응력분포에 미치는 시편 형상의 영향
- Park, Su-Kyeong (School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Univ. of Ulsan) ;
- Hong, Sung-Tae (School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Univ. of Ulsan)
- Received : 2010.02.23
- Accepted : 2010.08.17
- Published : 2010.11.01
The effects of specimen geometry and loading conditions on the stress distribution in a sandwich specimen under combined loads are investigated by elastic finite element analysis. A commercial software NASTRAN is used in plain-strain two-dimensional finite element analysis of sandwich specimens; the analysis was performed for three different specimen shape factors and four different combined displacement conditions. The results of computational analysis suggest that the effect of the combined displacement angle, which is defined as the ratio of the shear displacement to the normal displacement, on the size of the non-homogeneous stress distribution is observed only in the case of the shear stress and von Mises stress. Also as the combined displacement angle increases, the size of the nonhomogeneous stress distribution decreases in the case of the shear stress and increases in the case of the von Mises stress. In addition, as the specimen shape factor, which is defined as the ratio of the specimen length to the height, increases, the size of the non-homogeneous stress distribution under combined displacement conditions decreases significantly.
Specimen Geometry;Sandwich Specimen;Combined Loads
Supported by : 울산대학교
- Shin, K. B., Lee, J. Y., Lee, S. J., 2007, “A Study on Low-Velocity Impact Characterization of Various Sandwich Panels for the Korean Low Floor Bus Application,” Transactions of the KSME (A), Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 506-516.
- Hong, S. T., Pan, J., Tyan, T. and Prasad, P., 2006, “Quasi-Static Crush Behavior of Aluminum Honeycombs Specimens Under Compression Dominant Combined Loads,” International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 22, pp. 73-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijplas.2005.02.002
- Arcan, M., Hashin, Z. and Voloshin, A., 1978, “A Method to Produce Uniform Plane-Stress States with Applications to Fiber-Reinforced Materials.” Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 18, pp. 141-146. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02324146
- Papka, S. D. and Kyriakides, S., 1999, “Biaxial Crushing of Honeycombs-Part I: Experiments,” Int. J Solids Struct., Vol. 36, pp. 4367-4396. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(98)00224-8
- Papka, S. D. and Kyriakides, S., 1999, “In-Plane Biaxial Crushing of Honeycombs-Part II: Analysis,” Int. J. Solids Struct., Vol. 36, pp. 4397-4423. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(98)00225-X
- Gioux, G., McCormack, T. M. and Gibson, L. J., 2000, “Failure of Aluminum Foams Under Multiaxial Loads,” Int. J. Mech. Sci., Vol. 42, pp. 1097–1117.
- Deshpande, V. S. and Fleck, N. A., 2001, “Multi-Axial Yield Behaviour of Polymer Foams,” Acta Mater., Vol. 49, pp. 1859-1866. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6454(01)00058-1
- Chen, C. and Fleck, N. A., 2001, “Size Effects in the Constrained Deformation of Metallic Foams,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol. 50, pp. 955-977.
- Gdoutos, E. E., Daniel, I. M. and Wang, K.-A., 2002, “Failure of Cellular Foams Under Multiaxial Loading,” Composites: Part A, Vol. 33, pp. 163-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-835X(01)00110-5
- Hong, S. T., Pan, J., Tyan, T. and Prasad, P., 2002, “Influence of Shear Loads on Crush of Honeycomb Materials,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0683, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Mohr, D. and Doyoyo, M., 2002, “Analysis of the Arcan Apparatus in the Clamped Configuration,” J. Compos. Mater., Vol. 36, pp. 2583-2594. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199802761405303
- Doyoyo, M. and Mohr, D., 2003, “Microstructural Response of Aluminum Honeycomb to Combined Outof-Pane Loading,” Mechanics of Materials, Vol. 35, pp. 865-876. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6636(02)00308-3
- Hong, S. T., Pan, J., Tyan, T. and Prasad, P., 2003, “Crush Strength of Aluminum 5052-H38 Honeycomb Materials Under Combined Compressive and Shear Loads,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0331, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, 2003.
- Mohr, D. and Doyoyo, M., 2003, “A New Method for the Biaxial Testing of Cellular Solids,” Experimental Mechanics,Vol. 43, pp. 173-182. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02410498
- Doyoyo, M. and Wierzbicki, T., 2003, “Experimental Studies on the Yield Behavior of Ductile and Brittle Aluminum Foams,” International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 19, pp. 1195-1214. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-6419(02)00017-7
- Mohr, D. and Doyoyo, M., 2004, “Experimental Investigation on the Plasticity of Hexagonal Aluminum Honeycomb Under Multiaxial Loading,” J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 71, pp. 375-385. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1683715
- Hong, S. T., Pan, J., Tyan, T. and Prasad, P., 2006, “Quasi-Static Crush Behavior of Aluminum Honeycomb Specimens Under Non-Proportional Compression-Dominant Combined Loads,” International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 22, pp. 1062-1088. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijplas.2005.07.003
- Hong, S. T., Pan, J., Tyan, T. and Prasad, P., 2008, “Dynamic Crush Behaviors of Aluminum Honeycomb Specimens Under Compression Dominant Inclined Loads,” International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 24, pp. 89-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijplas.2007.02.003
- O’Connor, D. J., 1989, ”A Comparison of Test Methods for Shear Properties of the Cores of Sandwich Constructions,” Journal of Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 17, pp. 214-246.
- Hong, S. T., Pan, J., Tyan, T. and Prasad, P., 2007, “A Comparision of Two Crush Test Methods for Honeycombs Under Compression and Shear,” Juornal of Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 36, pp. 1-7
- ASTM C 273-00, 2000. Standard test method for shear properties of sandwich core materials. ASTM, Philadelphia, PA.