- Volume 34 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study of Approximate Optimization Techniques in CAE-Based Structural Design
구조 최적설계를 위한 다양한 근사 최적화기법의 적용 및 비교에 관한 연구
- Song, Chang-Yong (Dept. of Ocean Engineering, Mokpo National Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jong-Soo (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei Univ.)
- Received : 2010.03.12
- Accepted : 2010.09.01
- Published : 2010.11.01
The comparative study of regression-model-based approximate optimization techniques used in the strength design of an automotive knuckle component that will be under bump and brake loading conditions is carried out. The design problem is formulated such that the cross-sectional sizing variables are determined by minimizing the weight of the knuckle component that is subjected to stresses, deformations, and vibration frequency constraints. The techniques used in the comparative study are sequential approximate optimization (SAO), sequential two-point diagonal quadratic approximate optimization (STDQAO), and approximate optimization based on enhanced moving least squares method (MLSM), such as CF (constraint feasible)-MLSM and Post-MLSM. Commercial process integration and design optimization (PIDO) tools are utilized for the application of SAO and STDQAO. The enhanced MLSM-based approximate optimization techniques are newly developed to ensure constraint feasibility. The results of the approximate optimization techniques are compared with those of actual non-approximate optimization to evaluate their numerical performances.
Sequential Approximate Optimization;Moving Least Squares Method;Constraint Feasibility;Process Integration and Design Optimization;CAE
- Crouse, H. W. and Anglin, L. D., 1993, Automotive Mechanics, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Song, C. Y. and Lee, J., 2009, "Strength Design of Knuckle Component Using Moving Least Squares Response Surface Based Approximate Optimization Methods," Proc. IMechE, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, Vol. 223, No. 8, pp. 1019-1032.
- Haftka, R. T. and Gürdal, Z., 1991, Elements of Structural Optimization, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- Park, Y. S. and Park, G. J., 1997, "A Development of Move Limit Strategy Based on the Accuracy of Approximation for Structural Optimization," Journal of KSME, Vol. 21, No. 8, pp. 1218-1228.
- Jacobs, J. H., Etman, L. F. P., van Keulen, F. and Rooda, J. E., 2004, "Framework for Sequential Approximate Optimization," Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 384-400.
- Kim, M. S., Kim, J. R. and Choi, D. H., 2001, "Design Optimization Using Two-Point Diagonal Quadratic Approximation," Journal of KSME, Vol. 25, No. 9, pp. 1423-1431.
- Kim, J. R. and Choi, D. H., 2008, "Enhanced Two-Point Diagonal Quadratic Approximation Methods for Design Optimization," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 197, No. 6-8, pp. 846-856. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2007.09.014
- Lancaster, P. and Salkauskas, K., 1996, Curve and Surface Fitting: An Introduction, Academic Press, New York.
- Song, C. Y. and Lee, J., 2009, "A Realization of Constraint Feasibility in a Moving Least Squares Response Surface Based Approximate Optimization," Computational Optimization and Applications, DOI 10.1007/s10589-009-9312-z. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10589-009-9312-z.
- iSIGHT User’s Manual, Version 9.0, Engineous Software Inc., 2006.
- PIAnO (Process Integration, Automation and Optimization) User’s Manual, Version 2.4, FRAMAX Inc., 2008.
- Myers, R. H. and Montgomery, D. C., 1995, Response Surface Methodology: Process and Product Optimization using Designed Experiments, Wiley, New York.
- ABAQUS User’s Manual Version 6.8, Dassault Systèmes, 2008.
- Simpson, T. W., Peplinkski, J., Koch, P. N. and Allen, J. K., 2001, "Metamodels for Computer Based Engineering Design: Survey and Recommendations," Engineering with Computers, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 129-150. https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00007198
- Box, G. E. P. and Wilson, K. B., 1951, "On the Experimental Attainment of Optimum Conditions," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Vol. 13, pp. 1-45.
- Zou, T., Mourelatos, Z. P., Mahadevan, J. and Tu, J., 2008, "An Indicator Response Surface Method for Simulation-Based Reliability Analysis," Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 130, No. 7, pp. 071401.1-11.
- Shin, Y., Lee, Y., Ryu, J. S. and Choi, D. H., 2005, "A Development of Move Limit Strategy Based on the Accuracy of Approximation for Structural Optimization," Journal of KSME, Vol. 21, No. 8, pp. 1218-1228.
- Sacks, J., Schiller, S. B. and Welch, W. J., 1989, "Designs for Computer Experiments," Statistical Science, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 409-423. https://doi.org/10.1214/ss/1177012413
- Kinematic Analysis of Levering Systems in Compound Bows vol.37, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.1.055
- Role of multi-response principal component analysis in reliability-based robust design optimization: an application to commercial vehicle design vol.58, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-018-1908-4