- Volume 34 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Drop Analysis of a Package and Cushion Performance of Drum Washing Machine
드럼 세탁기 포장재 낙하해석 및 완충 특성
- Kim, Chang-Sub (Samsung Electronics Digital Appliances Business R&D Team) ;
- Bae, Bong-Kook (Samsung Electronics CS Environment Center) ;
- Sung, Do-Young (Samsung Electronics Digital Appliances Business R&D Team)
- Received : 2010.05.13
- Accepted : 2010.08.17
- Published : 2010.11.01
The analysis of the dynamic behavior of the packaging of a drum washing machine has been carried out under the drop impact conditions. LS-DYNA software is used for performing the finite element analysis, and the validations are performed by comparing with the impact acceleration, effective stress and deformation of cushioned package with high-speed camera during free drop test. By analyzing the cushion characteristics and the design parameters of the original packaging, a packaging with an improved design is developed, and this design is validated on the basis of the results of the distribution test which consists of drop test, vibration test, stacking test, squeez test and so on. The drop impact simulation and analysis methods developed in this study can be adopted to successfully improve the cushioning provided by the packaging and to reduce the cost involved in developing new packaging for drum washing machines.
Drop Impact;EPS(Expanded Polystyrene);Cushioned Package;Drum Washing Machine
- Chung, W., J., Boo, S., W., Chun, S., P. and Kim, D. C., 1995, “Impact Analysis of Electronic,” Trans. of the KSME, Vol. 35, No.8, pp.678-690
- Kang, E., 1998, “Application of CAE in Samsung Electronics Co.,” Journal of the KSME, Vol. 38, No. 6 pp. 65-68.
- Kim, H. B. L., Park, S. H. and Kim, W. J., 2000, “A Study on the Cushion Package Design of a Monitor using Finite Element,” Journal of KSPE, Vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 88-93.
- Kim, C. S., Na, J. M., Kim, J. H. and Chung, H. S., 2001, "Drop Analysis of Micro Wave Machine with IDEAS and LS-DYNA," Technical Paper, Samsung Electronics.
- Kim, W. J., Lee, B. Y. and Son, B. S., 2009, “Drop-Impact Analysis and Design of a Package of a Microwave Oven,” Trans. of the KSME(A), Vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 536-543.
- Jose, M. R. and Mahesh, P., 2009, “Using Computer Aided Engineering Processes in Packaging design development,” ISTA 2009 International Transport Packaging Forum.
- Kim, J. G., Lee, J. Y. and Lee, S. Y., 2001, “Drop/Impact Simulation and Experimental Verification of Mobile Phone,” Trans. of the KSME(A), Vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 695-702.
- Root, D., 1997, “6 Step Method for Cushioned Package Design”, Lansmont corporation
- Seok, K. Y., Yoon, K. W., Na, J. M. and Park, C. B., 2004, “Analysis of Package Drop and its Application for Optical Disc Drives,” Trans. of the KSNVE, Vol. 2004, pp. 177-182.
- Yi, J. W., Ha, D. Y., Lee, S. W., Lim, J. M. and Park, G. J., 2003, “Development of Design System for EPS Cushioning Package of Monitor using Axiomatic Design,” Trans. of the KSME(A), Vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1644-1652.
- LSTC, 1998, “LS/DYNA User’s Manual,” ver. 950, California.
- Optimization of the Television Packing System Using Equivalent Static Loads vol.39, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.3.311