- Volume 10 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Impacts of Newspaper Contents Producers' Role Stress and Burnout on Their Job Satisfaction
뉴스콘텐츠 제작자들의 역할스트레스와 심리적 탈진감이 직무만족에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2010.09.27
- Accepted : 2010.10.25
- Published : 2010.10.28
The purpose of this study is to examine the impacts of newspaper contents producers' role stress and burnout on their job satisfaction. For this, a survey was performed, of which the subjects were selected out of a great number of journalists employed in several newspapers. Finally, a total of 229 completed questionnaires were used for statistical inspections, such as correlation analysis and multivariate regression analysis. The results of this study can be summarized as follows: First, it is demonstrated that, the more stress journalists have with respect to role ambiguity, repetitive duties, and role conflict, which are three of the four factors causing role stress, they are less likely to have job satisfaction. However, role overload, the remaining factor of role stress, is shown to have nothing to do with job satisfaction despite it actually causes job stress most. Also, it is ascertained that role ambiguity among the aforementioned four factors of job stress has the most positive effect on job satisfaction in comparison. Second, burnout is shown to have negative correlation with job satisfaction. That is, it is identified that, the more burnout such as emotional exhaustions, depersonalization, and depreciation of personal accomplishment journalists perceive, they are less likely to have job satisfaction. In addition, it is become clear that depreciation of personal accomplishment, among the factors of burnout, has the strongest impact on job satisfaction.
Role Stress;Burnout;Job Satisfaction
- 이명하, "임상간호사의 역할스트레스, 조직몰입, 직무몰입의 관계", 대한간호학회지, 제26권, 제2 호, 1996.
- 박석돈, 정상훈, 김은숙, "직업재활전문인력의 직무만족에 관한 조사연구", 재활심리연구, 제8권, 제2호, pp.209-227, 2001.
- L. A. Bergen and D. Weaver, "Job satisfaction of daily newspaper journalists and organization size," Newspaper Research Journal, Vol.9, pp.1-13, 1998.
- K. Stamm and D. Underwood, "The relationship of job satisfaction to newsroom policy changes," Journalism Quarterly, Vol.70, pp.528-541, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769909307000305
- 한국언론재단, 전국언론인명록 2008/2009, 서울: 한국언론재단, 2008.
- 경향신문, 2007. 7. 6.
- C. L. Cooper, P. J. Dewe, and M. P. O'Driscoll, Organizational stress: A review and critique of theory, research and applications, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2001.
- S. Agarwal and S. Vyas, "Role of individual cultural orientations on relationships between role stress and work outcomes," Journal of Asia-Pacific Business, Vol.1, No.3, pp.39-56, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1300/J098v01n03_03
- 김병섭, "심리적 탈진감 척도와 구성적 타당성", 한국행정학보, 제24권, 제3호, pp.1455-1474, 1990.
- C. Maslach and M. P. Leiter, The truth about burnout, SanFrancisco: Jossey-Bass, 1997.
- R. R. Bently and A. M Rempel, Manual for the Purdue Teacher Opinionnaire, Indiana: University Book store, 1970.
- E. J. McCormick and J. Tiffin, Industrial Psychology Englewood Cliffs, New york?, Prentice Hall, 1974.
- E. A. Locke, "The Nature and Causes of Job Dissatisfaction," in M. D. Dunnette Rand Mcnall, Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 1976.
- R. Lichtenstein, "Measuring the Job satisfaction of physician in organized setting," Medical Care, Vol.22, No.1, pp.56-68, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-198401000-00005
- G. Wang and L. Peggy, "Psychological empowerment and job satisfaction: An analysis of interactive effects," Group & Organization Management, Vol.34, No.3, pp.271-296, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601108330089
- J. Conger and R, Kanungo, "The empowerment process: intergrating theory and practice," Academy of Management Review, Vol.13, No.3, pp.471-482, 1988. https://doi.org/10.2307/258093
- K. R. Charles and L. H. Marshall, "Motivational preferences of caribbean hotel workers: An exploratory study," International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol.4, No.3, pp.25-29, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596119210014237
- S. L. Cordes and T. W. Dougherty, "A review and an integration of research on job burnout," Academy of Review, Vol.18, pp.621-656, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/258593
- D. Katz and R. L. Kahn, The social psychology of organizations, New York: Hohn Wiley and Sons, 1978.
- R. House and J. Rizzo, "Role conflict and Ambiguaty as Critical Variables in a Model of Organizational Behavior," Organizational behavior and Human Performance, Vol.7, No.3, pp.467-505, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(72)90030-X
- 최해진, 권혁기, "종업원의 직무스트레스가 직무 태도에 미치는 영향-건설업종을 중심으로", 대한경영학회지, 제21권, 제4호, pp.1723-1749, 2008.
- P. E. Spector, Job satisfaction: Application, assessment and consequences, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 1997.
- R. D. Caplan and K. W. Jones, "Effects of work load, role ambiguity and type A personality on anxiety, depression and heart rate," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.60, No.1, pp.98-112, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.60.6.713
- 하동현, 김정선, "호텔 종사원의 직무착근도와 역할스트레스원이 직무만족, 조직몰입 및 이직의도에 미치는 영향", 관광연구, 제24권, 제6호, pp.173-191, 2010.
- 황선진, 정미영, 송기은, "의류판매원의 역할모호성 및 역할갈등이 직무만족과 고객지향성에 미치는 영향, 생활과학, 제10호, pp.63-78, 2007.
- 전재균, 김천서, "역할갈등, 역할모호성이 직무 성과 및 직무만족에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구: 패밀리레스토랑 종업원을 중심으로", 관광연구, 제17권, 제1호, pp.55-71, 2002.
- J. V. Hickey, "How to reduce stress and avoid burnout," Nursing, Vol.85, No.7, pp.78-89, 1985.
- C. Maslach and S. E. Jackson, "The measurement of experienced burnout," Journal of Occupational Behavior, Vol.2, pp.137-150, 1981.
- B. M. Byrne, "Burnout: testing for the vlidity, replication, and invariance of causal structure across elementary, intermediate, and secondary teachers," Administrative Education Research Jornal, Vol.31, pp.645-673, 1994.
- R. Schwarzer, G. S. Schmitz, and C. Tang, "Teacher burnout in Hong Kong and Grmany: Across-cultural validation of the Maslach burnout inventory," Anxiety, Stress, and Coping, Vol.13, pp.309-326, 2000.
- C. Baruch-Feldman and J. Schwartz, "Sources of social support and burnout, job satisfaction, and productivity," Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol.7, pp.84-93, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89188.8.131.52
- S. Reinardy, "It's gametime: The Maslach burnout inventory measures burnout of sports journalists," Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, Vol.83, pp.397-402, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769900608300211
- 박재희, "호텔종사원의 직무스트레스에 따른 소진이 직무만족 및 이직의도에 미치는 영향", 호텔리조트연구, 제8권, 제2호, pp.137-154, 2009.
- 이동명, 임정연, "항공사 객실 승무원의 직무만족과 소진의 관련성", 한국항공운항학회지, 제16 권, 제3호, pp.31-37, 2008.
- 구본기, 조희정, "항공사 종사자의 역할스트레스가 감정고갈에 미치는 영향 연구", 대한관광경영학회지, 제22권, 제4호, pp.357-375, 2008.
- W. G. Tymon, An Empirical Investigation of a Cognitive Model of Empowerment, Temple University, 1988.