- Volume 10 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Relation of Physical Activity and Health-related Quality of Life in Korean Elderly
한국 노인의 신체활동과 건강관련 삶의 질의 관계
- 배상열 (조선대학교 대학원 보건학과) ;
- 고대식 (조선대학교 대학원 보건학과) ;
- 노지숙 (조선대학교 대학원 보건학과) ;
- 이병훈 (조선대학교 대학원 보건학과) ;
- 박형수 (조선대학교 대학원 의학과 예방의학) ;
- 박종 (조선대학교 의과대학 예방의학교실)
- Received : 2010.08.24
- Accepted : 2010.09.28
- Published : 2010.10.28
This study aims to discover the relations between physical activities of the elderly and their health-related quality of life. For the study, it targeted 720 of the 778 elderly persons whose ages were above 65 for a final analysis except 58 whose physical activities and health-related quality of life could not be evaluated from the data of the first year of the 4th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES IV-1), 2007. As a result, it was discovered that there were significant differences in the elderly's health-related quality of life according to age, education, sleeping hours, stress, the number of chronic diseases and subjective awareness of health. In particular, there were significant differences in their health-related quality of life between the group with high physical activity level and the group with low physical activity level. Based on the results above, it is suggested that the persons with higher performance ability of physical activities can have higher quality of living along with increase of energy and further studies dealing with more factors, ranges and periods are needed.
Korean Elderly;Physical Activity;Health-Related Quality of Life
- 2008 OECD 건강데이타, 보건복지가족부, 2008.
- 배주환, 이혜경, 김한수, 오현주, "시설노인과 재가노인의 일상생활활동, 정신건강상태, 생활만족도 비교분석", 대한물리치료학회, Vol.20, No.2, pp.33-41, 2008.
- J. Schlicht, D. N. Camaione, and S. V. Owen, "Effect of intense strength training on standing balance, walking speed, and sit-to-stand performance in older adults," J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, Vol.56, No.5, pp.281-286, 2001.
- W. R. Frontera, V. A. Hughes, R. A. Fielding, M. A. Fiatarone, W. J. Evans, and R. Roubenoff, "Aging of skeletal muscle: a 12-yr longitudinal study," J Appl Physiol, Vol.88, No.4, pp.1321-1326, 2000.
- F. H. Jr. Brennan, "Exercise prescriptions for activity seniors; a team approach for maximizing adherence," Phys SportsMed, Vol.30, No.2. pp.19-29, 2002.
- B. Gallagher, E. Corbett, L. Freeman, A. Riddoch-Kennedy, S. Miller, C. Smith, L. Radensky & A. Zarrow, "A fall prevention program for the home environment," Home Care Provid, Vol.6, No.5, pp157-163, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1067/mhc.2001.119263
- S. R. Lord, S. M. Murray, K. Chapman, B. Munro, and A. Tiedemann, "Sit-to-Stand performance depends on sensation, speed, balance and psychological status in addition to strength in older people," J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, Vol.57, No.8, pp.539-543, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/57.8.M539
- D. C. Kerrigan, M. K. Todd, U. Della Croce, L. A. Lipsitz, and J. J. Colllins, "Biomechanical gait alteration independent of speed in the healthy elderly: Evidence for specific limiting impairments," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.79, No.3, pp.317-322, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(98)90013-2
- J. W. Rowe and R. L. Kahn, "Human aging: Usual and Successful, Science," Vol.237, No.4811, pp.143-149, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.3299702
- 차준태, 지용석, "규칙적인 운동이 노인의 심혈 관계 기능과 우울증에 미치는 영향", 한국체육학회지, Vol.43, No.5, pp.331-340, 2004.
- ACSM, "Guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. 6th ed," Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2000.
- A. S. Nalin and A. F. Maria, "Exercise and Depression in the older Adult," Nutr Clin Care, Vol.3, No.4, pp197-208, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5408.2000.00052.x
- B. Spilker and D. A. Revicki, "Taxonomy of quality of life. In: Spilker B, editor, Quality of life and pharmacoeconomics in clinical trails. 2nd ed," 25-31, Philadelphia, Lippincott-Raven, 1996.
- M. A. Testa and D. C, Simonson, "Assessment of quality of life outcome," N Engl J Med, Vol.334, No.13, pp835-840, 1996.
- S. D. Barnett and L. S. Halpin, "Functional status improvement in elderly following coronary artery bypass graft," J Nurs Care Qual, Vol.18, No.4. pp281-287, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001786-200310000-00006
- 한미아, 류소연, 박종, 강명근, 박종구, 김기순, "일부 농촌지역 성인에서 EQ-5D를 이용한 건강 관련 삶의 질", 예방의학회지, Vol.41, No.3, pp.173-180, 2008.
- K. Burstrom, M. Johannesson, and F. Diderichsen, "Swedish population health-related quality of life results using the EQ-5D," Qual Life Res, Vol.10, No.7. pp.621-635, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013171831202
- N. A. Singh, K. M. Clements, and M. A. Fiatarone, "A randomized controlled trial of progressive resistance training in depressed elders," J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, Vol.52, No.1, pp.27-35, 1997.
- J. E. Abell, J. M. Hootman, M. M. Zack, D. Moriarty, and C. G. Helmick, "Physical activity and health related quality of life among people with arthritis," J Epidemiol Community Health, Vol.59, No.5, pp380-385, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2004.028068
- X. Liu, Y. D. Miller, N. W. Burton, and W. J. Brown, "A preliminary study of the effects of Tai Chi and Qigong medical exercise on indicators of metabolic syndrome, glycaemic control, health related quality of life, and psychological health in adults with elevated blood glucose," Br J Sports Med, doi:10.1136/bjsm2008.051144. Accessed at http://bjsm.bmj.com, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm2008.051144
- K. J. Stewart, A. C. Bacher, K. Turner, J. G. Lim, P. S. Hees, E. P. Shapiro, M. Tayback, and P. Ouyang, "Exercise and risk factors associated with metabolic syndrome in older adults," Am J Prev Med, Vol.28, No.1, pp.9-18, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.09.006
- A. Shibata, K. Oka, Y. Nakamura, and I. Muraoka, "Recommended level of physical activity and health-related quality of life among Japanese adults," Health Qual Life Outcomes, 5:64. doi: 10.1186/1477-7525-5-64, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-5-64
- A. Lobo, P. Santos, J. Carvalho, and J. Mota, "Relationship between intensity of physical activity and health-related quality of life in Portuguese institutionalized elderly," Geriatr Gerontol Int, Vol.8, No.4, pp.284-290, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1447-0594.2008.00478.x
- 장은정, 김희승, "운동요법이 혈액투석 환자의 체력과 건강관련 삶의 질에 미치는 효과", 대한간호학회지, Vol.39, No.4. pp.584-593, 2009.
- 신진희, 강성구, 김민정, 황유나, 송상욱, "규칙적인 유산소 운동이 대사증후군 환자의 건강관련 삶의 질에 미치는 효과", 대한비만학회지, Vol.17, No.4. pp.182-187, 2008.
- 김용국, 강유석, "지체장애인의 운동참가유형에 따른 신체적 자기개념과 건강관련 삶의 질 관계", 한국사회체육학회지, Vol.36, No.2, pp.573-582, 2009.
- 질병관리본부, "국민건강영양조사 원시자료 이용지침서 제4기 1차년도", 서울, 질병관리본부, 2007.
- M. H. Kim, Y. S. Cho, W. S. Uhm, S. H. Kim, and S. C. Bae, "Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the Korean version of the EQ-5D in patients with rheumatic diseases," Qual Life Res, Vol.14, No.5, pp1401-1406, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-004-5681-z
- 강은정, 신호성, 박혜자, 조민우, 김나연, "EQ-5D 를 이용한 건강수준의 가치 평가", 보건경제와 정책연구, Vol.12, No.2, pp.19-43, 2006.
- B. E. Ainsworth, W. L. Haskell, M. C. Whitt, M. L. Irwin, A. Z. Swarts, S. J. Strath, W. L. O′Brien, D. R. Jr Bassett, K. H. Schmitz, P. O. Emplaincourt, D. R. Jr Jacobs & A. S. Leon, "Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities," Med Sci Sports Exerc, Vol.32, No.9, pp.498-516, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200009001-00009
- M. J. Calvert and N. Freemantle, "Use of health-related quality of life in prescribing research, Part 1: why evaluate health-related quality of life?", J Clin Pharm Ther, Vol.28, No.6. pp.513-521, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0269-4727.2003.00521.x
- J. E. Brazier, R. Harper, N. M. Jones, A. O`Cathain, K. J. Thomas, T. Usherwood, and L. Westlake, "Validating the SF-36 health survey questionnaire: New outcome measure for primary care," BMJ, Vol.305, No.6846, pp.160-164, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.305.6846.160
- M. L. Matteson and E. S. McConell, "Gerontological Nursing, Concepts and Practice," W. B. Saunders Co. Philadelphia, 1988.
- ACSM, "ACSM`s resource manual for guidelines for exercise testing and prescription(3rd ed)," Philadelphia : Williams & Wilins, A Waverly Company, 1998.
- A. Daskapan, E. H. Tuzun, and L. Eker, "Relationship between physical activity level and health related quality of life among university students," Saudi Med J, Vol.26, No.6. pp.1026-1028, 2005.
- E. Atlantis, C. M. Chow, A. Kirby, and M. F. Singh, "An effective exercise-based intervention for improving mental health and quality of life measures: a randomized controlled trail," Prev Med, Vol.39, No.2. pp.424-434, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.02.007
- M. T. Richardson, B. E. Ainsworth, H. C. Wu, D. R. Jr. Jacobs, and A. S. Leon, "Ability of the atherosclerosis risk in communities(ARIC)/ Baecke Questionnaire to assess leisure-time physical activity," Int J Epidemiol, Vol.24, No.4, pp.685-693, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/24.4.685
- T. T. Baker, D. Allen, K. Y. Lei, and K. K. Willcox, "Alteration in lipid and protein profiles of plasma lipoproteins in middle aged men consequent to an aerobic exercise program," Metabolism, Vol.35, No.11. pp.1037-1043, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(86)90040-5
- ACSM, "American College of Sports Medicine Position Stand: Physical activity and bone health," Med Sci Sports Exerc, Vol.36, No.11, pp.1985-1996, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.MSS.0000142662.21767.58
- J. J. Keysor and A. M. Jette, "Have we oversold the benefit of late-life exercise?", J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, Vol.56, No7. pp.412-423, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/56.7.M412
- D. Rai and H. Finch, "Physical activity from our point of view: Quality research among South Asian and Black Communities," London: Health Education Authority, 1997.
- 이순영, 서일, "주요 건강실천행위가 건강수준에 미치는 영향", 한국역학회지, Vol.17, No.1, pp.48-63, 1995.
- 권중돈, 조주연, "노년기의 삶의 만족도에 영향을 미치는 요인", 한국노년학회, Vol.20, No.34, pp.61-76, 2000.
- 고승덕, 조숙행, "노인의 삶의 질 향상을 위한 요인 추출", 한국노년학회, Vol.17, No.2, pp.17-36, 1997.
- Effects of a Transtheoretical Model Based Exercise Behavior Improving Program on Blood Pressure and Physical Activity for Older Adults with Hypertension vol.11, pp.12, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.12.364
- Factors Affecting the Mental Health of the Aged in Korea vol.12, pp.12, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.12.672
- Well-Being Levels and Well-Being Behavior, and Its Related Factors Among Women in Daegu City vol.13, pp.7, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.7.3065
- Relationship between Low Back Pain and Health-Related Quality of Life among Some Elderly vol.37, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2012.37.3.156
- Comparison of subjective health condition and subjective oral health condition of the elderly in Gumi vol.13, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.685
- Assessment of Basic Physical Activity for Elderly Women in Long-Term Care Facilities vol.14, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.346
- A Study on Social Efficacy of Senior Citizens in Welfare Centers in Some Areas according to Their Subjective Oral Health and Their Quality of Life related to Oral Health vol.15, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.2.1000
- The Factors Influencing Health-Related Quality of Life in the Elderly: Focused on the General Characteristics, Health Habits, Mental Health, Chronic Diseases, and Nutrient Intake Status: Data from the Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V), 2010~2012 vol.19, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2014.19.5.479
- Leisure Activity Participation as Predictor of Quality of Life in Korean Urban-dwelling Elderly vol.21, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1002/oti.1371
- Impact of Factors on community-level health-related Quality of Life: Community Unit Analysis vol.15, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.01.276
- Relationship Between the Physical Activity Levels and Health Care Utilization in Korean Elderly vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.617
- Effects of the Brain waves according to participation in Therapeutic recreation programs on the Depression, Sleep Disturbance and Quality of Life in the Elderly with Dementia vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5096
- The Relationships among Quality of Life and Stress, Health-related Habits and Food Intake in Korean Healthy Adults Based on 2013 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey vol.20, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2015.20.6.411
- Factors Influencing Physical Activity in Elderly Women at Senior Citizen Centers vol.22, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.3.236
- Effects of Health Status and Health Management on Activities of Daily Living among Urban-Dwelling Older Koreans vol.22, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.1.72
- The Effects of Health Behavior and Health Status on Heath-related Quality of Life in Older People: Gender Analysis by using the 2012 Korea Health Panel Data vol.28, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2017.28.2.118
- A Comparison of Characteristics between Success Group and Failure Group of 1-year Continuous Smoking Abstinence in Young Adult and Middle-aged Male Workers: with Focus on the First-year Analysis of Korean Cross-sectional Survey vol.27, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2016.27.2.95