- Volume 10 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
American Presidential Candidates' Self-Reliance Spirit and Voters' Evaluations of Their Personal Traits
미국 대통령 후보자의 자립정신과 인격적 특성에 대한 유권자 평가
- 김창남 (경희대학교 언론정보대학원)
- Received : 2010.09.28
- Accepted : 2010.10.25
- Published : 2010.10.28
In the United States, a marked emphasis on personal achievement has been among enduring values characterizing American culture from the beginning of the republic. Particularly, Americans have attached great value to the spirit of self-reliance in striving for personal achievement. However, there have been few empirical studies focusing on the effects of Americans' self-reliant spirit on American electoral politics. Through a field experimentation focusing on the voters of Portage County in Ohio, this study examined the effects of Americans' self-reliant spirit on the evaluations of presidential candidates' personal traits, which constitute the candidates' character. The results of this study demonstrated that American voters evaluated those presidential candidates who were described as self-reliant significantly more favorably than the presidential candidates who were not so described, for 8 out of the 11 personal traits. The findings provide meaningful evidence for ascertaining the potential and legitimacy of the influences of the spirit of self-reliance, in the American society including electoral politics.
the Spirit of Self-reliance;Personal Achievement;Cultural Values;Electoral Politics;Personal Traits;American Presidential Candidates;Voters' Evaluations
- 김창남, "미국인의 종교성이 정치생활에 미친 영향에 대한 연구", 미국학논집, 제38집, 제3호, pp.63-89, 2006.
- 김창남, "미국 대통령 후보자의 종교성과 유권자 평가", 대한정치학회보, 제14집, 제3호, pp.215-238, 2007.
- 이영준, 분산분석의 이해, 석정, 2000.
- "Americans Assess Opportunity," Public Opinion, Vol.5, No.3, pp.21-26, 1982.
- American Public Opinion Index, Opinion Research Service, 1982-1989.
- Arvid Brodersen, "Themes in the Interpretation of America by Prominent Visitors from Abroad," The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, Vol.295, pp.21-32, 1954. https://doi.org/10.1177/000271625429500104
- James David Barber, Political Leadership in American Government, Little, Brown and Company, 1964.
- Robert Bellah, Richard Madsen, William M. Sullivan, Ann Swidler, and Steven M. Tipton, Habits of the Heart: Individualism and Commitment in American Life, University of California Press, 1985.
- Peter Blau and Otis Dudley Duncan, American Occupational Structure, John Wiley, 1967.
- Steven R. Brown and Lawrence E. Melamed, Experimental Design and Analysis, Sage Publications, 1990.
- James Bryce, The American Commonwealth, Vol.2, Macmillan, 1923.
- John G. Cawelti, Apostles of the Self-Made Man, University of Chicago Press, 1965.
- Center for Political Studies, The CPS 1976 American National Election Studies, University of Michigan, 1976.
- Dennis V. Donoghue,"Appraising Presidential Contenders During the Misty Period," Presidential Studies Quarterly, Vol.82, pp.721-735, 1988.
- Robert S. Erikson, Norman R. Luttbeg, and Kent L. Tedin, American Public Opinion: Its Origins, Content, and Impact, 3rd ed., Macmillan, 1988.
- Otis Dudley Duncan, "The Trend of Occupational Mobility in the United States," American Sociological Review, Vol.30, pp.491-498, 1965. https://doi.org/10.2307/2091339
- Edward W. Emerson, ed., The Complete Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, 12 Vols., Houghton Mifflin, 1904.
- George, Jr. Gallup, and Jim Castelli, The People's Religion: American Faith in the 90's, Macmillan, 1989.
- John C. Green and James L. Guth,"The Bible and the Ballot Box: The Shape of Things to Come," In James L. Guth and John C. Green, eds., The Bible and the Ballot Box: Religion and Politics in the 1988 Election, pp.207-225, Westview Press, 1991.
- Robert M. Hauser and David L. Featherman, "Trends in the Occupational Mobility of U.S. Men, 1962-1972," American Sociological Review, Vol.38, pp.302-310, 1973. https://doi.org/10.2307/2094354
- Robert M. Hauser, and David L. Featherman, "Socioeconomic Achievements of U.S. Men, 1962-1972," Science, Vol.185, pp.325-331, 1974a. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.185.4148.325
- Robert M. Hauser, and David L. Featherman, "White-nonwhite Differentials in Occupational Mobility Among Men in the United States, 1962-1972," Demography, Vol.11, pp.247-265, 1974b. https://doi.org/10.2307/2060562
- Robert M. Hauser, John N. Koffel, Harry P. Travis, and Peter J. Dickinson, "Temporal Change in Occupational Mobility: Evidence for Men in the United States," American Sociological Review, Vol.40, pp.279-297, 1975. https://doi.org/10.2307/2094459
- Chang N. Kim, Political Candidates' Cultural Values in Voters' Evaluations: Religiosity, Self-Reliance, and Voluntarism in the Unites States, Doctoral Dissertation, Kent State University, 1995.
- David C. Leege, "Religion and Politics in Theoretical Perspective," In David C. Leege and Lyman A. Kellstedt, eds., Rediscovering the Religious Factor in American Politics, pp.3-25, M. E. Sharpe, Inc, 1993.
- Seymour Martin Lipset, The First New Nation: The United States in Historical and Comparative Perspective, Basic Books, Inc, 1963.
- David C. McClelland, The Achieving Society, D. Van Nostrand, Inc., 1961.
- Michael McGiffert ed, The Character of Americans, Dorsey Press, 1964.
- Herbert McClosky and Zaller John, The American Ethos: Public Attitudes toward Capitalism and Democracy, Harvard University Press, 1984.
- Perry Miller, The New England Mind, Harvard University Press, 1963.
- Saul K. Padover, ed., The Complete Jefferson, Duell, Sloan and Pearce, 1943.
- "Raising Children in a Changing Society," The General Mills American Family Report 1976-1977, Yankelovich, Skelly and White, Inc., 1977.
- Bernard C. Rosen, Harry J. Crockett, and Clyde Z. Nunn, eds., Achievement in American Society, Schenkman Publishing Company, 1969.
- U. S. Census Bureau. 2000 Census of Population and Housing of the United States, U.S. Census Bureau Public Information Office, May, 2001.
- Ruth Hill Useem, John Useem, "Image of the United States and British Held by Foreign Educated Indians," Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Studies, Vol.295, pp.73-82, 1954. https://doi.org/10.1177/000271625429500109
- Kenneth D. Wald, Religion and Politics in the United States, St. Martin's Press, 1992.
- Max Weber, The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, Talcott Parsons, trans., Scribner's, 1958.
- Dixon Wecter, The Hero in America, Scribner's, 1941.
- Rupert Wilkinson, The Pursuit of American Character, Harper & Row, Publishers, 1988.
- Robin M. Jr. Williams, American Society: A Sociological Interpretation, Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., 1970.
- Floris W. Wood ed., An American Profile-Opinions and Behavior, 1972-1989, Gale Research Inc., 1990.
- Daniel Yankelovich, New Rules: Searching for Self-Fulfillment in a World Turned Upside Down, Random House, 1981.
- Saul K. Padover, ed., The Complete Jefferson. Duell, Sloan and Pearce, 1943.