- Volume 12 Issue 2
Toward Developing An Enterprise Architecture Orientation Model: Mapping the Present and Future Enterprise Architecture from the Alignment and Integration Perspective
엔터프라이즈 아키텍처 지향 모델 개발: 연계와 통합 관점에서 본 엔터프라이즈 현재와 미래 아키텍처 사상
- Son, Jeong-Son (The Graduate School of Business Information Technology, Kookmin University) ;
- Juhn, Sung-Hyun (The Graduate School of Business Information Technology, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2010.03.17
- Accepted : 2010.06.15
- Published : 2010.08.31
Most enterprise information systems today are silo systems in that they are not properly aligned nor integrated with one another. Such silo systems result because enterprises lack an architectural perspective in the planning and development of the systems. This paper proposes an Enterprise Architecture Orientation Model as a framework for the analysis, planning and design of the architectural quality of enterprise information systems. The model decomposes enterprise architecture into two dimensions-alignment and integration, and specifies for each dimension the general development and evolution stages enterprises may traverse. The alignment dimension represents the vertical strategic alignment of the systems with the vision, mission, strategy and goals of the enterprise, and is analyzed in terms of the performance, capability, and strategy of the enterprise. The integration dimension, on the other hand, represents the horizontal and functional integration among the systems that span organizational functions and boundaries, and is analyzed in terms of such technological components as IT infrastructure, data, application, and business processes. The model combines the alignment and integration dimensions to form a two-dimensional conceptual space for mapping the architectural quality of the enterprise. It is proposed that an enterprise use the model to identify and understand its position now and in the future in the architectural quality of the enterprise information systems. It is also proposed that the model provides a tool for the planning and design of the transition from one stage to the next in the alignment and integration of the systems to reach an architectural maturity. At the end, the paper discusses how the model can be applied differently according to the strategic orientation of the enterprise. An example of the usage of the model is presented.
Supported by : 국민대학교
- 디지털타임스, "EA와 ISP 통합 필요성 (http://www.dt.co.kr/contents.htm?article_no = 200908170 2012369600001 )", 2009.
- 박동준, "EA 성과제고를 위한 엔터프라이즈 戰略 아키텍처의 설계에 관한 硏究", 박사학위 논문, 국민대학교 비즈니스IT전문대학원, 2009.
- 신동익, "정보기술아키텍쳐 기반의 정보기술 관리", Information Systems Review, 제4권, 제2호, December 2002.
- 염지환, "정보기술전략과 정보기술아키텍쳐: 설명적 상황이론 프레임워크", Information Systems Review, 제4권, 제2호, December 2002.
- 이태공, 이길섭, "전사적 아키텍처 기반 전사적 정렬 모델(An Enterprise Alignment Model based on Enterprise Architecture)", 한국전자거래학회지, 제9권, 제3호, 2004, pp. 113-128.
- 전성현, "엔터프라이즈 아키텍처와 아키텍처 기반경영", Journal of Information Technology and Architecture, 제3권, 제2호, 2006, p. 30.
- 전성현, "EA에 대한 상황적 이해", Journal of Information Technology and Architecture, 제5권, 제1호, 2008.
- 전성현, "엔터프라이즈 IT와 경쟁력", 정보기술 연구(The Journal of Information Technology Research), 제14권, 2008.
- 조항정, 송찬후, 한승헌, "IT 통합의 결정 요인과 과정: 국내 대기업들에 대한 사례 연구", Infornation Systems Review, 제10권, 제3호, December 2008.
- Gresov, C., "Exploring Fit and Misfit with MuItiple Contingencies", Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.34, No.3, Sep., 1989, pp. 431-453. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393152
- Hagel, J. and M. Singer, "Unbundling the corporation", Harvard Business Review, March-April 1999, pp. 133-41
- Henderson, J. C. and N. Venkatraman, "Strategic alignment: Leveraging information technology for transforming organizations", IBM Systems Journal, Vo1.32, No.1, 1993, pp. 4-16.
- Kaplan, R. S. and D. P. Norton, "The Balanced Scorecard-Measures that Drive Performance", Harvard Business Review, Feb. 1992.
- Kaplan, R. S. and D. P. Norton, The Strategy-Focused Organization: How Balanced Scorecard Companies Thrive in the New Competitive Environment, Harvard Business School Press, 2000.
- Kaplan, R. S. and D. P. Norton, Strategy Maps: Convening Intangible Assets into Tangible Outcomes, Harvard Business School Press, 2004.
- Kaplan, R. S. and D. P. Norton, Alignment: Using The Balanced Scorecard to Create Corporate Synergies, Harvard Business School Press, 2006
- Kathuria, R., M. P. Joshi, and S. J. Porth, "Organizational alignment and performance: past, present and future", Management decision: quarterly review of management technology, Vol.45, No.3, 2007, pp. 503-517. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251740710745106
- King, W. R., "Strategic Planning for Management Information Systems", MIS Quarterly, Vol.2, No.1, Mar., 1978, pp. 27-37. https://doi.org/10.2307/249104
- Reich, B. H., "Measuring the Linkage between Business and Information Technology Objec-tives", MIS Quarterly, Vol.20, No.1, 1996, pp. 55-81. https://doi.org/10.2307/249542
- Ross, J. W., "Creating a Strategic IT Architecture Competency: Learning in Stages", MIT Sloan CISR Working Paper 335, April 2003.
- Ross, J. W., P. Weill, and D. C. Robertson, Enterprise Architecture as Strategy, Harvard Business School Press, 2006.
- Sambamurthy, V. and R. W. Zmud, "Arrangements for Information Technology Governance: A Theory of Multiple Contingencies", MIS Quarterly, Vol.23, No.2, 1999, pp. 261-290.`ov https://doi.org/10.2307/249754
- Simon, H. A., The Science of the Artificial, 2nd ed., MIT Press, 1981.
- Teo, S. H. and W. R. King, "Assessing the Impact of Integrating Business planning and IS planning", Information and Management, Vol.30, 1996, pp. 309-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7206(96)01076-2
- Weill, P. and M. H. Olsen, "An Assessment of the Contingency Theory of MIS", Center for Research on lnformation Systems Area, Working Paper Series(STERN# IS-87-31), April 1987.
- Weill, P., M. McDonald, and M. Broadbent, "IT Governance and Strategic Drivers-Agility, Synergy, Autonomy", CISR Research Briefing, Vol.IV, No.2A, July 2004.
- Zachman, J. A., "A Framework for Inforamtion Systems Architecture", IBM Systems Journal, Vol.26, No.3, 1987.
- OMB Memorandum, "M-97-16 MEMORANDUM FOR THE HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES(http://www.white house.gov/omb/memoranda_m97 -16/)", June 1997.