- Volume 14 Issue 4
This paper deals with the sealing mechanism of the gasket component and the effects of design parameters for the exhaust manifold. The finite element model includes hot-end exhaust system and a simplified gasket model supplied by ABAQUS software. The mechanical behaviors of bead and body of a gasket are measured after several times of cyclic loads by gasket supplier. From the finite element analysis due to the cyclic thermal loads, the flange of exhaust manifold shows thermal expansion and contraction in longitudinal direction as well as convex and concave deformations with respect to the engine cylinder head. And, the contact pressures of the gasket beads suddenly changes by normal deformation of inlet flanges. Therefore, the magnitudes of contact pressures could be used to determine the sealing characteristics of the exhaust gas in the exhaust system. The distributions of contact pressures in gasket bead lines shows a good agreement with the engine test results.
- S. S. Cho et al., 2006, "Finite Element Modeling and Parameter Study of Half-Bead of MLS Cylinder Head Gasket", Int. J. of Automotive Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 109-114.
- T. Noguchi et al., 1985, "Thermal Stress and Deformation Analysis of Exhaust Manifold of Internal-Combustion Engine", JSAE Review, pp. 34-39.
- B. L. Choi, 2007, "Leakage Analysis of Exhaust Gas for the Engine Exhaust Manifold", Trans. of KSAE, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 160-165.
- Kim, B. K., Lee, E. H. and Choi, B. L., 2007, "Thermal Deformation Analysis of Exhaust Manifold for Turbo Diesel Engine in Considering of Flange Design", Trans. of KSAE, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 338-343.
- ABAQUS Analysis User's Manual, Vol IV : Elements, Dassault Systemes.