- Volume 45 Issue 3
Effects of UV Initiator on Properties of Polymer-Modified Asphalt
자외선 경화제가 고분자개질아스팔트의 물성에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Kang, Hyun-Seung (Department of Polymer Engineering, Suwon University) ;
- Hong, Young-Keun (Department of Polymer Engineering, Suwon University)
- Received : 2010.05.10
- Accepted : 2010.06.24
- Published : 2010.09.30
Paved roads are suffered from the permanent plastic deformation in hot summer and cracks in cold winter, which are detrimental to safe driving. This leads to necessity of modification of asphalt to resist those deformation. In this study, two kinds of modifiers were examined; organic polymers and a photoinitiator which is activated by ultraviolet lay. The mechanical and rheololgical properties of modified asphalts were examined using UTM and rheometer. Results showed that the properties were varied depending on the types of polymer and irradiation time. UV irradiation increased the tensile strength and storage modulus of thermoplastic polymer-modified asphalt, however UV was not effective on thermoset polymer. According to long term ultraviolet curing test, properties of the polymer/photoinitiator-modified asphalt did not decrease, but rather increase for 20 years. This indicates that the useful life of the asphalt could be extended by addition of photoinitiator.
Supported by : 신양문화재단
- J. Read and D. Whiteoak, "The Shell Bitumen Handbook", Shell Bitumen, 2003.
- M.B. Ko and Y.K. Hong, "Improvement of Deformation Resistancy of Asphalt by Modification with Tire Rubber", Elastomer, 43, 72 (2008).
- U.L.F Isacsson and L.U. Xiaohu, "Characterization of Bitumens Modified with SEBS, EVA and EBA Polymers", J. Mater. Sci., 34, 3737 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004636329521
- D.N. Little, J.W. Button, and R.M. White, Investigation of Asphalt Additives, FHWA/RD-87-001, Texas Transportation Institute (1986).
- M.A. Caltabiano, "Reflection Cracking in Asphalt Overlays" Thesis, University of Nottingham (1990).
- T.S. Shuler and R.D. Pavlovich, Characterization of polymer modified binders, New Mexico State Highway Department, Report 52001 (1987).
- K.S. Kim and Y.K. Hong, "A Study on the Storage Stability of Waste Vinyl-Modified Asphalt", Elastomer, 43, 191 (2008).
- 조희구, 이방용, 이준석, 박선욱, "한국전역의 자외선복사 계절기후", 한국기상학회지, 37, 525 (2001).
- U.L.F Isacsson and L.U. Xiaohu, "Characterization of bitumens modified with SEBS, EVA and EBA polymers", J. Mater. Sci., 34, 3737 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004636329521
- K.J. Saunders, "Organic Polymer Chemistry", Chapman & Hall, London, 1988.
- G. Polacco, J. Stastna, and P. Michalica, "Memory Functions in Polymer Modified Asphalts", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 104, 2330 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.25713
- Asphalt Institute, "Superpave Performance Graded Asphalt Binder Specification and Testing", AI, 1997.
- M.A. Ali, M. Khan, and K.M.I. Ali, "Relationship between Mechanical Properties and Glass Transition Temperature of UV Cured Polymer", Polym. Plast. Technol. & Eng., 37, 175 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1080/03602559808006919