- Volume 45 Issue 3
Effects of Processing Geometry on the Mechanical Properties and Silica Dispersion of Silica-Filled Isobutylene-Isoprene Rubber (IIR) Compounds
롤밀과 밀폐식 혼합기가 실리카 분산 및 부틸고무 복합소재의 물성에 미치는 영향
- Kim, S.M. (Dong Ah Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd) ;
- Cho, H.W. (Dong Ah Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd) ;
- Kim, J.W. (Dong Ah Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd) ;
- Kim, K.J. (Dong Ah Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd)
- Received : 2010.05.26
- Accepted : 2010.08.18
- Published : 2010.09.30
We investigated the effects of processing geometry of silica-filled isobutylene-isoprene rubber (IIR) compounds on its mechanical properties and silica dispersion, using a two roll mill and an internal mixer (banbury mixer). The compound processed with the two roll mill showed the longer induction time (
- C. H. Kim, "Rubber Compounding in Banbury Mixer", Elastomer, 30, 269 (1995).
- K. J. Kim and J. L. White, "TESPT and Different Aliphatic Silane Treated Silica Compounds Effects on Silica Agglomerate Dispersion and on Processability During Mixing in EPDM", J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 7, 50 (2001).
- Arkles, B., Tailoring Surfaces with Silanes, Chemtech, 7, 766 (1977).
- J. H. Bachmann, J. W. Sellers, and M. P. Wagner, "Fine Particle Reinforcing Silicas and Silicates in Elastomers", Rubber Chem. Technol., 32, 1286 (1959). https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3542491
- E. M. Dannenberg, "The Effects of SurfaceChemical Interactions on the Properties of Filler Reinforced Rubbers", Rubber Chem. Technol., 48, 410 (1975). https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3547460
- E. M. Dannenberg, "Reinforcement of Silicone Rubber by Particulate Silica", Rubber Chem. Technol., 48, 558 (1975). https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3539660
- M. P. Wagner, "Reinforcing Silicas and Silicates", Rubber Chem. Technol., 49, 703 (1976). https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3534979
- A. Krysztafkiewicz, "Modified Silica Precipitated in the Medium of Organic Solvents-anActive Rubber Filler", Colloid Polym. Sci., 267, 399 (1989) https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01410184
- A. I. Isayev, C. K. Hong and K. J. Kim, "Continuous Mixing and Compounding of Polymer/Filler and Polymer/Polymer Mixtures with the Aid of Ultrasound", Rubber Chem. Technol., 76, 923 (2003). https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3547782
- K. J. Kim and J. L. White, "Silica Agglomerate Breakdown In Three-Stage Mix Including A Continuous Ultrasonic Extruder", J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 6, 372 (2000).
- G. Heiss, "Mixing silica compounds", Krupp Rubber Machinery Inc., ITEC-2000 (No 5B), Akron OH, (Sept. 2000).
- S. C. Han, S. J. Choi, and M. H. Han, "Mixing technology of Silica Compounds", Ruber technology, 2 (2001).
- S. S. Choi, B. H. Park, W. S. Kim, and W. D. Kim, "Influence of Silane Coupling Agenton Retraction Behaviors of NR Vulcanizates Reinforced with Carbon Black and Clay", Elastomer, 40, 112 (2005).
- J. B. Moon, "Influence of Silane Coupling Agent Treatments on Physical Properties of Rubbery Materials", Elastomer, 36, 237 (2001).
- S. S. Choi, "Influence of Filler Composition Ratio on Properties of Both Silica and Carbon Black-Filled Styrene-Butadiene Bubber Compounds", Elastomer, 36, 37 (2001).
- R. K. Gupta, E. Kennal, and K. J. Kim, Polymer Nanocomposites Handbook, CRC Press, Boca Raton (2009).
- J. L. White and K. J. Kim, Thermoplastic and Rubber Compounds: Technology and Physical Chemistry, Hanser Publisher, Munich (2008).
- K. J. Kim and J. Vanderkooi, "TESPT and Treated Silica Compounds on TESPT Rheological Property and Silica Break Down in Natural Rubber", Kautsch. Gummi Kunstst., 55, 518 (2002).
- K. J. Kim and J. Vanderkooi, "Effects of Zinc Soap on TESPT and TESPD treated Silica Compounds on Processing and Silica Dispersion in Polyisoprene Rubber", Rubber World, 226, 39 (2002).
- K. J. Kim and J. Vanderkooi, "Rheological Effects of Zinc Surfactant on the TESPT-Silica Mixture in NR and S-SBR Com-pounds", Int. Polym. Proc., 17, 192 (2002).
- K. J. Kim and J. Vanderkooi, "Effects of Zinc Fatty Acids on Improved Polymer Processing for Critical Extrusions", Int. Polym. Proc., 18, 156 (2003). https://doi.org/10.3139/217.1734
- K. J. Kim and J. Vanderkooi, "Reactive Batch Mixing for Improved Silica silane (TESPD) Coupling", Int. polym. Proc., 19, 364 (2004).
- K. J. Kim and J. Vanderkooi, "Moisture Effects on Improved Hydrolysis Reaction for TESPT and TESPD-silica Compounds", Composite Interfaces, 11, 471 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1163/1568554042722946
- K. J. Kim and J. Vanderkooi, "Zinc surfactant Effects on Processability and Mechanical Properties of Silica Filled Natural Rubber Compounds", J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 10, 772 (2004).
- K. J. Kim and J. Vanderkooi, "Zinc surfactant Effects on NR/TESPD/Silica and SBR/TESPD /Silica Compounds", Elastomer, 39, 263 (2004).
- K. J. Kim and J. Vanderkooi, "Moisture Effects on TESPD-silica/CB/SBR Com-pounds", Rubber Chem. Technol., 78, 84 (2005). https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3547875
- K. J. Kim and J. Vanderkooi, "Temperature Effects of silane Coupling on Moisture Treated Silica Surface", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 95, 623 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.21373
- K. J. McNeil, J. A. DiCapri, D. A. Walsh, and R. F. Pratt, Kinetics and mechanism of hydrolysis of a silicate triester, tris(2-methoxyethoxy)phenylsilane, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 102, 1859 (1980). https://doi.org/10.1021/ja00526a015
- S. S. Park, B. H. Park, K. C. Song, and S. K. Kim, "Effect of Mixing Mode on the Fracture Properties of Silica and Carbon Black Filled NR Vulcanizates", Polymer(Korea), 24, 220 (2000).