- Volume 13 Issue 2
Globalization of Engineering Education in Asia
- Kim, Yun-Hae ;
- Hanabusa, Takao ;
- Park, Se-Ho
- Received : 2009.12.04
- Accepted : 2010.05.10
- Published : 2010.05.31
The Asian Conference on Engineering Education has organized and is held in Busan. This paper tells the steps for the process of planning of this conference. Firstly, the Innovation Center for Engineering Education in Korea Maritime University and the Center for Innovation and Creativity Development in The University of Tokushima signed the mutual interchange agreement on engineering education in 2005. The interrelation of both centers has made a continuous relation by mutual visiting of teachers and students. The first symposium on engineering education between the two universities was held in 2006. Three symposia were succeeded until now. By the way, the Japanese five-university coalition of engineering education was composed in 2004. This five-university coalition annually held the symposium on engineering education. Two teachers and two students of each university participated in the symposium and introduced their activities. Annual symposium was held every year from 2004 to 2008. Based on these two kinds of symposium, we have planned to enlarge the relationship by including partner universities in both countries. The capstone design coalition on engineering education between the Center for Innovation and Creativity Development in the University of Tokushima and the innovation center for engineering education in Korea Maritime University are introduced. The interrelation of both centers has held by mutual visiting of teachers and students during four years. The capstone design activities of Korea Maritime University and the students' creative design projects of the University of Tokushima were introduced each other. This coalition is planned that it needs to be enlarged by including partner universities in Asian countries.
Globalization;Engineering Education;Asia;Asian Conference on Engineering Education(ACEE)
- European Commission(2005), Special Eurobarometer 224- Europeans, Science & Technology.
- Floreman, Samuel C.(1994), The Existential Pleasure of Engineering, 2nd Edition, St. Martin's Griffin N.Y.
- Thompson, B.S.(1998), Creative Engineering Design, Fourth Edition, Okemos Press.
- S.W.Cha, K.S.Lee(2004), Development of engineering education course for training creative engineering using axiomatic design, ICAD 2004.
- ABEEK-Accreditation Board for Engineering Education of Korea(2010), KEC 2005, [On-line]. Available: http:// www.abeek.or.kr
- Osamu Tsubakihara, Recent Status of Engineering Education in Japan, Presented at the ASEE 2005 Annual Meeting, June 12, 2005.
- Hideo Ohashi, Establishing engineering profession in Japan, Accreditation, professional
- qualification and CPD., Presented at the 3rd ASEE International Colloquium on Engineering Education, September 7-10, 2004, Beijing