- Volume 13 Issue 3
The Role and Task of English Medium Instruction(EMI) for Educating Global Engineers
글로벌 공학인재 양성을 위한 영어강의의 역할과 과제
- Han, Kyong-Hee (Innovation Center for Engineering Education, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Heo, Jun-Haeng (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Yun, Il-Gu (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Yonsei Univ.)
- Received : 2010.02.11
- Accepted : 2010.03.24
- Published : 2010.06.30
This article explores how we pursue and operate the English medium instruction(EMI) in engineering colleges so as to educate global engineers. Engineering students in the 21st century society need to have fundamental work in languages, cultural differences, and strategies for working with diverse colleagues. EMI is not sufficient for preparing our engineering students to cope with the changed environments in our globalized society. Based on the case study, we emphasize that EMI needs to be located in the context of global engineering education which demands our understanding of different cultures and communication practices. We also suggest some programs how we develop our EMI circumstances.
Global engineer;English medium instruction;Engineering education;Global competency
- 이상조.한경희.전국진.위인숙.손병호.김용진(2008). 21세기형 이공계 인력양성을 위한 정책 연구. 교육과학기술부.
- 강소현.박혜선(2004). 공학분야에서의 영어강의에 대한 기초연구. 공학교육연구.
- Allert, B. I., Atkinson, D. L., Groll, E. A., and Hirleman, E. D.(2007). Making the Case for Global Engineering: Building Foreign Language Collaborations for Designing, Implementing, and Assessing Programs. Online Journal for Global Engineering Education 2(2), Art1.
- owney, G.L., Lucena, J.C., Moskal, B.M., Bigley, T., Hays, C., Jesiek, B., Kelly, L., Lehr, J., Miller, J., Nichols-Belo, A., Ruff, S., and Parkhurst, R.(2006). The Globally Competent Engineer: Working Effectively with People Who Define Problems Differently. Journal of Engineering Education, April.
- Committee on Engineering Education, National Academy of Engineering, Educating the Engineer of 2020: Adapting Engineering Education to the New Century(2005). Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press.