- Volume 22 Issue 3
The Compressive Strength of Longitudinally Stiffened Plates Undergoing Local and Distortional Buckling
국부좌굴과 뒤틀림좌굴이 발생하는 종방향 보강재로 보강된 강판의 압축강도
- Received : 2010.03.12
- Accepted : 2010.05.24
- Published : 2010.06.27
This paper describes an experimental research on the structural behavior and the ultimate strength of longitudinally stiffened plates subjected to local, distortional, or mixed-mode buckling under compression. The stiffened plate undergoes local, distortional, or interactive local-distortional buckling according to the flexural rigidity of the plate's longitudinal stiffeners and the width-thickness ratios of the sub-panels of the stiffened plate. A significant post-buckling strength in the local and distortional modes affects the ultimate strength of the longitudinally stiffened plate. Compression tests were conducted on stiffened plates that were fabricated from 4mm-thick SM400 steel plates with a nominal yield stress of 235MPa. A simple strength formula for the Direct Strength Method based on the test results was proposed. This paper proves that the Direct Strength Method can properly predict the ultimate strength of stiffened plates when the local buckling and distortional buckling occur simultaneously or nearly simultaneously.
Grant : 기초연구사업-일반연구자지원과제
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 건설교통부(2005) 도로교설계기준. 한국도로교통협회.
- 권영봉(2000) Buckling Analysis Program(BAP) 사용자메뉴얼, 영남대학교
- AASHT (2007) LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, 4th ed., American Association of State Highway and Trandportational Officials, Washington, DC.
- Choi, B.H., Hwang, M.O., and Park, C.H. (2005) Experimental Study on Inelastic Buckling Behavior of Stiffened Plates in Compression. Proc. 3rd International Symposium on Steel Structures, Seoul. Korea. pp. 89-96.
- ECS (2003) Eurocode3 Design of steel structures. Part 1-2: General rules for building. European Committee for Standardization, Brussel, Belgium.
- ECS (2006) Eurocode3 Design of steel structures. Part 1-5: Plated structured elements, European Committee for Standardization, Brussel, Belgium.
- FEA (2009) LUSAS Element Reference Manual & User's Manual (version 14.3-1).
- Kwon, Y.B. and Hancock, G.J. (1992) Strength Design Curves for Thin-Walled Sections Undergoing local and Distortional Buckling. Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE. Vol. 118, No. 7, pp.1786-1803. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1992)118:7(1786)
- Lau, S.C.W. and Hancock, G.J. (1986) Buckling of Thin Flat-Walled Structures by a Spline Finite Strip Method. Thin-Walled Structures, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 269-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8231(86)90034-0
- LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, 4th ed., AASHT (2007) Washington DC, USA.
- Thang, D.D., Koo, M.S., Hameed, A., and Jeong, Y.D. (2009) Stiffness Requirement for Flat-Bar Longitudinal Stiffener of Box-Girder Compression Flanges. International Journal of Steel Structures, Vol. 9. No.2. pp.115-122. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03249486
- Yang, D. and Hancock, G.J. (2004) Compression Tests of High Strength Steel Channel Columns with Interaction between Local and Distortional Buckling. Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE. Vol. 130, No. 12, pp. 1954-1963 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:12(1954)
- Yoo, C.H. (2001) Design of Longitudinal Stiffeners on Box Girder Flanges. International Journal of Steel Structures, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 15-23.
- Yoo, C.H., Choi, B.H. and Ford, E.M. (2001a) Stiffness Requirement for Longitudinally Stiffened Box-girder Flanges. Journal of structural engineering, ASCE. Vol. 127, No. 6, pp.705-711. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:6(705)
- Yoo, C.H., Choi, B.H. and Ford, E.M. (2001b) Stiffness Requirement for Longitudinally Stiffened Box-girder Flanges. Journal of structural engineering, ASCE. Vol. 127, No. 6, pp.954-1963.
- Kwon, Y.B., Kim, B.S., and Hancock, G.J. (2009) Compression Tests of High Strength Cold-Formed Steel Channels with Buckling Interaction. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 65. pp.278-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.07.005