- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Dynamic reliability of structures: the example of multi-grid composite walls
- Liu, Pei (School of Civil Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Yaoa, Qian-Feng (School of Civil Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University)
- Received : 2010.03.01
- Accepted : 2010.07.13
- Published : 2010.11.10
Based on damage accumulation of multi-grid composite walls, a method of dynamic reliability estimations is proposed. The multi-grid composite wall is composed of edge frame beam, edge frame columns, grid beams, grid columns and filling blocks. The equations including stiffness, shear forces at filling blocks cracking and multi-grid composite walls yielding, ultimate displacement, and damage index are obtained through tests of 13 multi-grid composite wall specimens. Employing these equations in reliability calculations, procedures of dynamic reliability estimations based on damage accumulation of multi-grid composite walls subjected to random earthquake excitations are proposed. Finally the proposed method is applied to the typical composite wall specimen subjected to random earthquake excitations which can be specified by a finite number of input random variables. The dynamic reliability estimates, when filling blocks crack under earthquakes corresponding to 63% exceedance in 50 years and when the composite wall reach limit state under earthquakes corresponding to 2-3% exceedance in 50 years, are obtained using the proposed method by taking damage indexes as thresholds. The results from the proposed method which show good agreement with those from Monte-Carlo simulations demonstrate the proposed method is effective.
- Augusti, G. and Ciampoli, M. (2008), "Performance-based design in risk assessment and reduction", Probabilist Eng. Mech., 23(4), 496-508. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2008.01.007
- Au, S.K. and Beck, J.L. (2001), "Failure excursion probabilities for linear systems by efficient importance sampling", Probabilist Eng. Mech., 16(3), 193-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-8920(01)00002-9
- Au, S.K. and Beck, J.L. (2001), "Estimation of small failure probabilities in high dimensions by subset simulation", Probabilist Eng. Mech., 16(4), 263-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-8920(01)00019-4
- Chaudhuri, A. and Chakraborty, S. (2003), "Reliability evaluations of 3-D frame subjected to non-stationary earthquake", J. Sound Vib., 259(4), 797-808. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2002.5115
- Chau, K.W. (2007), "Reliability and performance-based design by artificial neural network", Adv. Eng. Softw., 38(3), 145-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2006.09.008
- Chau, K.W. and Albermani, F. (2003), "Knowledge-based system on optimum design of liquid retaining structures with genetic algorithms", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 129(10), 1312-1321. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:10(1312)
- Cheng, C.T., Chau, K.W. and Li, X.Y. (2007), "Hydrologic uncertainty for Bayesian probabilistic forecasting model based on BP ANN", Proceedings of the third IEEE International Conference on Natural Computation, Haikou, China, August.
- Clough, R.W. and Penzien, J. (1993), Dynamics of Structures, 2nd edition, McGraw Hill, Inc., New York.
- Dymiotis, C., Kappos, A.J. and Chryssanthopoulos, M.K. (1999), "Seismic reliability of RC frames with uncertain drift and member capacity", J. Eng. Mech.-ASCE, 125(9), 1038-1047.
- Dymiotis, C., Kappos, A.J. and Chryssanthopoulos, M.K. (2001), "Seismic reliability of masonry-filled RC frames", J. Eng. Mech.-ASCE, 127(3), 296-305.
- Hurtado, J.E. and Barbat, A.H. (2000), "Equivalent linearization of the Bouc-Wen hysteretic model", Eng. Struct., 22(2), 1121-1132. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(99)00056-5
- Jensen, H.A. and Valdebenito, M.A. (2007), "Reliability analysis of linear dynamical systems using approximate representations of performance functions", Struct. Saf., 29(3), 222-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2006.07.004
- Jia, Y.J., Yuan, Q. and Yao, Q.F. (2005), "Study on seismic behavior of multi-ribbed slab structures", Proceedings of the International Symposium on Innovation and Sustainability of Structures in Civil Engineering-Including Seismic Engineering, Nanjing, China, November.
- Katafygiotis, L.S. and Cheung, S.H. (2006), "Domain decomposition method for calculating the failure probability of linear dynamic systems subjected to Gaussian stochastic loads", J. Eng. Mech.-ASCE, 132(5), 475-486. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2006)132:5(475)
- Katafygiotis, L.S., Moan, T. and Cheung, S.H. (2007), "Auxiliary domain method for solving multi-objective dynamic reliability problems for nonlinear structures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 25(3), 402-423.
- McMillan, H.K. and Brasington, J. (2008), "End-to-end flood risk assessment: A coupled model cascade with uncertainty estimation", Water Resour. Res., 44(3), W03419. https://doi.org/10.1029/2007WR005995
- Moller, O., Foschi, R.O. and Rubinstein, M. (2009), "Seismic structural reliability using different nonlinear dynamic response surface approximations", Struct. Saf., 31(5), 432-442. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2008.12.001
- Park, Y.J. and Ang, A.H. (1985), "Mechanistic seismic damage model for reinforced concrete", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 111(4), 722-739. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:4(722)
- Song, T.T. and Grigoriu, M. (1993), Random Vibration of Mechanical and Structural Systems, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.
- Takada, T. and Yamaguchi, K. (2002), "Two-step seismic limit state design procedure based on non-linear LRFD and dynamic response analyses", Struct. Saf., 24(2), 397-415. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4730(02)00034-6
- Wen, Y.K. (1976), "Method for random vibration of hysteretic systems", J. Eng. Mech. Div.-ASCE, 102(2), 249-263.
- Xue, Q. and Chen, C.C. (2003), "Performance-based seismic design of structures: a direct displacement-based approach", Eng. Struct., 25(14), 1803-1813. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.08.003
- Xue, S.D., Wang, X.S. and Cao, Z. (2003), "Parameters study on seismic random model based on the new seismic code", China Civil Eng. J., 36(5), 5-10. (in Chinese)
- Yao, Q.F., Hou, L.N. and Huang, W. (2008), "Shear capacity of multi-ribbed composite wall", Proceedings of the tenth International Symposium on Structural Engineering for Young Experts, Changsha, China, October.
- Yuan, Q., Yao, Q.F. and Jia, Y.J. (2006), "Study on hysteretic model and damage model of multi-ribbed composite wall", Proceedings of the International Symposium on Environmental Ecology and Technology of Concrete, Urumqi, China, June.
- Yu, X.F. and Yao, Q.F. (2008), "Stiffness research of multi-ribbed composite slab based on composite material model", Proceedings of the Tenth International Symposium on Structural Engineering for Young Experts, Changsha, China, October.
- Zhang, H.W. and Zhong, W.X. (2000), "Discussion about numerical computation of the matrix exponential", J. Dalian Univ. Technol., 40(5), 522-525. (in Chinese)
- Zhang, J.S. and Foschi, R.O. (2004), "Performance-based design and seismic reliability analysis using designed experiments and neural networks", Probabilist Eng. Mech., 19(3), 259-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2004.02.009
- Zhang, S.W. and Cao, K.B. (2000), "Direct integration of state equation method for dynamic response of structure", Chinese J. Comput. Mech., 17(1), 94-97. (in Chinese)
- Analysis of the Stiffness Ratio at the Interim Layer of Frame-Supported Multi-Ribbed Lightweight Walls under Low-Reversed Cyclic Loading vol.6, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/app6010021
- An Experimental Study of Frame-Supported Multi-Ribbed Composite Walls vol.18, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43126.96.36.1997
- Experimental study on frame-supported multi-ribbed composite walls under low-reversed cyclic loading vol.20, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/19648189.2015.1036126
- Simplified Calculation Model and Finite-element Analysis of Frame-supported Ribbed-Grid Composite Slab Structure 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-017-0457-5
- Damage Index Calibration of Frame-Supported Concealed Multi-Ribbed Wall Panels with Energy-Efficient Blocks vol.7, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/app7050453
- Calculation Method of the Horizontal Displacement on the Multi-Grid Composite Wall-Shear Wall Structure vol.217-218, pp.1662-8985, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.217-218.706
- Experimental Study on Mechanical Properties of Improved Multi-Grid Composite Wall vol.217-218, pp.1662-8985, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.217-218.752
- Displacement Equations Using Force Method for Frame-Composite Walls under Horizontal Loads vol.137, pp.1662-7482, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.137.106
- Seismic Performance Experimental Research on the Multi-Ribbed Composite Wall-Transfer Layer Supported on Frame vol.438-439, pp.1662-7482, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.438-439.1481
- A Comparative Study on Seismic Performance of Precast Shear Walls Designed with Different Variables vol.22, pp.12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-016-0765-1
- Cycle behaviour of precast composite wall with different ecological filled blocks pp.2048-4011, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433218785212