- Volume 35 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Finite Element Analysis of Sound Transfer Characteristics for Middle Ear
유한요소 모델을 이용한 중이의 소리전달 특성 해석
- Gal, Young-Min (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-eui Univ.) ;
- Baek, Moo-Jin (Dept. of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Inje University Haeundae Paik Hospital) ;
- Lee, Doo-Ho (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-eui Univ.)
- Received : 2011.04.19
- Accepted : 2011.05.17
- Published : 2011.12.01
In this study, we developed a finite element model of the human middle ear has been developed to calculate itsfor sound transfer characteristics calculation. We usedThe geometric data forof ossicles, obtained byfrom micro-CT scanning, was used in order to develop the middle- ear FE model. A right- side temporal bone of a Korean cadaver was used for the micro-CT scanning. The developed FE model includes three ossicles, the tympanic membrane, ligaments, and muscles. We calculated theA sound transfer function from the tympanic membrane to the stapes footplate was calculated. The sound transfer function calculated vias of the FE model shows good agreement with measured responses over the 10- kHz frequency band. To measureidentify the sensitivityies of the middle- ear function due to material property variation, we studied several parameters studies have been fulfilled using the middle ear FE model. TAs a result the stiffness property of the incudostapedial joint had the greatest influence onwas the most influential to the middle- ear sound transfer function among the parameters.
Middle Ear;Finite Element Model;Sound Transfer Function;Micro CT;Ossicles
Supported by : 한국 연구재단
- Sun, Q., Gan, R. Z., Chang, K. H. and Dormer, K. J., 2002, "Computer-Integrated Finite Element Modeling of Human Middle Ear," Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp.109-122. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10237-002-0014-z
- Gan, R. Z., Sun, Q., Feng, B. and Wood, M. W., 2006, "Acoustic-Structural Coupled Finite Element Analysis for Sound Transmission in Human Ear--Pressure Distributions," Medical Engineering & Physics, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp.395-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2005.07.018
- Kringlebotn, M., 1988, "Network Model for the Human Middle Ear," Scandinavian Audiology, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp.75-85. https://doi.org/10.3109/01050398809070695
- Goode, R. L., Killion, M., Nakamura, K. and Nishihara, S., 1994, "New Knowledge About the Function of the Human Middle Ear: Development of An Improved Analog Model," Otology & Neurotology, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.145-154.
- Zhao, F., Koike, T., Wang, J., Sienz, H. and Meredith, R., 2009, "Finite Element Analysis of the Middle Ear Transfer Functions and Related Pathologies," Medical Engineering and Physics, Vol. 31, No. 8, pp.907-916. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2009.06.009
- Wada, H, Metoki, T, Kobayashi and T, G., 1992, "Analysis of Dynamic Behavior of Human Middle Ear Using a Finite-Element Method," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 92, No. 6,
- Koike, T., Wada, H. and Kobayashi, T., 2002, "Modeling of the Human Middle Ear Using the Finite- Element Method," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 111, No. 3, pp.1306-1317. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1451073
- Prendergast, P. J., Ferris, P., Rice, H. J. and Blayney, A. W., 1999, "Vibro-Acoustic Modelling of the Outer and Middle Ear Using the Finite-Element Method," Audiology and Neurotology, Vol. 4, No. 3-4, pp.185-191. https://doi.org/10.1159/000013839
- Gan, R. Z., Sun, Q., Dyer, R. K. J., Chang, K.-H. and Dormer, K. J., 2002, "Three-Dimensional Modeling of Middle Ear Biomechanics and Its Applications," Otology & Neurotology, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp.271-280. https://doi.org/10.1097/00129492-200205000-00008
- Sun, Q., Chang, K.-H., Dormer, K. J., Dyer, R. K. and Gan, R. Z., 2002, "An Advanced Computer-Aided Geometric Modeling and Fabrication Method for Human Middle Ear," Medical Engineering & Physics, Vol. 24, No. 9, pp.595-606. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1350-4533(02)00045-0
- Gan, R. Z., Dai, C., Wang, X., Nakmali, D. and Wood, M. W., 2010, "A Totally Implantable Hearing System - Design and Function Characterization in 3D Computational Model and Temporal Bones," Hearing Research, Vol. 263, No. 1-2, pp.138-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heares.2009.09.003
- Aibara, R., Welsh, J. T., Puria, S. and Goode, R. L., 2001, "Human Middle-Ear Sound Transfer Function and Cochlear Input Impedance," Hearing Research, Vol. 152, No. 1-2, pp.100-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5955(00)00240-9
- Gan, R. Z., Wood, M. W. and Dormer, K. J., 2004, "Human Middle Ear Transfer Function Measured by Double Laser Interferometry System," Otology & Neurotology, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp.423-435. https://doi.org/10.1097/00129492-200407000-00005
- Whittemore, K. R., Merchant, S. N., Poon, B. B. and Rosowski, J. J., 2004, "A Normative Study of Tympanic Membrane Motion in Humans Using a Laser Doppler Vibrometer (LDV)," Hearing Research, Vol. 187, No. 1-2, pp.85-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5955(03)00332-0
- Voss, S. E., Rosowski, J. J., Merchant, S. N. and Peake, W. T., 2000, "Acoustic Responses of the Human Middle Ear," Hearing Research, Vol. 150, No. 1-2, pp.43-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5955(00)00177-5
- Nishihara, S. and Goode, R. L., 1996, "Measurement of Tympanic Membrane Vibration in 99 Human Ears," The Proceedings of Middle ear mechanics in research and otosurgery(1996), pp. 91-93.
- Lee, D., Ahn, T.-S. and Ki, D., 2010, "Boundary Element Analysis for Head-Related Transfer Function in the Case of Korean Adults," Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A, Vol. 34, No. 8, pp.1035-1044. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.8.1035
- Able Software Corp, 2011, 3D-Doctor, http://www.ablesw.com/3d-doctor/index.html, Lexington, MA 02420, USA.
- Goode, R. L., Ball, G. and Nishihara, S., 1993, "Measurement of Umbo Vibration in Human Subjects- Method and Possible Clinical Applications," Otology & Neurotology, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.247-251.
- Goode, R, L., Ball, G, Nishihara, S, Nakamura and K, G., 1996, "Laser Doppler Vibrometer (LDV) : A New Clinical Tool for the Otologist," The American Journal of Otology, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp.813-822.
- Statistical calibration of a finite element model for human middle ear vol.29, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-015-0609-9