- Volume 35 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Three-dimensional Locomotion and Drilling Microrobot Using Electromagnetic Actuation System
전자기 구동 시스템을 이용한 마이크로로봇의 3차원 이동 및 드릴링
- Li, Jie (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Choi, Hyun-Chul (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Cha, Kyoung-Rae (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Jeong, Se-Mi (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Park, Jong-Oh (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Park, Suk-Ho (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.)
- 이걸 (전남대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 최현철 (전남대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 차경래 (전남대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 정세미 (전남대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 박종오 (전남대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 박석호 (전남대학교 기계공학부)
- Received : 2011.05.25
- Accepted : 2011.09.06
- Published : 2011.12.01
In this study, a novel electromagnetic microrobot system with locomotion and drilling functions in threedimensional space was developed. Because of size limitations, the microrobot does not have actuator, battery, and controller. Therefore, an electromagnetic actuation (EMA) system was used to drive the robot. The proposed EMA system consists of three rectangular Helmholtz coil pairs in x-, y- and z-axes and a Maxwell coil pair in the z-axis. The magnetic field generated in the EMA coil system could be controlled by the input current of the EMA coil. Finally, through various experiments, the locomotion and drilling performances of the proposed EMA microrobot system were verified.
Microrobot;Electromagnetic Actuation System;Helmholtz Coil;Maxwell Coil
- Kim, B. J., Hong, S. B., Shim, T. S., Lim, C. M., Lee, S. D., Koh, Y., Kim, W. S., Kim, D. S., Kim, W. D. and Oh, Y. M., 2006, ''Cause of Death in COPD Patients of a Referral Hospital," Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases, Vol. 60, pp.510-511. https://doi.org/10.4046/trd.2006.60.5.510
- Park, I. S., Lee, C. M., Kim, Y. T. and Ha, H. G., 1998, "Post-Shunt Infection in Hydrocephalus'' KISEP Clinical Research, J Koream Neurosurg Soc 27 , pp.476-480.
- Cho, J. H., 2010, "Endoscopic Endonasal Transsphenoidal Skull Base Surgery'' Korean J otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg, pp.135-142. https://doi.org/10.3342/kjorl-hns.2010.53.3.135
- Nelson, B. J., Kaliakatsos, I. K. and Abbott, J. J., 2010, "Microrobots for Minimally Invasive Medicine," Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 12, pp. 55-85. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-bioeng-010510-103409
- Abbott, J. J., Nagy, Z., Beyeler, F. and Nelson, B. J., 2007, "Robotics in the Small-Part I : Microrobotics," IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol. 14, pp. 92-103. https://doi.org/10.1109/MRA.2007.380641
- Thomas, W. R., Kailat, P. V. and Abbott, J. J., 2010, "Wireless Control of Magnetic Helical Microrobots Using a Rotating-Permanent-Magnet Manipulator," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp.576-581.
- Tammz, S., Gourdeau, R., Chanu, A., Mathieu, J. B. and Martel, S., 2008, "Real-Time MRI-Based Control of a Ferromagnetic Core for Endovascular Navigation," IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 55, pp.1854-1863. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2008.919720
- Yu, C., Kim, J., Choi, H., Choi, J., Jeong, S., Cha, K., Park, J. and Park, S., 2010, "Novel Electromagnetic Actuation System for Three-Dimensional Locomotion and Drilling of Intravascular Microrobot," Sensors and Actuators A : Physical, Vol. 161, pp. 297-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2010.04.037
- Lin, S. T. and Kaufmann, A. R., 1953, "Helmholtz Coils for Production of Powerful and Uniform Fields and Gradients," Reviews of Modern Physics, Vol. 25, pp. 182-190. https://doi.org/10.1103/RevModPhys.25.182
- Jin, J. M., 1998, "Electromagnetics in Magnetic Resonance Imaging," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 40, pp. 7-22.
- Han, B. H., Park, S. and Lee, S. Y., 2008, "Gradient Waveform Synthesis for Magnetic Propulsion Using MRI Gradient Coils," Physic in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 53, pp. 4639-4649. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/53/17/012