- Volume 35 Issue 12
Analysis method for mechanism has been fully developed and relatively easy work compared to mechanism synthesis. Developing or creating a new mechanism for a given task is a creative job. In this case, a few theories are developed such as type synthesis. However, these methods are not sufficient for mechanism designers to sufficientely take into account alternative mechanism models during the initial phase of the mechanism design process. This paper presents the configuration design of mechanisms using graphical representation in the conceptual design stage. In this stage of kinematic synthesis, one needs to select mechanisms and configure appropriately to realize the desired motion of a machine. Graphical representation of mechanisms is proposed in this paper to help a designer to be highly creative and efficient in the initial design process. It is possible to easily design and analyze the mechanism of a machine by using this method.
Mechanism Design;Configuration Design;Mechanism Synthesis;Degree of Freedom
- Chiou, S.-J. and Kota, S., 1999, "Automated Conceptual Design of Mechanisms," Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 34, pp. 467-495. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0094-114X(98)00037-8
- Grosjean, J., 1991, Kinematics and Dynamics of Mechanisms, McGRAW-HILL.
- Shigley & Mischke, 1986, Standard Handbook of Machine Design, McGRAW-HILL.
- Zou, H., Abdel-Malek, K.A. and Wang, J. Y., 1997, "Design Propagation in Mechanical Systems: Kinematic Analysis," Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 119, pp. 338-345. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2826353
- Erdman, A. G., (editor), 1993, Modern Kinematics: Developments in the Last Forty Years, John Wiley & sons, Inc.
- Mruthyunjaya, T.S., 2003, "Kinematic Structure of Mechanisms Revisited," Mechanism and Machine Theroy, Vol. 38, pp. 279-320. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0094-114X(02)00120-9
- Farhang, K. and Basu, P. S., 1994, "Kinematic Analysis and Synthesis of Three-Input, Eight-Bar Mechanisms Driven by Relatively Samll Cranks," Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 116, pp. 931-935.
- Lee, M.-Y., Erdman, A. G. and Gutman, Y., 1994, "Applications of Kinematic/Kinetic Performance Tools in Synthesis of Multi-DOF Mechanisms," Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 116, pp. 452-461. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2919400
- Thorpe, J. F., 1989. Mechanical Systems Components, Allyn and Bacon.
- Brown, D. C. and Chandrasedaran, B., 1985. Expert System for a Class of Mechanical Design Activity, J.S. Gero (ed.), IFIP, pp.259-282.